Best padding for hands for lifting and machines?

Options
I have suddenly got a ganglion cyst on the palm of my right hand, at the pad where the middle finger joins the palm. When I use machines, lift, anything, this cyst presses painfully into whatever item I'm holding. The doctor just says "well pad your hands and take ibuprofen." OK. I have tried wrapping my hands in Ace bandages, but that's kind of awkward and it likes to slip. Does anyone have a good solution for keeping the palms of the hands padded for lifting etc?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Sponges. Like the big ones you use to wash a car. Hold them in your hands and then just grip around the bar. Also helps with sweat and they are obviously washable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Okay, thank you! That sounds like a good solution.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    for pull exercises, you could strap on some deadlifting hooks.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Still got the ganglion? If so, smack it hard with a heavy book or object. Google Bible bump for more info. :open_mouth:
  • gothchiq
    Options
    lol yes I still have it. I'm afraid to do this because I'm arthritic and I could make a terrible mess of things. The last time one of these popped up randomly, it disappeared just as randomly a year later. I'm going to try to be patient.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    DPernet wrote: »
    Still got the ganglion? If so, smack it hard with a heavy book or object. Google Bible bump for more info. :open_mouth:

I agree. Was plagued with a cyst that kept getting bigger and more painful. Whacked it with my heaviest textbook. Hasn't been back in 6 years
  • gothchiq
    Options
    If it keeps growing I will become super ticked off and bash it with something.
  • jguidroz
    jguidroz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get your doctor to drain it. I have had several on my wrist and never had any problems getting them drain by a Dr. Hurts to get done but by the next day it's perfect.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    She seems afraid to do this.... she would send me to a hand surgeon. dude.... I'm gonna give it some time because it's small. Doctors are so weird I swear. What one will do no sweat another won't touch.
  • dbmata
    Options
    how hard would it be to self drain? It's easy to get sterile items...
  • jguidroz
    Options
    I would not do it myself. The Dr numbs the area and injects a steroid to help prevent it from coming back. I am also to chicken to do it myself :-)
  • dbmata
    Options
    oh, yeah, if there is an injection of any sort, it would be close to impossible to do at home.
  • jguidroz
    Options
    Yeah. Good luck. It really does pay to get it fixed the pain just goes away so fast.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    DPernet wrote: »
    Wow. This one is new to me!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Use a bunion pad or stack a couple of them over the cyst, then use boxing wraps or a glove over the top.