232lbs to get off

Options
Getting to my optimal weight feels like standing on the Empire State building and being asked to climb down. It's a little overwhelming thinking about it. But I'm starting by taking the first step which is to watch my calories using this app. Currently, I'm working on eating healthier types of food as well. My next step is to make a routine of exercising regularly starting slowly and working my way up. I'm always open to suggestions and appreciate the help. Much love to my fellow calorie counters!

Replies

• ejdp254
    ejdp254 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Well done formaking a goid plan and moving in a goid direction , best of luck to you !
  • goodjoshboy
    goodjoshboy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ejdp254 wrote: »
    Well done formaking a goid plan and moving in a goid direction , best of luck to you !
    Thank you so much for the encouragement!

• pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is not try anything drastic, like cutting your calories down to a bare minimum. Someone your size could easily eat 2,500 calories a day and still lose weight (you should calculate your tdee by the way, so you know what your estimated daily burn is). So make sure you aren't making yourself miserable by eating too little.

This app is designed to work your exercise calories into how much you can eat every day, but it's widely agreed that MFP overestimates calorie burns quite generously, so the rule of thumb is usually to only eat back half of your exercise calories.

Also, a very important tip is to buy a digital food scale (it's very important that it weighs in grams) and start weighing everything you eat. Pay attention to serving sizes on food (ignore when it says "x amount of chips equals y amount of calories", always look for its weight in grams and always weigh it in its packaged/raw state unless it says otherwise on the product itself). This is the most accurate way to calculate your calorie consumption; otherwise, it's very easy to accidentally eat more than you think you are. If the food doesn't have nutrition information on it, you can always look it up online.

As for exercise, right now any kind of movement will help you. Just a walk a day will do wonders for your progress. You don't have to worry about the hardcore stuff until later down the road. Don't burn yourself out too soon!

Basically, losing weight doesn't have to be a huge, boring, dreaded chore. You're making steps in the right direction and that's awesome. And while it's great you want to eat healthy, remember it's okay to eat that piece of cake or that slice of pizza; as long as you're practicing self control and moderation, it can't hurt your progress.

Best of luck to you! This process can be a pain in the butt, but it's worth it to see it through.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is lose 1lb, but do it 200 times. :smile:
    You can totally do it, just don't quit - even when you have tough days or weeks. Keep going and it will pay off.
  • roady29
    roady29 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good Luck, I agree with Ewhip17, 1lb at a time isn't so daunting, baby steps.
    Feel free to add me, friends are always needed on these journey's!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Kudos to you for having the courage to make this decision for your family and more importantly for yourself.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I chose to break it up into smaller goals. Starting out I had over 170lbs to lose.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I've posted this article a couple of times this week, but your post made me think of it so I'm sharing it again. Read #2 in particular: Focus on the next step, not on the whole.
    You go to the doctor and he tells you that you have a bacterial infection that will never, ever go away. It will literally eat away a crucial part of your digestive system unless you do a chemical treatment twice a day, every day, and do painful semiannual follow-up treatments with your doctor ... for the rest of your *kitten* life. Sure, it's not a death sentence, but the sheer weight of it kind of makes you want to give up -- you can just see this burden stretching out in front of you, forever.

But, of course, I've just described brushing your teeth.

You don't regard dental care as a crushing burden, because you don't sit around every day contemplating the unfathomable mountain of teeth-brushing you must scale before you die. You only think of it as that thing you do in the morning because you have to, because you don't want your teeth to fall out. You manage the long-term goal (having teeth) by thinking only of the very manageable daily goal.

Well, guess what: If you can apply that technique to other things, you can conquer the *kitten* world.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-youre-sabotaging-your-own-life-without-knowing-it_p2/#ixzz3QKHA691W

• AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    make sure to eat clean whole foods, and no junk food and make sure to dead lift in the squat rack
  • florence265
    Options
    ewhip17 wrote: »
    All you have to do is lose 1lb, but do it 200 times. :smile:
    You can totally do it, just don't quit - even when you have tough days or weeks. Keep going and it will pay off.

• florence265
    Options
    Liking the simplicity and easy digestibility of this quote!!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    make sure to eat clean whole foods, and no junk food and make sure to dead lift in the squat rack

^This isn't necessary. You can eat whatever you like in smaller quantities, and as long as you get adequate nutrition and a reasonable balance of foods, there's nothing wrong with treating yourself to the occasional "junk" food if it fits into your calories. And lifting weights is helpful to preserve lean body mass and get toned, but is by no means required.

Losing weight is about eating fewer calories than you burn on a daily basis. The rest is optional and really depends on your goals.
  • Julesbriff
    Julesbriff Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on your journey!! You have made your first big step by making the decision to make a lifestyle change. It helps me when I log my food at the beginning of the day before I eat anything to make sure all my food keeps me within my allowance - then any adjustments can be made before I eat anything. Also I have set myself up small monthly achievable goals - usually about 5- 6 pounds to loose per month - seems less daunting than looking at the whole picture at once.
  • goodjoshboy
    goodjoshboy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice and support! I appreciate everyone taking the time to write. I'm getting tremendous support and I'm so grateful.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, don't ever walk to the edge of the building and look down- it's way too overwhelming. Just turn around, start climbing down, and don't pay attention to how far you have to go. Just keep looking at how far you've come and know that you'll eventually get to the bottom!