120+ to lose, support needed

Options
Hello, people, my name is Betty, I am 20 years old, I weigh 297 pounds and I am SO fed up with it. It´s going to change. Now.

My story is about loads of psychological issues followed by eating, followed by more issues. After several years of hard work I managed to get over most of that crap and since last June I lost 22 lbs somehow magically, without me trying (It, of course, stopped by now. Nope, no more miracles going on here.) Well- is that not a sign? I think it is.
I am tired of people looking at me and me not feeling comfortable with them looking at me, at the very least, and all that other stuff connected with this you all so very well know.

The reason I am writing this here is that I am pretty educated in terms of healthy dieting and overall weight-loosing, I know perfectly well what I should and should not be doing, but have a huge issue with sticking with my resolutions. Well. Sort of hoped that having some people read this, see the incredibly... awful pictures I attached and maybe offer some long-term psycho support would help. Without those people knowing me and how many times in the past I tried and failed. (Still, there´s the thing with not being a mental wreck anymore, which I guess might count. A bit.)

Therefore I´d very much appreciate some friends, who could associate with my weirdness. I´m pretty fun actually, most of the times.

ck8dk5rfdnns.jpg
748w40tgfmhg.jpg

Replies

• SCR2015
    SCR2015 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi!

I would love to support you on your weight loss journey! I'll send you a friend request!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Alot of us have been where you are now. I can sympathize and give you a little guidance if needed. Get on it and stay with it. Good luck!
  • suntomoon
    Options
    Hey there! I am almost 60 and been struggling my whole life - but you sound like you could be my sister. Shall we do this together? Congrats on finding ways to cope with all that othrt stuff! Prob won't be the last but at least you now have strategies! Guess they might work here too :)
  • terpgal85
    terpgal85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am struggling the same way...I know exactly what to do, but it's hard to keep with it! I'll add you...
  • StarFall90
    StarFall90 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds this past year and I have 130 left to lose. I would be happy to support you!
  • KJMajano
    KJMajano Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Please send request! I will be happy to motivate you as I am on the same journey!
  • martina1411
    martina1411 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hiya, you seem to have the same issues (and body shape) as I. I could use a friend for mutual help and support. I'm glad you're doing this in your twenties as I am still having the same issues in my forties. Feel free to add me :)
  • Cole478
    Options
    I too have a lot of weight to lose, about 90 pounds. I am looking for some friends and words of daily encouragement. I would be glad to be your fitness pal if you want "friend request" me. We can walk this adventure and journey together☺
  • mellythurman
    mellythurman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely love to support you and help in whatever way I can !! I will send a friend request right away ❤️
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You have a very similar shape as I do. I wonder if you might have PCOS and/or insulin resistance. Here are some of the signs:

Waist size of 40 inches or more in men and 35 inches or more in women.
    High levels of triglycerides (a type of fat in the blood): Your levels are 150 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or you're taking medicine to control your triglycerides.
    Low levels of "good" (HDL) cholesterol: Less than 40 mg/dL for men and less than 50 mg/dL for women.
    High blood pressure: Your blood pressure is 130/85 or higher, or you're taking medicine to treat high BP.
    Blood sugar levels that are above normal: Your fasting blood sugar levels are 100 mg/dL or above, or you're taking medicine to treat high blood sugar levels.

You are still young so some of these things may not be showing up yet. Irregular periods and dark patches of skin around the neck, armpits, etc. can also be signs. If you think this might be the case, please see your doctor and get tested for cholesterol, insulin, thyroid, testosterone levels. I had a lot of doctors tell me that I did not have this condition because my A1C (blood sugar) levels were normal. It wasn't until I saw an endocrinologist that I actually got the RIGHT tests done and got the diagnosis.

If you have insulin resistance, that can drive a sense of craving carbs, always being hungry, and having a hard time resisting food. Here is a thread where I talk about my experience more: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10056950/the-truth-about-sugar-addiction-from-a-former-sugar-addict
  • WendyZ82
    WendyZ82 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started on here in August 2013 weighing 291 lbs and feeling many of the same things you described above. I'm now 185 lbs and still working to lose about 20 more lbs. I've been there and I'd love to support you on your journey. Sending a request now :)
  • gettingweightoff50
    Options
    I'm struggling to.
  • Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this is the right place for you to get support! Count me in!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to your feelings but I got fed up in my fifties. I've been working on this for over eighteen months, down 89 pounds, and I had a lot of help along the way including surgery this past summer.

All success to you, and I think you will make it. How about setting up a mini goal this month, so you can celebrate a small success along the way? It takes a long time to get to 100 pounds lost....
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since jr high. I'm now 42. I think it's wonderful at your age you have made this decision. If I only new then what I know now.... :smiley: I'm here for you. I'll send you a friend request. My diary is open and I'm on everyday.
  • whitxorose
    whitxorose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat as you! I know the steps I need to take.. it's literally just committing to it. All of my close friends moved away after we graduated from college so I'm physically alone in this journey which is tough. But, I want to utilize an online community and hopefully that will help to motivate me more! Totally going to request you!
  • sunfLover
    sunfLover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am kind of amazed how incredibly supportive you all are. Thank you. I will try and accept at least most of your requests asap.

@girlviernes, I think this is not the case, since I went through a very thorough check-up last year and was told that my only health problem was a slightly higher BP. Which on it´s own is nothing to be pleased with, of course. But I might bring this topic up when I see my GP next time. Thank you for your suggestion. :) I´ve read your story and yey, sugar addiction is quite a burden, I know from my own experience. I am sure my troubles with sugar consupmtion are however caused by my mental state, because as long as I feel "normal" I have no cravings what so ever, but while going through my depression or anxiety periods, or while having a high stress level, I get totally out of my mind after candies. It helped, even though it obviously had consequences.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    High BP at your age is worrisome, although make sure they are using the right size cuff because if the cuff is too tight it will make your BP higher.

I guess I'm just skeptical of even thorough check ups since I had the signs for about 8 or more years before finally getting diagnosed. In my experience, many doctors don't really have a clue about this, which is pretty ridiculous given how common it is.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now :)
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can relate to a lot of what you've written. I got myself into an even deeper hole before I started digging myself out, I'm happy for you that you're making a change and seem to have a great attitude about it. Those are the kinds of changes that stick.

The relationship between psychological issues and weight seems obvious, but it's complicated, and it took me a long time to figure out I had to address the former if I wanted to have lasting success addressing the latter.

The only bit of advice I'd have as someone 100+lbs into my own weight loss is try to be gentle with yourself. Do the best you can, keep logging, lean on people as you need to and try not to fall back into attacking yourself. I think it's a coping mechanism we all develop to some degree but it leads to unhealthy things like self-loathing. It's no good.

Best of luck to you. You seem like a fun and lovely person and you deserve success. :)
  • J4ylor
    J4ylor Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!