Body recomposition

Options
2»

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this lately, too. I thought I was supposed to eat a surplus to gain muscle/ bulk, but then everybody is talking about eating at a deficit. I will also look into the body recomp articles.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Yes, still spplying much of the insights gained.

Anytime you change the percentage of you lean muscle mass to fat is recomposition but the term has been usurped. Yes as you lose weight you are also losing lean muscle mass (everything that is not fat). Your body just don't need as much as your weights less. This is counterproductive as your muscle is also your biggest furnace and a major constituent of the lean muscle mass. To slow the muscle losses, your food choice has to be that which would limit that loss, i.e. focus on fat loss as opposed to weight loss. Higher protein content coupled with resistance training retards the muscle losses.

This is roughly what I did with an add twist that I focused on endurance before building strength. My first 3-4 weeks was just getting in shape so I can increase intensity and strengthen my muscles. This is because my perfered sport is cycling. Starting May I have loss 28 pounds with 17 to go. I eat just below maintenance because I can't stay with a 600 daily deficit; however I also burn around 800-900 calories per day average (30 minute walk at 4+ mph pace and an hour plus cycling, indoor ride are now up to 17.5 mph average from 14.5 mph and 18+ outdoors for an hour ride; much slower on longer rides) with a caloric restriction of 200 or so which equates to a daily deficit average of 400-500 (goal is one pound per week; I eat back around 50-75%). Per week I have one rest (hardest to stay on calorie deficit goal) and one light day. I have severely cut back on carbs but cycle my intakes with a structural refeed in 4-5 week with heavy carb to refuel my muscles and to moderate my metabolism. My strategy may not work for everyone but the key is an overall calorie restriction and building up my muscles to be more efficient at burning fat.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the necropost, but I wondered if the OP has had any success yet,
    and wanted to address the calorie issue:
    bschoo01 wrote:
    I calculated the calories I should eat on rest days vs training days. On rest days I would eat 2097 calories! And then on training days I would eat 2680! I feel like this is a lot of calories and I am afraid if I eat this much I will gain back the fat I have worked so hard to get rid of.
    Right now I have my calories goal set at 1830 a day and I eat my exercise cals back
    So you're supposed to eat 1830, but you regularly eat more than that...
    You're probably eating more than 2097 (only 267 more than your goal).
    2680 is only 850 more. Do you regularly exercise more than that, so you eat that much already?
    You might not be making that big of a change from what you're already doing.
    Stop eating exercise calories. Most people underestimate what they eat, and most machines (including MFP) overestimate calories burned. Ignore exercise calories and for most people those errors more or less cancel out.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    **I know this post is from November, but I want to comment anyway since it was brought back.**

I didn't see anyone talk about this, but the OP still has lots of weight to lose. That means that a slight calorie deficit (about 10-20% under TDEE) and lifting will get her the results she is looking for. Because she is a beginner with a lot to lose she will gain lean mass.

Recomposition is more for someone already close to or at their goal weight that wants to lose fat and get a leaner body without dropping much more weight. The OP does not need recomposition. It is not appropriate for her at the moment.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I agree with those saying to just continue on a deficit while training to minimize muscle loss.

Once you are closer to goal weight, maybe revisit the idea of recomp, or think about doing bulk/cut cycles. Recomp and bulk/cut are basically the same concept but different time frames.