How should I log food I ate from a restaurant with no nutritional info available?

Options
Hey guys, so I made a poor food selection last night. But, darn it, I am still going to log it! Problem is there is no nutritional info available on their website, whatsoever. So, how should I go about including it in my log? I would hate to guess, but is that better than not logging it?

Replies

• kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i would just type the food into MFP and see what comes up. i usually just estimate in this case.
  • Choobey
    Choobey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I do the same, just search through MFP and find something that is as close as possible and use that.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I agree with others try to type the food in the search and use one of those that come from another restaurant. Not always the best way but sometimes that is all we have. Good luck!
  • merlewalton
    merlewalton Posts: 43 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I agree. When I get something from somewhere and I have no idea I put what it was and pick the highest calorie thing that sounds as close as I can find.

For instance when I go out to eat when we are entertaining someone at work I usually get the BLT on whole wheat... so I search BLT whole wheat bread and just take what I can get off the list.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Just accept that it won't be accurate but find something in the database that's 'near enough'.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    You don't. Just accept it and move on.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Estimating and logging it is better than not logging at all. Search for the dish you ate in the MFP database and chose a number of them and see how many calories come up and choose the median estimate. Also take into account that it's probably not very accurate but at least you'll have some idea.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    I try to find something similar and usually choose something on the mid-high range of calories. Cause you can find a hamburger for 100 calories and for 1,000. I like to err on the side of caution because personally I would rather eat too little than too much.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a buffet next week with lots of food and desserts, I'm not going hold back because we rarely eat out. I wouldn't have a clue how many calories I'll be eating...
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I often don't log restaurant meals, I just put it in the notes. I don't eat out that much anymore so I don't worry about the odd meal I can't track.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Depending on my situation I will either:

1. Find something that looks like a reasonable equivalent in the database and guess.
    2. Break it down into parts almost like making a recipe. For example, for a burger, I would find an entry for a patty, the cheese, the bun, etc.
    3. Enter quick calories and cross my fingers I was anywhere close.
    4. Not track today.