thoughts on "cheat" meals?

Options
So, my trainer is a big proponent of cheat meals once a week-- she says it is important psychologically as well as physically.

But my holistic nutritionist says it defeats the purpose -- if you are trying to get off sugar (which I am), then you detox for a week and the cheat sets off cravings.

I crave sweets all the time, so ... your thoughts/experiences?

Replies

• Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I think its ok to cheat once un a while. Its ok as long as you don't do it alot.
  • pinkvintagelove
    pinkvintagelove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am an avid sweets eater as well. But I am trying really hard to not eat them, as their unhealthy and unwanted calories. I feel your pain completely. I would be at work, and fantasize about going home and eating some kind of cupcake, cookie, or even about getting myself a piece of cake at Raley's if I had had a particularly stressful day! But diabetes runs in my family..and at 23 when my doctor told me I am pre-diabetic, I knew I had to make changes. For the first week or two, I was cranky, I cried more easily, etc when not getting my sugar fix. It's like I was addicted. But then I got used to it, my body stopped craving it. You can still eat natural sugars, such as bananas, apples, etc..and it still takes off the edge. But I understand how hard it is, nothing tastes as good to me still as those sugared junk foods!! :)
  • CMoney412
    CMoney412 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tell me the truth -- did your body really stop craving it? because I will suffer through if I believe there is some freedom down the line -- diabetes is in my family, too! and alcoholism, which is a sugar-based addiction as well. what did you do to not give in???
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I feel silly what what are 'cheat meals' ?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont cheat that will bring on a level of guilt when your scale and goals arent exactly what you wanted...I think its best to just incorporate what you want into your lifestyle ..if you "really" want to detox from something then why "cheat' ..just dont detox from it and save yourself the guilt and just have it in moderation...My question to you would be are you trying to minimize your sugar intake or totally eliminate it? Detox may be wrong choice of word for you
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My husband and I allow ourselves one cheat meal a week, but it has to be a portion size...we don't go all out and eat as much as we want. We still portion control the cheat meal so it is still not too bad, but something we have been craving. It works well for us.
  • runningrooster
    runningrooster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I crave something sweet. I eat one piece of chocolate such as a hershey kiss or ghiradelli square. I let it melt in my mouth slowly. This way my taste buds are happy. They in turn tell my brain and I am over it. Another thing I eat sometime is some pieces of dry cereal such as cookie crisp. The sweetened cereal takes my mind off it too.... Good Luck, your doing great....
  • pinkvintagelove
    pinkvintagelove Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My body stopped craving it, my mind still has not. I will still catch myself fantasizing. If I have a bad day, or just get really sad and angry I automatically want to jump into my little debbie cookie box. But I try really, really, hard not to. It is like a battle with yourself, and I sometimes win, I sometimes don't. I try my best every day, and that's the best we all can do. If I slip up, I'm not happy, but I tell myself tomorrow will be better. And for me, the only way I don't crave sweets and sugar is if I'm happy or distracted. So If I want to eat that kind of stuff, I really stop and think of if I'm sad, upset, bored or just hungry. If I'm hungry, I'll eat something healthy. If I'm feeling an emotion, I call a friend, write in a journal, ANYTHING to keep me distracted.
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Some would say that if you have a sugar addiction, having a cheat meal is like telling a recovering alcoholic that it is okay every now and then to go on a bender.

There is a woman named Kathleen DesMaisons who has done a lot of research on sugar and it's addictive properties in certain people. Changed my life. Her website is www.radiantrecovery.com. It is the real deal, not a fad, based on research and is a kind, understanding approach.

Jill

PS. Also, for me the concept of a "cheat meal" reinforces the all or nothing mentality, not the moderation that people without food issues seem to have effortlessly.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    My two cents, for what it's worth.

So many times in my life, I've started an exercise program only to be thrown off by one or two cheat meals that get me back on the path of eating badly. It seems like if I can rationalize that one of something is ok, then it's a natural extension that one more of that thing is ok. So when I started this time, I knew I couldn't cheat at all. I went for two, possibly three months without ever cheating at all. Now, I'm confident that i can eat a bad meal, and then get right back on the horse the next day- so occasionally (probably once every two weeks, not once a week) - if I'm out with friends, special occasion, what have you, I'll eat more than I should, or things that are off limits.

So here is the moral of the story to me - food was an addiction. I had to stay in control of it for long enough that cheating would be the exception, not the norm. I don't know if you work the same way I do, everyone is different, but if you feel like you're going to get back on sugar if you eat a little bit of it, then dont!! Wait to have those cheat snacks until you're absolutely confident you can go right back to not eating sugar for the next few weeks. You've got to know yourself, and trust yourself, and know what works for you.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Some would say that if you have a sugar addiction, having a cheat meal is like telling a recovering alcoholic that it is okay every now and then to go on a bender.

PS. Also, for me the concept of a "cheat meal" reinforces the all or nothing mentality, not the moderation that people without food issues seem to have effortlessly.

This makes a lot of sense. I used to have what I actually called a "free day" - same thing as cheat. Every Friday I woul eat a healthy breakfast, have a good workout, then not worry about what I was eating or counting calories the rest of the day. But my ultimate goal is truly to live a healthy lifestyle, not just diet and I think by allowing a "cheat or free" day - its not in line with that kind of thinking. Cheating or being free implies I have something to escape from, that I have to escape healthy eating. That gives me a reason to cheat.

So I've decide that I'm going to maintain my healthy eating habits at all times except when there is truly a special occassion. For example, this weekend my sister came in from out of town and we did a lot of touristy things in NYC. I didn't worry about what I was eating then - but that special occassion is now over so its time to get back to eating normal.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    I recommend the book "The End of Overeating" by Dr. David Kessler to anyone who's interested in learning about why we crave sugar, fat, and salt the way that we do. A lot of comments there remind me of interviews he did with people in the book. Basically, he boils it down to us being so conditioned to crave hyper-palatable foods that we're often given to fantasies about them because it triggers a strong emotional response and/or reflex. My personal approach is to incorporate the higher calorie/sugar/fat/salt throughout the week in smaller doses. It's not always easy, but it works better for me than to have one big heavy meal like that where I feel sluggish and gross afterwards.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't crave sweets but I crave grease. I love a burger and fries. In the 6 weeks since I started I have had a burger and fries 3x, but I kept it within my calories for the day. A couple times I only ate half the burger at once for instance. I loved last week. New burger place opens up so I have to try it. I get a 1/3lb cheeseburger and fries. Ate it all but planned it into my calories for the day. I weighed myself the morning before and the morning after because I wanted to see what would happen. I lost 1/2 lb!!

I think it is good to have a "cheat" meal but keep it within your overall plan for the day. I'm happy to know I can have my favorite meal from time to time, keep it within my goal for the day and still lose.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have a "treat" day/meal every week. I think they are fantastic and beneficial. In your situation
    with trying to cut out sugar you can still have a cheat night just make sure you dont eat foods that
    could trigger your cravings. Treat yourself to a special savory dish or something.