getting sick of the obsession...

Options
Okay. So I'm not in a total "i quit" mode or anything like that at all because, after all, this is working for me no matter how slowly. I'm not even frustrated at all, but where I stand right now, today and probably yesterday, is that I am feeling slackish - meaning I am so wicked sick of obsessing about every GD thing I put in my mouth. I'm so wicked sick of logging every single thing I eat. I'm so wicked sick and tired of thinking about food. THAT IS ALL I DO...and I'm not saying it in a way of "OHMYGOD I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT" kind of way. I'm saying it in a I am so sick and tired of weighing and logging and counting my water BUT since I am totally obsessed with my friends here and my GD ticker I won't even skip a day. Instead, what I'm doing is not being very strict and that ultimately is going to super slow my weight loss down and even make the scale go up. I dont want that at all. I KNOW that I just have to pull my big girl panties up and forge ahead, and I indeed will do that. I'm just hoping that by saying it out loud and/or finding people to tell me that they've felt or do feel the same way it'll help me pull my head out of my *kitten*.

I dont know. I feel like I'm just babbling now and I know I hate reading wicked super extra long posts so I'm going to end this now by saying yeah, I'm going to Olive Garden for a Mother's Day lunch, and yeah, last night I looked up the nutritional guide and yeah, I figured out what I'm going to eat and I like what I'm going to eat and whatnot but I'm exhausted thinking about it. I just want to GO and enjoy without obsessing.

*exhale* there...so now let's see if I feel better after I hit send...:yawn:

Replies

• jenhasit
    jenhasit Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I definitely hear you!! :) You are NOT alone.

My life involves being able to eat out, fast food, and the like. But I'm trying to make smarter choices. I don't WANT to look at menus before I go places, but I do... Not obsessing helped me to pack on pounds, so I figure I owe it to me to spend some time being observant so I can get them off.

That said, I also believe that depriving oneself is worse in the long run. Try your hardest, and it will all work out.

We're all on this journey together - good luck.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It does get very old logging everything,or god forbid going to a restraunt that you can not look up the calorie info for.I wish I could tell you a way to make the feeling go away,but I dont know one it just seems to come and go for me.:flowerforyou:
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Go and enjoy yourself! My daughter took me out for Thai food and I just enjoyed it and her company and to my surprise it didn't blow apart my daily allowances. Besides, if I go over my calories a little now and then, I just adjust during the week.
    You have a terrific Mother's Day!!
  • alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. A very supportive MFP has just quit because he felt it was taking over his life; he was neglecting his work and his family and I can totally see how that happens. I don't log support to MFP pals as much as I should - probably because I've got too many virtual friends, but I am trying to concentrate on logging food and exercise and not worry TOO much about responding. Sounds mean but it can take over you life.

Not sure if that was what you meant but hope it helps.

I am sure you are just having a bad few days and you will get back into it soon. You are doing so well.

Best of luck.

Alison
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I hear you on this one. So very tiring thinking about it all the time, makes your brain physically tired. I took a weeks break from MFP, not because I didn't like it, or because it wasn't working but I just needed a break. Best thing I could ever have done. Have come back more motivated than ever and the annoyance of logging everything has passed too. (also, I was able to maintain in that time which was a huge success for me)

I say all that to say this - 'how you're feeling WILL pass' :flowerforyou: :wink: :smile:
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    We all feel that way at some time or another. It's become a part of my life just like brushing my teeth or taking a shower. You are allowed to have a cheat day, or a cheat meal. Still log it in so that you can keep track. Just know that you may weigh in a little heavier for a few days. Make sure you drink lots of water, restaurant food has lot of sodium. You may also want to workout a little extra that day, or even the day after. It's okay to have fun. You can ask the waitress to box half of the meal so you aren't tempted to eat the whole plate. Restaurants always serve you too much food. Just enjoy spending time with your families and have a wonderful and blessed Mother's Day!
  • CMillikan08
    CMillikan08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel Have a good mothers day and just enjoy yourself. Remember you are on this journey to better yourself. This website is a tool to do so. It not just about the tracking and logging everything, its about forming healthier habits. Tracking and logging what you eat and when you excercise will help retrain your mind and your body to make those healthier decisions automatically over time. I feel like this website is not just about all of us who want to lose weight, its a tool to help us form healthier lifestyles overall and break those bad eating habits. I hope this helps you think about all the tracking in a better light. GOOD LUCK TO YOU and i hope u have a WONDERFUL MOTHERS DAY!!!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Totally feel you girl.

I've been counting calories for 10-f*cking months. It's mind numbingly obvious that if I don't obsess over every morsel of food that enters my mouth that I will continue to be HUGE. Its down right exhausting to be perfectly honest.

Being skinny is a full time job for me. It's so hard to resist the constant lure of gluttony.

You are not alone...
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Obsessing about it is the worst way to go about it. That's like putting a cheesecake on the table and staring at it every minute and just forcing yourself not to eat it. Eventually you'll crack... we're only human, after all.

You need to come up with a plan that can fit with your lifestyle and your goals. Be honest with yourself about what you want to achieve for LIFE and what you're willing to sacrifice to get it. If that means it'll take you longer to lose fat than you'd like, so be it.

That's better than "forcing" yourself to stick to an unnatural and impossible plan to lose weight, only to quit and rebound a few weeks down the road. Any other way is going to result in a 24-hour battle against what you want every day and, let's be honest, no one can do that for a lifetime.

My two cents.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm getting a little sick of just thinking so. damn. hard. about every. single. bite. I put in my mouth. It drives me crazy to be looking up nutritional info. all the time, making trade-offs, reading all the labels in the grocery store, blah blah blah. It takes a LOT of time.

But, I know it's worth it. I've lost over 20 pounds, and this is the first time I've felt great about my body in YEARS. I feel great.

So if it means I have to obsess, and pull out my phone every time I eat, well, then... I guess I've got to do it!

I will say that, once I get down to my goal range, I am going to stop logging on weekends... and just try to maintain. If I'm successful doing that for a couple months, then I'm going to stop logging all together, and just use the tools to make choices if I'm unsure in a certain situation (new restaurant, whatever).

By this point, I know most of the calorie contents of my regular foods by heart, and don't have much trouble sticking to my goal calories. So I figure logging is helping me learn how to eat, and I already think I've learned A LOT from doing so. I know there are people who will need to log forever... I'm just hoping I'm not one of those folks!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether to cry now. Being as diet change needs to be a lifelong thing in order to keep the weight off I was hoping that after a while (I'm not talking weeks here, I know it'll take longer) that I would lose the obsession and develop and more ingrained awareness of what I was eating, portion sizes, cheats etc and that it would become a way of life without the effort required now. Tell me this isn't just a fantasy notion, please! :S
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    okay guys. you all are awesome and THANK YOU for taking the time to write to little me. that means the world to me. like i said im not in a total i quit mode at all because seriously, without MFP id be 10 times heavier than i am...16 lbs lost is nothing to sneeze at. i also never put mini goals in my mind like a lot of people do cause that will ultimately cause me to fail. i dont usually prelog cause that too makes me fail. i DO love that i am a regular at the gym. ive never ever been able to say that. im not even in a gym rut per se cause i love my classes. i do know my calorie counts by heart just like not-bob said he does too. i dont mind looking up the guides like i did last night. i think my MAIN problem is im too hard on myself...just have the mother effin beer girl, seriously, WITHOUT saying oh crap another 96 calories...it NEVER stops me from having another one LOL and honestly ive only been here three months...i figure another three months it'll be just like brushing my teeth :)

i dont know. i just know that when i type things out it makes things clearer to me when i put it out there. and i really really really appeciate each one of you that took the time to write. that makes me feel a boatload of goodness inside ... its just another reason to keep coming back - all the awesomeness that oozes from MFP :D *hugs*
  • faerie_dust
    faerie_dust Posts: 25
    Options
    you're just gorgeous!

that's all i have to say. nothing useful but I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

xxxxx
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Anyone that has been doing this for more then a day feels the same way. It does become an obsession. I had a wedding yesterday and posted I was going to eat what ever the hell I wanted. But when I got there I was like oh I can't have this and oh I should not have that... And then it was all I talked about at the table. I think People were affraid to eat their dinner. in front of me. I hate the obsession. Oh and I forgot to get a piece of cake. Could use it today because I drank a little too much. OK maybe a lot too much. But I was only 40 over in my calories and everything else was good. Yea me?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It can get tiring, but you should also be learning some basic patterns that will help you make this a more organic process. You shouldnt have to look up calories and nutritional info every single time you think about eating. Maybe instead, you should just set some general guidelines (lots of veggies, low carbs, whole grains only, etc) and stick with those. Then log at the end of the day (if you can remember).

I think holding yourself to a few simple rules is a lot healthier anyway. I've read some research that says obsessing about food actually makes you GAIN weight. Something to think about...

Here are my "rules"
    1. have at least 1 meat free meal every day and 2-3 meat free days each week
    2. drink only 1-2 cups of coffee per day, and when possible, have a skim latte instead of something with cream
    3. have at least 2 healthy snacks per day, between meals and especially after workouts
    4. lots of veggies!
    5. NO soda or juice

I also have an idea of what I consider "moderation." Moderation for me means 1-2 times in a MONTH. Things I do in moderation 1) restaurant style desserts 2) fried food 3) ice cream 4) big dinners out 5) drinks with friends
  • t1981
    t1981 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    when I start feelinng that way I take a day off from logging my calories. I stilll make smart choices, but don't obsess about every single bite. Some people may not be able to do that, but it seems to work for me. I did that yesterday, and no harm done :)
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a serious recommendation for you to help you stay motivated, and be able to enjoy the "Olive Garden" or what ever dining facility you want;

EAT BEFORE YOU EAT... what I mean by this is before you leave to go to the "Olive Garden" chow down on a can of tuna, 10 egg whites, or a chicken breast..... that way when you get to the resturaunt you are not STARVING, and you will take most of your meal home or order less or even better... just eat the bottomless salad and breadsticks! LOL

Happy Mothers Day and good luck!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    You are not alone...but just remember you are doing great..I had a look at your diary...and the thought that you put into it shows....so fed up you might be, obsessed you may be...but it will get easier. Also remember that you are on quite a low calorie goal so even if you were to go over by 2-300 calories you would still be on a deficit..so you can..AND probably should ease up on yourself occasionally...because thats life...and its for living.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone -- losing weight and getting healthier takes alot of work, and it gets old day after day.

I would take a break for a few days -- I have found that taking a break will bring you back with renewed energy.

And ENJOY the Olive Garden with your family!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    read this post the other day it makes a lot of sense!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/232427-hungry-girl-advice

This is from a Hungry Girl email I just got, some good advice in here:

I was wondering if there are a handful of food-related rules that you live by. If so, what are they? Thanks!

Alexa aWonderin'

Hi Alexa,
    I actually get asked this question a LOT, so I've had plenty of time to think about it and narrow down my list to FIVE important rules. Here they are...
    1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
    2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
    3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
    4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
    5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses. Click here for some of my favorite emergency snacks.