RUDE DIRTBAG NEIGHBORS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

Options
I live in a pretty nice apartment, in a great part of town. We've lived here for almost 14 years. Many neighbors both good and bad have come and gone. The latest edition is a family that loves rap music and pit bulls ( I have nothing against these beautiful dogs) big dogs = HUGE STINKY DOO DOO on my tiny grassy area in front of my home. they love LOUD BASS THUMPING RAP MUSIC which plays about 6-10 hours a day. At times it's so loud I can't hear my own T.v or even my own thoughts, currently it's so loud my single pane windows are vibrating. I went to their apartment last week ( I've been putting up with this since they moved in about 2 months ago) and asked ever so politely to please turn it down a bit- to which he replied (holding a pit bull in each hand ) why? Where do you live? I explained that I live upstairs from him. To which he replied- hey I pay rent, and I have the right to listen to music, but I'll try to turn it down some man.
I said thank you, and went on my way. He might have turned it down a notch or two. However his favorite song must have came on cause the sound went right back up- possibly LOUDER . And now here I am watching my pictures vibrate on the wall and feeling like putting a burning bag of DOO DOO on his doorstep.
Thanks for reading my ranting and Raving !

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yep, my SO and I had the same problem. We moved out and bought a house. We're too old to have to deal with sharing walls with anyone anymore.

I did have some fun with our old neighbors though before we moved out. I countered their rap music with some John Zorn's "Grand Guignol" at full blast a few times. It's the most obnoxious CD I had at the time.
  • I wish buying a house was that easy- at least for me in sunny California about all I can afford to buy is a house the size of a bathroom :)
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    How awful, can you not complain to his landlord?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Decent 2000 sq ft homes on about 1/2 acre go for 150-200k here...you could always find a job in a cheaper part of the country...
  • Bookbuyer2015
    Bookbuyer2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bad neighbors, especially loud ones, are the worst. You have my deepest sympathy!
  • gin_fb33
    Options
    I'm having the same problems with my upstairs neighbours (minus the dogs). It's a family with a small baby (less than a year old) and they're always playing their music so loud MY downstairs neighbours can hear it! I've complained to my strata countless times but apparently they won't do anything if it's during the day (which is complete BS, they're disturbing my right to a peaceful apartment and losing me countless possible job opportunities because I have to ask the people doing the phone interviews if they can repeat a question several times because I can't hear them. And I'm not about to do a job interview in my hallway.

So I definitely feel your pain OP :(
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing over and over in my apartment building. Something about this place attracts less then desirable types. I guess mine was worse than yours really. Every few days i would have to break up underage parties in the stairway and around the outside of the building in the middle of the night. I know they were underage because i had to smack around some of my friends kids... ok not really but i threatened to lol They didn't last long when they got busted for other things.

Then i had another set of neighbors, too many people in one house, too many noisy kids, too many people coming over to their "recording studio" all hours of the day and night. Eventually i killed them with kindness. I kinda made friends with them. It got a lot better and then they moved away for legal reasons lol

Now i have had it with the new neighbor that has a dog that loves to piss all over the shared stairwell. The odor is now causing my cat to mark her territory. UGH!

I just bought a house and will be moving. Trading one problem for new ones i am sure.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm the assistant property manager for a good sized complex and the amount of noise complaints dwindles after you threaten to call the cops a few times and then actually do it. You need to report them to your landlord, community director, assistant or whatever you call the person who handles the payments of rent. They can make the noise go away. I'm not sure how most complexes in California are ran (My company is based in Cali) but they are responsible for handling noise complaints, even if they have to refer you to call the police on them.

I live in an apartment complex (not the one I work at) and my neighbores enjoy throwing parties at 3am on weekdays, complete with setting up a drum kit in their living room. Complain. I did. I even have cute little notices threatening to call the cops for when people come to me with a complaint!
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Decent 2000 sq ft homes on about 1/2 acre go for 150-200k here...you could always find a job in a cheaper part of the country...

Cheaper part of the country = lower paying jobs

Trust me i am in one of those cheaper places to live. I just bought a house for what some of you make in a week. Hell, what i make in a month is probably what some of you make in a few days.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just had to send another complaint about my neighbors for the same reason... I don't care if it's the middle of the day, if I can hear your music/tv/anything.. it's too loud and needs to be turned down or off.. Totally report that !
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Kill two birds with one stone... Take up early-morning tap dancing. It's great cardio.
  • M_J992
    M_J992 Posts: 76
    Options
    Get a bigger husband
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Kill two birds with one stone... Take up early-morning tap dancing. It's great cardio.

Baahaa love that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I used to have a noisy neighbor back in the day. Then I started to drop some food (lumpia) over every once in awhile. Surprisingly the noise level went down. Doesn't always work, but sometimes killing people with kindness gets them to be kinder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CarrieCans
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I used to have a noisy neighbor back in the day. Then I started to drop some food (lumpia) over every once in awhile. Surprisingly the noise level went down. Doesn't always work, but sometimes killing people with kindness gets them to be kinder.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Ummm i want you as a neighbor !!!
  • How awful, can you not complain to his landlord?
    The land lord says call the cops, the cops don't really care till after 10pm
  • Kill two birds with one stone... Take up early-morning tap dancing. It's great cardio.

Haaaaaa! Love it, I get up for work at 2:30 am, perhaps tomorrow morning I'll start to stomp tap around the house :)
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I had neighbours like that. They would often have parties with loud music till early morning.

The worse time was when they got home at 2 am on a Tuesday morning and then started with the loud music and that continued till like 7 am.

Glad he moved away.
  • I just had to send another complaint about my neighbors for the same reason... I don't care if it's the middle of the day, if I can hear your music/tv/anything.. it's too loud and needs to be turned down or off.. Totally report that !

That's how I feel! I shouldn't have to listen to their music. Nor should I have to dodge giant piles of dog diarrhea ! What the heck happened to common courtesy? Common decency?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    single pane windows? yikes.