Failed diets and medical issues!!

Options
Hello .... I have been struggling with weight issues forever and now I must change my eating habits due to medical issues. Looking to share ideas for meals, support and accountability!

Replies

• NurseSassy76
    NurseSassy76 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that! Are your issues one that dictate a certain type of diet?
  • bbfly081370
    bbfly081370 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe??? My doctor want me to follow a "heart smart" diet....high protin, lite salt, no caffeine, low fat and carbs. I'm not quite sure where to start.
  • NurseSassy76
    Options
    Ah...low carb does not have to mean Atkins. Diabetic diets follow low carb...keeping your carbs anywhere from 30-50grams per meal. You are looking for lean meats, avoiding processed foods, anything from a box or can as those have tremendous amount of salt. Lots of veggies!
  • NurseSassy76
    Options
    Your carbs should be quality since you aren't eating massive amounts
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    bbfly it is medically hard to do both low fat and low carb at the same time I would think?
  • gmax69
    gmax69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry's are my go to recipe. I use brown rice and keep it to what fits within your diet parameters and as a protein I use chicken/turkey breast, pork tenderloin or shrimp (might be high in sodium for you) and as many veggies as you can put in the pan. I find it filling and decently low in calories and low sodium if you find a sauce you like but just stay away from soy.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe??? My doctor want me to follow a "heart smart" diet....high protin, lite salt, no caffeine, low fat and carbs. I'm not quite sure where to start.

The doctor does not make sense. It cannot be Low Fat and Low Carbs. What does he want, only protein?
    Some people here do well with high protein, medium fat, and low-ish carbs.
    Reduce pasta, bread, rice, pizza, popcorn.
    Eat this: :)
    ~meat, dairy, eggs, seafood, beans and lentils, and nuts,
    ~a little fruit each day
    ~low carb veggies like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, asparagus, bell pepper, yellow squash, show peas, egg plant, winter squash, carrots, onions, romaine, swiss chard, cabbage, spinach.
    ~oils like butter, olive oil, other cooking oil.

There is a recipe forum here. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/recipes
    Also check out Pinterest.com for food recipes and great pictures trying various search terms.
    Also, google "Skinny Taste" for some recipes.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Some people here do well with high protein, medium fat, and low-ish carbs.
    Reduce pasta, bread, rice, pizza, popcorn.
    Eat this: :)
    ~meat, dairy, eggs, seafood, beans and lentils, and nuts,
    ~a little fruit each day
    ~low carb veggies like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, asparagus, bell pepper, yellow squash, show peas, egg plant, winter squash, carrots, onions, romaine, swiss chard, cabbage, spinach.
    ~oils like butter, olive oil, other cooking oil.

This is what I do, also for medical reasons. Feel free to add me/nose around my diary.
  • bbfly081370
    bbfly081370 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for the support and advice. Officially day three and trying to get the hang of this! I will defently check out the sites suggested. Cleaned out all the boxed food and other items I should not have.