Do you have a weightloss buddy?

Options
Aside from people on this site, do you have a friend in your area that you are dieting and working out with?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No. It's distracting unless my friend were to keep completely silent the entire time we are working out and used his/her own equipment. I have my own specific routine and switching between each other for e.g. the squat rack would just make the routine more annoying.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Soon2BeMrsSherriff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No I don't. I sort of feel like I am secretive from people in my everyday life. I don't feel comfortable telling people that I see day to day my real weight. I don't tell people my real goals or struggles. I feel more comfortable being anonymous and no one know the real me. That might sound silly or weird, but that is my personal opinion...
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No, i wish :(

Would be nice to go to the gym with somebody.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Dieting with, yes. It's nice to have someone logging lunch with you. I also like to chat about it a lot, and with her it's totally cool because she wants to talk about it too.
  • ana3067
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Dieting with, yes. It's nice to have someone logging lunch with you. I also like to chat about it a lot, and with her it's totally cool because she wants to talk about it too.

I talk about food and macros/cals with one of my friends since he also (I think loosely?) tracks his intake when he cuts (doesnt' track at all when bulking and believes in eating everything in sight and then complained about having to do a 30lb cut! lol). But we definitely aren't logging buddies haha. I wish I had someone to talk to though so I could use them to help me pick between different food options I'm craving lol.
  • arditarose
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I talk about food and macros/cals with one of my friends since he also (I think loosely?) tracks his intake when he cuts (doesnt' track at all when bulking and believes in eating everything in sight and then complained about having to do a 30lb cut! lol). But we definitely aren't logging buddies haha. I wish I had someone to talk to though so I could use them to help me pick between different food options I'm craving lol.

It's nice for sure. She hast lost much. I lost 25 and I think she's lost 5. But I love her dedication and support. I also get really excited when I meet people in the gym who want to talk about it.
  • YukiAsuna
    YukiAsuna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did but not anymore and I have been unsuccessful with trying to motivate her and she's already put back on like 15lbs. She motivated me so much and I'm so sad that I'm failing to do the same for her. :(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have friends on this site and they're awesome!
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No, just my friends here, I think I prefer working out alone
  • arditarose
    Options
    I actually really wish I had a knowledgable workout buddy. Or free trainer/friend. I do everything myself and sometimes I wish I had feed back and could give support as well.
  • ana3067
    Options

It's nice for sure. She hast lost much. I lost 25 and I think she's lost 5. But I love her dedication and support. I also get really excited when I meet people in the gym who want to talk about it.

I don't meet people at the gym period :( But I also work out on campus, most of the people there tend to be uh... very novice. Or they are people who don't track their workouts (logging) so they probably don't track their intake either. I need to make friends with IRL MFP-type people!
  • arditarose
    Options

I don't meet people at the gym period :( But I also work out on campus, most of the people there tend to be uh... very novice. Or they are people who don't track their workouts (logging) so they probably don't track their intake either. I need to make friends with IRL MFP-type people!

Ya. There are quite a few lifters at my gym. Some are in there every day but won't log, some really know what they're doing. Some I can tell compete. I'm slowly making some gym acquaintances. Have you met any MFP people who live near year you?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

K, but I want chocolate when you get here!
  • ana3067
    Options

Ya. There are quite a few lifters at my gym. Some are in there every day but won't log, some really know what they're doing. Some I can tell compete. I'm slowly making some gym acquaintances. Have you met any MFP people who live near year you?

I would love to make some friends, but I have RBF at the gym LOL. I've seen one woman with seriously large (although not dense like I want for myself!) quads and I'm like DAMN GURL. I do know a pair of twins who use MFP but we are just acquaintances - used to work with one of them in HS. Otherwise I haven't met anyone in my area :/
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

K, but I want chocolate when you get here!

I come prepared
    michelle-heaton-faith_1.jpeg
  • NTLaffen
    Options
    I have no workout buddies and am hoping to make MFP buddies!
  • anneuhbanana
    anneuhbanana Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky to have 2 friends from work that I finally motivated to start working out...they help keep me accountable and we push each other when we're at the gym so it works. We don't do what I see so many people doing, standing around chit chatting holding up machines :/
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a couple of friends who are on here, but I know them in real life. I go to the gym and classes a lot with one of them, and we have a pretty similar outlook regarding eating. We also have the same personal trainer.
    I did a biggest loser competition with the other friend back in Sept.
    We all meet up for coffee every couple of weeks or so :)
  • mitchell_212
    mitchell_212 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have two awesome friends from work and we workout together in the mornings and keep each other accountable during the day :) works really well, the only thing that isn't great is that we are all at different points of our weightloss journey... So we clash a little on some things, but we are all good friends so it doesn't matter.
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Nope! It seems nice in theory but I think it would just get annoying. Most people want to go to a gym, and I'm just not fond of working out in public. It's gross and noisy.

It would be nice to have someone to talk to about food/logging, though. The one person I know doesn't really eat veggies and hardly cooks and so I find I can't really talk about x or y dish with them. Not even gonna start on calories/macros/etc.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not really. This time around I haven't really told anyone I am trying to lose weight except my dh and dd. Dd sometimes exercises with me but mostly I do it alone. I'm fine with that.