Pre diabetic help low carb

Options
Hi so I am a little over weight obviously I need to lose some that will help however I don't want to do extreme low carb but I do want to cut back. I am 5'4 166 lbs trying to lose 20-30 lbs I just can't so that 20 carbs a day atkins thing I want to do a low calorie reduced carb. I was thinking 1200-1400 calorie and maybe 100 carbs a day is that even going to help me ? I understand low calorie I don't understand lower carb I was prediabetic when I was in the 150s so I wasn't even really overweight please any tips would help and I would appreciate no abuse or rude comments I get it I'm fat but that's not the only reason I am prediabetic lol

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    In Indiana you can see a dietician for diabetes and have it billed under insurance. 100 cards a day is low, if I remember the class correctly. As a fairly active male I am allowed 50 carbs per meal and 10-15 per snack. I believe women were allowed a max of 45 per meal and the 10-12 per snack. I was encouraged to eat a meal, snack, meal, snack, meal and snack.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    Your #s are right on track to what my goals are. I shoot for 80g a day, but will allow myself up to 100 if I put in an hour's worth of cardio. I actually pay more attention to my carbs than I do my calories. You can't keep your carbs under 100 eating junk. I'm down 40 pounds by limiting carbs. You sound like you have the right plan in place. Send me a PM if you have any questions, looking for suggestions, etc. Good luck.
  • ChasesMumma927
    ChasesMumma927 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys !!! It's tough I tired atkins and was having a hard time for me to eat all the nutrition I needed with 20 carbs a day lol def starting to workout doing cardio
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Visit Marks Daily apple...I am down a bunch of weight (nearly 280 at the start, 243 now), just about off my medications of 5 years and have not felt better in a long time. I am NOT offering advice per se...My diary is open...The carb count is low. Info on MDA is free...The key (for me) was adding cardio, reducing carbs and cals to lose at a recommended rate...I don't miss flour or sugar, at all.
  • amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi- I have lost about 45 lbs over the last couple of years and it has made a huge difference in my fbs (fasting blood sugar). Now I average below 100 which is normal. I try to restrict my intake of carbs to 60/day, but I don't freak out if I am a little over. Here is what you need to quit: Anything white (bread, potatos, rice etc). Sugar (no doughnuts, soft drinks, sweets etc) Veggies are great but watch out for some fruit (no juice) (no bananas). Apples, berries are okay. Protein in any form is good. That plus a little exercise will get you on track. Do you test your fbs and get an A1C test? If not, you should. Hope this helps.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    amisbest wrote: »
    Hi- I have lost about 45 lbs over the last couple of years and it has made a huge difference in my fbs (fasting blood sugar). Now I average below 100 which is normal. I try to restrict my intake of carbs to 60/day, but I don't freak out if I am a little over. Here is what you need to quit: Anything white (bread, potatos, rice etc). Sugar (no doughnuts, soft drinks, sweets etc) Veggies are great but watch out for some fruit (no juice) (no bananas). Apples, berries are okay. Protein in any form is good. That plus a little exercise will get you on track. Do you test your fbs and get an A1C test? If not, you should. Hope this helps.

Pretty much this for me as well...(amisbest)

• bm1409
    bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I have been substituting cauliflower for a lot of potato dishes. Not the real thing but close enough for me. Also zoodles (zucchini noodles) works pretty good for pasta dishes (again not as good as pasta, but I like it ). Even my picky husband eats this.
  • ChasesMumma927
    Options
    Thanks !!! Yes I had my A1c test. I go back in a few months to meet with the doctor I really want to show improvement you all gave great advice I am going to look into everything and def ditch trying for 20 carbs a day :-)
  • ChasesMumma927
    Options
    bm1409 wrote: »
    I have been substituting cauliflower for a lot of potato dishes. Not the real thing but close enough for me. Also zoodles (zucchini noodles) works pretty good for pasta dishes (again not as good as pasta, but I like it ). Even my picky husband eats this.

I just looked on Pinterest for cauliflower recipes sounds yummy to me. I saw the zucchini noodles would love to give them a try do you top it just like your pasta dishes ?
  • TheresaKnits
    TheresaKnits Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I second what the others have said. When I'm trying to lose, I eat around 60-75 carbs/day. The "quality" of your diet is almost more important than the calories. I lose weight like crazy on 1300 calories/60 carbs. But will lose very slowly when the carb count goes up. I had been carb binging over the holidays, so I'm doing South Beach for a couple of weeks. It gets me back in cooking mode and I lose that carb craving in the first week or so.

My other tip is that I never eat a healthy recipe designed to look like the real thing (like cauliflower mashed potatoes). Find recipes that make those healthy ingredients shine. You'll be developing good habits and enjoy your food much more.

Don't beat yourself up over your weight. Give yourself a pat on the back for taking control and working to get healthier.
  • ChasesMumma927
    Options
    Thanks theresaknits
  • amisbest
    amisbest Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out this web site http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/ This guy gives great advice and dispels a lot of the myths around diabetes. He is not a Dr. but I have found his website and articles to be very much on target. Good luck
  • wild1ncrazy1
    wild1ncrazy1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed pre diabetic and cholesterol climbing... Didn't really change my diet... Found out the chest pains I been having for last 2 years were heart attacks. Had open heart quad bypass and now I'm listening to the drs and losing weight. Exercise get the triglycerides in control and for me everything else is following. Cut back on sugar and all the sweets. Listen to drs...