I'm new, and need help.

Options
Hello,

I'm new to MFP and im 143 at 5'6 and 20 yrs. I know I'm in a healthy range for my weight, but I've put on 10 pounds in a month, and I'm worried I'm going to put on more to a point where my weight isn't healthy anymore. That is the reason I signed up.

My problem is, when I start eating, I can't stop. I keep piling more food in my stomach like It's the last time I'll ever eat, even if I'm full! I think my body is failing to recognize when I should stop eating, but I don't know how to do that. It's usually right around supper time that this occurs. Up until then, I follow along with the diet & fitness plan well.

If anyone has any tools or hints of helping me stick to the amount of calories I should be eating, and not over-indulging, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Replies

• arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new to MFP and im 143 at 5'6 and 20 yrs. I know I'm in a healthy range for my weight, but I've put on 10 pounds in a month, and I'm worried I'm going to put on more to a point where my weight isn't healthy anymore. That is the reason I signed up.

My problem is, when I start eating, I can't stop. I keep piling more food in my stomach like It's the last time I'll ever eat, even if I'm full! I think my body is failing to recognize when I should stop eating, but I don't know how to do that. It's usually right around supper time that this occurs. Up until then, I follow along with the diet & fitness plan well.

If anyone has any tools or hints of helping me stick to the amount of calories I should be eating, and not over-indulging, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    i'm totally the same way! which is why i'm pretty much here to maintain... at most lose a few lbs. the best thing i can find to do is to log before. and only eat what you've logged. if you can see it, it will help you recognize when to stop.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Eat slowly, REALLY slowly. It can take up to 20 minutes for your stomach to send the signal to your brain that you're full. By then, you've already overeaten.

Drink water with your meal, take a bite, have a sip etc. You will fill up faster.

Those are just a couple things I try when I notice I'm eating too fast. Enjoy your food! :flowerforyou:
  • mkatzb3
    mkatzb3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello! Im pretty new too and have the exact same problem! I try to eat filling proteins like eggs and lean meats... also make a leafy salad before you chow down on the good stuff!:wink:
    Good Luck!
  • upskari4
    Options
    Try to eat a bigger meal in the morning so that you won't be starving later in the day. Drink a full glass of water 10-15 minutes before you are going to eat. Use a knife to cut your food up and after you take a bite set your fork down as you chew ,same if you are eating something you are holding (ie sandwich, burger) set the item down between bites. Try to enjoy your food. I used to be the same way until I figured out I wasn't eating enough during the day so I would be way starving by the time I got to dinner. Then I would break my diet every time! Good Luck! :happy:
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    hey, i agree with the above, but also, i think a little self talk always helps too. say to yourself 'i am acknowledging that i want that extra food, but i will wait ten minutes and then if i really want it, i can have it'. that way, in ten mins time, you will realize u really are full and that the extra food is useless.
    i also fall off the wagon at supper sometimes - a good way is to eat calorie-free jello or similar after dinner, or have some hot decaf coffee which generally gets rid of cravings. also, try to plan a breakfast that you really enjoy (and is filling) so that at 9pm, you can think 'well i won't eat now b/c i can look forward to breakfast tomorrow'
    might sound corny but these strategies work!
  • arutherf
    arutherf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm definately going to try some of those techniques to see if they will work me. Thanks for all the help and support!! :smile:
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,938 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou: I'm glad you're here!

The others have given you great advice! Mine are water and a good breakfast too.

Kati