I need ideas for exercise.

Options
No matter what I do I either get bored or I'm just not motivated to do anything. Any ideas? Because I need help.. :\

Replies

• mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk with a friend, hike, ride a bike, skate, garden, ski...do a variety of fun activities instead of thinking of it as exercise, think of it as fun time.
  • Yawnetu
    Yawnetu Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    what exercise have you tried that eithr you like or didn't like? Give us something to go on.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    what exercise have you tried that eithr you like or didn't like? Give us something to go on.

For reals.

Yoga? Weight training? Walking?
  • Mick1127
    Mick1127 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent style exercise bike. It has a display that includes time, speed and calories among other things as well as a tension adjusting knob. I've set the tension to what seems reasonable. I've been working at this for a month as of yesterday. I've been averaging 60 minutes/day on the cycle and burning an average 1,300 calories on it. Yes, it would be really boring except for the fact I have the cycle in a spare bedroom with a small (24") TV to watch. I make sure there are shows on that I want to watch when I'm riding. Sometimes I ride in just one session in the evening and sometimes I ride in 2 shorter sessions with one in either the morning or afternoon. I always ride about 2 hours after my evening meal so whatever I've eaten isn't going to hate me. I'm 69 years old and started at a weight of 216 lbs. In 31 days I've dropped 15 pounds. I'm averaging about 2,000 calories a day in food; so, I'm netting only 700 calories after accounting for my exercise. The goal is the same 170 pounds I weighed the day I got out of Navy boot camp in 1966. The point is, do a type of exercise you can do while enjoying something else you enjoy.
  • xxcoriexx
    Options
    I've tried like walking and going to like a gym but their too expensive and I barely had the courage to go in the first place. I could try skating or something like that.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sometimes... You just gotta do it

There are many free aerobic/cardio/calisthenic workout videos/regimens online. Maybe you can search and see what you like.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    xxcoriexx wrote: »
    I've tried like walking and going to like a gym but their too expensive and I barely had the courage to go in the first place. I could try skating or something like that.

how is walking expensive????????? :huh:
  • xxcoriexx
    Options
    Sometimes... You just gotta do it

There are many free aerobic/cardio/calisthenic workout videos/regimens online. Maybe you can search and see what you like.

Alright thank you c: I'll try that.
    Also walking isn't expensive I was talking about the gym.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into getting some kind of pedometer? Might keep ya motivated!
    There's also fitness dvds you could do in your home, like Leslie Sansone or Jillian Micheals.
  • sweetsorrow18
    sweetsorrow18 Posts: 54 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Do a circuit...there are loads online but you can make your own...for instance

20 jumping jacks
    15 crunches
    10 mountain climbers
    5 pushups

^Do the above as many times as you can in 25 minutes, taking about 1 min break between

Mix it up - the next day

20 jump ropes
    15 burpees
    10 lunges with or without weights
    5 pushups

And continue so forth - you can make 5 circuits for 5 days.

Thumbs up for body weight exercises. You really don't need anything to get moving and active, the above can be done with no equipment, just some space! As for motivation, I hate exercising as much as the next person; but I remind myself, I always have time for 25 minutes; even if its not the hardest workout I've done in the day, it's SOMETHING.
  • christiec2015
    christiec2015 Posts: 85
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I get bored of exercise too, but find listening to music helps, whilst often singing along.
    Make a playlist of upbeat songs that'll get you going whilst running or doing exercises and only stop once the playlist's finished
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do a circuit...there are loads online but you can make your own...for instance

20 jumping jacks
    15 crunches
    10 mountain climbers
    5 pushups

^Do the above as many times as you can in 25 minutes, taking about 1 min break between

Mix it up - the next day

20 jump ropes
    15 burpees
    10 lunges with or without weights
    5 pushups

And continue so forth - you can make 5 circuits for 5 days.

Thumbs up for body weight exercises. You really don't need anything to get moving and active, the above can be done with no equipment, just some space! As for motivation, I hate exercising as much as the next person; but I remind myself, I always have time for 25 minutes; even if its not the hardest workout I've done in the day, it's SOMETHING.

this ^^^ plus download some music that gets you going and it'll amp up your motivation.
    And don't forget squats!
  • mom2atw
    mom2atw Posts: 15
    Options
    Also - start making exercise worthy changes. Little steps. Don't grab the closest parking space. Makes your mind in the healthy zone.

I am a huge fan of Leslie Sansones walking at home programs.
    When I was walking the rails to trails outside I would remember moves she showed me and added those when no one was around. :-)

I am also a fan of checking things off - so making a chart helps if you are the weight lifting type.

Getting new equipment makes me happy too. If $ is an option - the store Five Below has a nice fitness aisle with little fun things.

I am sure there are a lot of great YouTube videos out there to do online programs. Perhaps grab a kettle ball and start a kettle ball routine.

Our local YMCA has unicycle classes. I bet those would be interesting exercise and not boring.

My mom always tells me that walking with me is so much faster and less boring than alone. If you get bored - grab a friend. Helps pass the time.

Swimming? Not sure where you live but anyone have an indoor pool? Get some laps in. Use all the fun floating things to up your workout.

Nature hike. Get the hills and outdoors going for you.
    Spend two hours out in the snow with a shovel or rolling massive snowballs and you will burn some calories! I had some nice workouts clearing my driveway this week. My scale loved it. Exercise with a point! Just be sure to keep the chest warm and blood flowing. Restricted blood vessels and straining is where people even healthy people can have heart attacks shoveling snow.

Have you ever tried kayaking?! Our local state park rents them by hour and it is awesome!!!!! They are cheap to own if you have a way to cart em around. $200 and you have years of exercise fun possibilities. That is defiantly a fun day if you have the $ to splurge ($10 an hour)
    Get some friends and laugh your butts off at each other as you enjoy the lake!

Hope something helps.
  • mom2atw
    mom2atw Posts: 15
    Options
    Thought of another free fun one - another of my local state parks/educational places has free snowshoeing. I bet a walk with those would be a fun different work out for sure!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Many people hear the word "exercise" and they immediately think of going to a gym to do cardio or lift weights. The world is full of exercises that have nothing to do with going to a gym. Take a bike ride, hike along a trail, work in the garden, play basketball, go for a swim, climb trees, dance, jump rope...all exercises and just the tip of the iceberg. Finding something you enjoy doing while also gaining better fitness is a double win.
  • xxcoriexx
    Options
    Thanks guys, I went skating and I found that really fun. I'll look into those fitness dvds too! :)