Is it okay for me to start running?

Options
After years of no training at all I, almost three months ago, got the Runkeeper app for my iPhone, and started what has been the biggest (and best) change in my life. I started walking, the first time was about 3 km and really hard on my body and breathing, and now I walk 10 km four times a week and I feel really good. I want to take my training up a notch, and will real soon get a membership at a gym, but I'm also thinking about trying to run some of the 10 km I walk (maybe run 1, walk 1 etc). Only thing I'm worried about is how my body will take it (primary my legs and knees). When I started this adventure I weighted in at 150 kg, and I'm now down to 127 kg. I have no problems with my knees or legs at the moment, and I also treated myself with real good walking/running shoes yesterday (and my feets really thank me for that). So what do you think, is it okay for me to start with some running, or should I wait until I have lost some more weight?

If any of you are runkeeper users and what another friend for your street team pay me a visit and add me here http://runkeeper.com/user/secretkristoffer/profile (or add me here at MFP).

Thanks
/Kristoffer

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Take it slow at first. It's easy to start out too fast and burn out and get discouraged. Look into the Couch to 5K program as a way to gradually ease into running.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Your weight shouldn't stop you, just listen to your body. Start with 1 minute jogs, and just do 5 or 6 or those in half an hour if you can, with the rest walking, then work up from there.

The couch to 5k app is great, but dont think you have to stick to it's 3x a week and then move up a level programme, take it at your pace.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Anyone can run! Just dont take it too fast! Start with intervals. Do a 1min run than 1min walk. Than after that becomes comfortable up it to a 1:30 to 1 and just keep upping it as it gets easier. Thats what i did and it made it so much easier! Plus when you do intervals it is better for your joints!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper for tracking my daily walks, love that app! As for running - at my previous weight of 444 I could barely walk, never mind run. So that has been one of my goals. I'm sure there are a lot of dedicated runners who can give you specific advice but what I did was start running on the treadmill. All I could do to start was 1 minute intervals with my fastest speed being 3.7 miles per hour. I have slowly been building from there - started running 2 minute intervals, then three. I also slowly increased the speed. I never increase the speed and length of time together, increase the speed for a couple weeks, then increase the length of time for a couple weeks. Now I'm up to a 15 minute run at 4.5 with a 1% incline. No one is going to call me speedy but I'm running and I love it!
  • lolabugs
    lolabugs Posts: 141
    Options
    I would definitely agree to start off slow. I actually just started the 2nd week of the Couch to 5K program and it's wonderful. It pushes me hard enough to where I feel like I'm accomplishing something, but not to the point that I'm uncomfortable and want to quit. I've never been a runner (I've always said that I won't run unless I'm being chased) but I'm finding that I really enjoy it. Just be aware of how your knees and ankles feel while you're running. Don't push yourself too hard if you're feeling any pain. Injuries in those areas take a very long time to heal and sometimes they never quite heal properly. Good luck!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Your weight shouldn't stop you, just listen to your body. Start with 1 minute jogs, and just do 5 or 6 or those in half an hour if you can, with the rest walking, then work up from there.

The couch to 5k app is great, but dont think you have to stick to it's 3x a week and then move up a level programme, take it at your pace.

I agree completely with this... do some 1 minute intervals and see how it goes. C25k is great and you do that at your own pace. You can do each week over two weeks if you like. Do what your body is comfortable with :wink:
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    After years of no training at all I, almost three months ago, got the Runkeeper app for my iPhone, and started what has been the biggest (and best) change in my life. I started walking, the first time was about 3 km and really hard on my body and breathing, and now I walk 10 km four times a week and I feel really good. I want to take my training up a notch, and will real soon get a membership at a gym, but I'm also thinking about trying to run some of the 10 km I walk (maybe run 1, walk 1 etc). Only thing I'm worried about is how my body will take it (primary my legs and knees). When I started this adventure I weighted in at 150 kg, and I'm now down to 127 kg. I have no problems with my knees or legs at the moment, and I also treated myself with real good walking/running shoes yesterday (and my feets really thank me for that). So what do you think, is it okay for me to start with some running, or should I wait until I have lost some more weight?

If any of you are runkeeper users and what another friend for your street team pay me a visit and add me here http://runkeeper.com/user/secretkristoffer/profile (or add me here at MFP).

Thanks
    /Kristoffer

I suggest talking to your doctor about running at that weight. The pressure/stress that running places on the Feet and joints is TREMENDOUS! I ran Cross Country as a College Athlete and at My age now I have developed arthritis from all the running, and I was not overweight then. When I picked up some weight I thought I would start back running just a bit, I asked My doctor and he recommended against it. I am sooo glad he did, I could have destroyed my feet as I got older. Walking or "fast" walking is the BEST cardio exercise out there. I wish I had been advised about running when I was younger...but runners seem to be so in Love with it, EVEN though it is one of the Most Debilitating sports/exercises out here. The "runners high" is real, but runners, especially as they age are Always in pain (but many won't stop.) I wish you all the best.
  • kristofferbas
    kristofferbas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have been thinking a lot about this, and I have decided to wait just a bit more (maybe when I'm down to 110-115 kg) to try running. I'm worried that my knees and feet won't like it just yet. The walks I do is quite fast, and it feels like I get really good exercise from them, but to take the exercise up a notch I decided to go swimming yesterday and really enjoyed it, so that is something I will def do every week. I'll also go try out a gym today, and I'm hoping I'll like that too :)

Thanks
    /k