People who know a thing or two about computers, please help!?!?

Options
MrsGraves1987
MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
Ok I am aware this is very non-MFP related (lol) however I searched for the answer online and still haven't been able to sort - so I'm hoping to find some help from the only forum I am part of!!

I do my grocery shopping online, however I tried to do this last week - and I couldn't get it to work. I thought the website was down, so I tried again a few days later - still, I was unable to check out. I emailed Asda (uk, who I was shopping with) and they said there was no problem with their system, and for me to delete cookies and history and try again. This didn't work. I tried using Internet explorer - again, this had the same problem. I thought it might be a problem with my account, a glitch or something (which is weird because I have shopped online with them on this account plenty of times) so I tried with another store. This time, I am unable to add items to the trolley, and the items aren't being saved??? So it's definitely my computer.

I read that I may have turned off cookies, so I checked and no - cookies are allowed.

I am so confused!! Every other area of chrome and IE work (as far as I know) however it's just when I shop with grocery stores.

Extra information, I have tried using Internet explorer 7 and google chrome. Neither work. The only reason I am so desperate to shop online, is because I would like to use my credit card and I am still waiting to receive the pin.

Replies

• HunterKiller
    HunterKiller Posts: 361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have you tried Firefox also? also try clearing your browser cache. If not try uninstalling explorer and install again.
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    I don't have firefox :( I will try that though, thank you. Just so weird because it always worked before and all of a sudden I can't shop on either Chrome or Explorer :neutral_face: x
  • HunterKiller
    Options
    I have had simular problems before with other sites. Drive you bonkers :)
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    IT does indeed! Raaah! :s
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In IE, if you go to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced you should see the options at the bottom to reset IE to default settings. That usually fixes most problems
  • FitCattitude
    FitCattitude Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had issues using Firefox when trying to use Asda site. Haven't tried via Opera, but worth a try. Got so frustrated trying to use Asda site, I'm now with Tesco and very happy, lol.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    IE is awful. Please don't use it... use Chrome or FF instead
  • MarkJCherry
    MarkJCherry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Did tech support for 7 years (and am now a software developer) so hopefully I can be of some help :)

in Windows Control Panel go to Internet Options and on the General tab, in the Browsing History section click Delete. Make sure you uncheck "Preserve Favorite Website Data" and check "Temporary internet files and website files" and "Cookies and website data" then hit the Delete button.

Now back in the General tab of the Internet Options window, click Settings next to Delete. Make sure the Radio Button for the top option is selected (Every time I visit a webpage) and then click the middle button at the bottom that says "View objects." This will open up a folder. Delete EVERYTHING in that folder.

This will get rid of any saved content that might be loading and causing this to occur. A lot of temp files aren't redownloaded if they already exist on the computer. This is just the first step. Let me know if that helps.

Also, can you provide which version of what browser you're using (IE9, Chrome 40, Firefox 35 - this can be found in Help->About) and what OS you're using(Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows XP) or is it a Mac? I've been assuming Windows.
  • HunterKiller
    Options
    ^^^^^This guy :)
  • MarkJCherry
    Options
    Yea the scary thing is I typed that all up from memory and just double checked that I had it all right. Even the text.

...this is why I got fat. Too much time at the computer, not enough time running around. Hahaha
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Did tech support for 7 years (and am now a software developer) so hopefully I can be of some help :)

in Windows Control Panel go to Internet Options and on the General tab, in the Browsing History section click Delete. Make sure you uncheck "Preserve Favorite Website Data" and check "Temporary internet files and website files" and "Cookies and website data" then hit the Delete button.

Now back in the General tab of the Internet Options window, click Settings next to Delete. Make sure the Radio Button for the top option is selected (Every time I visit a webpage) and then click the middle button at the bottom that says "View objects." This will open up a folder. Delete EVERYTHING in that folder.

This will get rid of any saved content that might be loading and causing this to occur. A lot of temp files aren't redownloaded if they already exist on the computer. This is just the first step. Let me know if that helps.

Also, can you provide which version of what browser you're using (IE9, Chrome 40, Firefox 35 - this can be found in Help->About) and what OS you're using(Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows XP) or is it a Mac? I've been assuming Windows.

Wow! Thank you :) Ok I haven't done anything just yet because I am using a work computer and wondered whether if I follow those steps if it would affect anything on my computer other than make it work properly again? (LOL)

I am mainly using Chrome version 40 :)
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments by the way, I knew guys here would be so helpful!! <3
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    @DepricatedZero‌ Ok, so there was nothing in the folder in Internet Options, and I've deleted all History and cookies - it's still not working :( I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just will not let me use the websites properly? (When I say properly I mean when I try and add one item to my basket it says "we cannot add more than 24 items at once"?? I'm only adding 1) x
  • MarkJCherry
    Options
    If you're doing the shopping from work, it's possible that the network is blocking the cookies. Have you been able to shop before on this computer?

That said, my instructions are pretty standard first step troubleshooting for any helpdesk. The only thing you're doing is deleting temporary data, and the setting I suggested to change isn't one system administrators care about. You will have to log in again to any websites which store your login session in a cookie (such as MFP), and that will include any work sites.
  • MrsGraves1987
    Options
    @DepricatedZero‌ I have shopped on this computer before and it was all fine. It's just all of a sudden. Never mind, thank you for helping me :) I will have to wait for my pin to come through and get on my little legs! ;)
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Contact your network administrator :)
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    When are you getting an error? Is it at the checkout?
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Just checking in case you never power down your computer... you have rebooted it at some point? Also the CTRL+F5 command is a quick way to reset your cache when you are having input problems.