Over weight to triathlete

Options
barrski145
barrski145 Posts: 145 Member
Today is my first day on the MFP community site. I'm not normally a very open person and don't share very many personal things; but when I read through some of the inspiring letters left by you it inspired me to do the same so here goes.

I was always a fairly active kid growing up. I played sports like most of the other kids in my neighborhood and never had a major problem with weight. When I was 18 I join the military and proudly served in the Army for four years.

When I got out I started training in martial arts for something to do. I trained for about 10 years and eventually earned black belts in three different systems. Along the way I met the woman who would eventually become my wife and we settled down to start a family.

Around the year 2000 I quit training and focused on work and providing for my family. Over the next 12 years I went from being a lean 215 pound guy to being a fat, 280 pound, doughnut eating cop. I didn't like myself, my job or my future.

Then just after Christmas of 2012 I received a phone call from my older brother. He called to tell me that he was in the hospital and he was going to have a heart cath and a stent put in. My brother was always the healthy one in my family. He exercised, ate right and took care of himself. This was a wake up call for me.

I told my wife that I needed to do something and I needed to start right away. I began researching and found MFP and purchased a quality HRM.

I had fitness equipment in my basement that was mostly used to hang clothes and collect dust lol. I cleaned it off and went to work. Over the next year I lost a little over 60 pounds and was probably in the best shape of my life, with the exception of when I got out of basic training.

In January 2014 I was at an aquatic center where my 9yo daughter was taking swimming lessons. I saw a flyer hanging on the wall that advertised triathlon training. It was for a local "sprint" class triathlon that was taking place that July. When I told my wife that I wanted to do it she looked at me smiled and said okay, because she knows once I get something in my head she can't stop me.

Going into my first day in the class I thought I was in pretty good shape. Then I got in the pool and swam my first length. It was only 25 yards but I thought I was going to die LOL. I kept plugging away and eventually I was able to swim 50 yards without stopping, then 100, then 200 and by the time of the race I was swimming a mile and a half continuous.

I read somewhere that when you enter your first triathlon you shouldn't won't worry about your time just surviving. I quickly understood that when the race began. For the first five minutes of the swim I was kicked, pushed and shoved under the water and felt fear like I never felt before. After regaining my composure and refocusing I completed the swim, went on to do the bike and drug myself through the run. When I crossed the finish line the look on my wife and daughters face filled me with more pride than I could have ever possibly imagined.

Today I'm starting out to prepare for another season of triathlons. I'm planning on doing two this year. The same Sprint class that I did last year and an Olympic class which is twice the distance. And again, when I told my wife she just shook her head and said okay, god I love her.

I hope my story inspires someone to Achieve their goals.

Replies

• mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That is amazing.! Great job ! :) Hard work pays off
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Tri is a LOT of work. I've done half IM distance & it takes guts, determination & iron will so kudos to you sir!
  • fastingfurious35
    fastingfurious35 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    amazing story- amazing wife - amazing person yourself. I'm glad you have shared it.
  • suzychhem
    suzychhem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job! Very inspirational! I am down 50 pounds and starting to sort of train for a half tri... and by that, i mean.. i dont know how to ride a bike. I have swimming and running down but starting on a stationary bike to get used to the feel before investing in a real bike. The first few miles burns my legs so i have a ways to go! Love your story!!!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Great story and achievement - thanks for posting it :)
  • barrski145
    barrski145 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    suzychhem wrote: »
    Great job! Very inspirational! I am down 50 pounds and starting to sort of train for a half tri... and by that, i mean.. i dont know how to ride a bike. I have swimming and running down but starting on a stationary bike to get used to the feel before investing in a real bike. The first few miles burns my legs so i have a ways to go! Love your story!!!

Keep plugging away at it and you'll be fine. The swim is by far the hardest part cuz it's the only part you can't coast or walk through. If you have a grip on that the rest shouldn't be a problem.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your fitness goals!! And that's awesome that you lost 58 lbs along the way!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!