How do you learn to eat foods that you don't like but you know are good for you?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of eating things I really don't like (granted, there aren't that many). But I eat things I tolerate because they are filling and low calorie (most veggies). But yeah, I don't hate them.

I think you're mixing up the two a bit... just because you haven't got used to eating something doesn't mean you don't like it... just that you haven't been eating it. I used to hate steak when I was a kid, now I like it. Tastes change... How can you know that you don't like something if you don't try it?

Regarding fish, you could try to make salmon patties or things like that, if you really want to eat some but don't like it.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    5 years ago, the only vegetables I liked were potatoes and corn, and the salad veggies that were familiar to me (lettuce, carrots, celery, cucumbers). but I decided to try new ones b/c I could see how much volume I could get for the calories vs. things like french fries. I started by using recipes on Skinny Taste primarily. If I didn't like a certain vegetable, I'd make myself try it again but prepared in a different way. I don't like spaghetti squash when it's treated like spaghetti, but I love it as the bottom layer of a lasagna.

My goal was to try two new-to-me foods per month. That was doable. Best advice: eat in-season fruits and vegetables, and ask the produce person about what's in season. They love to cut weird stuff open and explain what it is. If it's on sale, chances are it's in season. I've learned that I actually love most vegetables but my brain was getting in my way. I was used to the mushy, canned, sodium-laden crap from when I was a kid. And +1 on the roasted suggestion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    How do you grow up in the south and not eat green beans, tomatoes, corn, pinto beans, sweet potatoes and collard greens??

For learning to eat vegetables, I'd suggest ditching the salad bowl and roasting your vegetables. Add them to soups and stews and sauces and casseroles.
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I am nervous about introducing a vegetable I'm scared of or previously didn't love, I do it in a stir fry. Get used to a bit of it, mixed in - then slowly increase the amount. Now I love bok choy, for example.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    DanBGVa wrote: »
    I grew up in a family from the south, you know the type, just meat and potatoes, vegtable whats that? So as an adult the idea of eating vegetables does not go over with me. I have even tried and I struggle, but I know I need to eat these things in order to eat cleaner and healthier. So how do you learn to like foods that you A) never learned or were taught to eat as a child (remember eat your veggies) B) food you really need to be eating now but can't seem to find it within your taste buds. I mean something has got to give... for example I can't stand any kind of fish ANY but I know i have to figure out how to eat some.. at least once a week its good for me... any suggestions? Thanks everyone. :#:D

Why do you feel you need to eat fish? I would suggest you could create a healthy diet, and not eat foods you dislike. WIth fish specifically, I would say start by eating it at a restaurant, so you know it was prepared well. Next, I would say only eat/buy fresh fish - not frozen. I love fresh fish but can't stand it once it's been frozen - I find the texture totally gross. Finally, I would say try eating foods you think you dislike, prepared in new ways.

Have you ever tried lox? Which is smoked salmon? Or sushi? Or smoked trout? Or fish jerky? Maybe a different prep is the way to go for you.

Same with veggies - I hated - and I mean hated my mom's cauliflower growing up. It was the awful frozen kind for the microwave, with a nasty cheese sauce. I get nauseated just thinking about it....

Thing is cauliflower is now one of my very favorite foods! I LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted cauliflower with a little olive oil, salt, and rosemary.

Brussell sprouts? blanche them, then split in half and pan fry with shallots and balsalmic vinegar.

Broccoli? Pan fry with garlic, or roast it.

Carrots? Bake in the oven with a little salt and maple syrup.

You get the idea - there are so many ways to prepare foods that I never had as a kid, you might want to try experimenting with 1 food a week to see if you could widen your taste horizons. Most importantly, have fun with it!

From a southern girl raised on mushy microwave veggies.

• acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have also always been the "southern" eater of meat and "taters". I have started branching out by trying to cook things different ways. I was one that would not try something if I tried it once and didn't like it, but found that when it was cooked or even seasoned differently it makes a huge difference on taste. I now love lots of different vegetables! Have you tried grilling them? I love anything on the grill. Garlic, olive oil or butter (in moderation of course), season salt, and pepper are all my favorite seasonings. As for the fish, I would only eat it battered and fried which kinda defeated the purpose of eating healthy. Again I tried it grilled, broiled, and baked with different seasonings and found that I absolutely love it now and would eat it almost everyday. As another poster said, the type of fish makes a huge difference. I used to only buy Orange Roughy fish because it didn't have the fishy taste and dark colors in it. I now have branched out and love a variety of different fish. Salmon and talapia are wonderful on the grill! Again I like to season with the seasoning above or citris and basil rub, Jamaican Jerk, or a Monterrey rub. Just to try different seasonings, I fixed one of each for the entire family and we all got to try the different flavors and they got to tell me which one they liked best. By fixing 4 different flavors, by the time I tried all four with a good size bite, I had almost one whole piece down then decided which I liked the best! Good luck!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    You definitely do not need to eat a food if you really don't like it. That said, there are plenty of foods I absolutely hate prepared certain ways, and absolutely love prepared in others. So, it's good to explore your options. More dietary options is always a good thing.

If there's a food that you want to see if you can enjoy, probably the best thing to do is to post in the Recipes forum. Say something like:

I'm looking for other ways to prepare <food>". I've had it <boiled/roasted/steamed/etc> and I didn't like it because it was <mushy/bitter/tasteless/etc>. Any suggestions?

I'll guarantee you'll get some helpful responses, even if it's 'forget it, you can't get rid of that thing you don't like'.

ETA: Fish happens to be one of things I usually really, really dislike. But, I like canned tuna in a tuna salad with apple and sweet pickle (childhood holdover). I love sushi and sashimi - all of it. I like fried catfish, or other bland fish like pollock or cod, and I like poached Sea Bass (Pantagonian toothfish, not the other Sea Bass). Oddly enough, I love anchovies used judiciously. I love smoked salmon, and I love fish tacos if there's enough pickled slaw in them. And on a recent trip to France, I found out I love fresh-caught sardines fried whole with a saffron aioli. Who knew?
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you've never enjoyed certain types of food and didn't grow up eating them, I think the best way to start eating them is preparing them in ways that somewhat mask the flavor, and gradually prepare them in ways where the flavor starts to emerge a bit, once you get used to them.

For example, if you're a 'meat and potatoes' kind of person, why not make a potato crusted piece of white fish in a light cream sauce, or do some seafood with bbq sauce.

If you like hot wings, you can combine those flavors with cauliflower to make buffalo cauliflower.

You can make mashed potatoes and do half cauliflower / half potatoes.

I think as you start experimenting, you might find ways to enjoy these foods.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Some people have a desire to experience different foods, even if they didn't like them the first time around.
    For example, I always hated muscles. But, they always looked fun to eat and my friends were crazy about them. The third time I tried them, I knew what they were talking about. It was the restaurant and how they were prepared that made the difference.
    Try slathering butter/cheese or anything you like on the foods you want to try. After a while, I bet you can cut back on the "toppings" and will begin to like the flavor.
    It makes going out to eat so much more fun when you are willing to eat a variety of foods.
  • AMTaylor1980
    AMTaylor1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hated vegetables as a kid. Now I make myself try something I used to not like periodically, especially if I see it prepared in a way that seems interesting. I now love a lot of vegetables I despised - sweet potatoes, collards & other greens, celery, etc. I still have issues with bitter foods like chard, endive, etc. (But I have some gene that is hypersensitive to bitter compounds. We had to lick some strip of paper in HS biology. Half of us could taste it, half couldn't.) When in doubt, saute it in bacon grease. LOL It's how I learned to like brussel sprouts. I don't know how to get over textural issues. I can't stand gristle and anything chewy like it (like duck feet or the end of chicken wings). I had my Asian card revoked over it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with the advice you've been given. Don't force yourself. Start small. If there are even 1-2 vegetables you like, let's say broccoli...eat it 4-5 times a week. There's no law that you must eat EVERY veggie.

Be open to trying different ways of eating things. A few examples of my own...

- hated the salads my mom served when I was a kid, iceberg lettuce with chopped raw tomato and croutons.
    As an adult I 'discovered' other types of lettuce and salad greens and I like raw chopped red or white onion on my salads, sometimes also sunflower seeds or dried fruit.

- hated the cooked carrots my mom made with roast & potatoes. Really like raw carrots.

- never liked the candied yams served at Thanksgiving so I figured I'd hate sweet potatoes.
    I actually love a baked sweet potato with just a bit of butter on it.

One more: I have always hated drinking ice water or room temperature/lukewarm water. Come to find out, I LOVE drinking water that is kept fridge-cold, especially out of a cup w/ a straw and lid. That has helped me go from someone who drank 2 diet sodas a day and was probably so dehydrated for years, to a person who drinks TONS of water! Not veg-related but just an example of figuring out what works for you. Good luck!
  • sheebs11
    sheebs11 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    try different prep methods. for example i am not a fan of boiled brussel sprouts, but roast those bad boys with some olive oil and S+P and i cannot get enough. all about being flexible and open minded (which you clearly are if you're looking for advise on how to make less desirable things for yourself more desirable)
    I am really not a picky eater but i still own a large # of cookbooks and am always trying different methods because why not.
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies by adding fruits and veggies together. By doing this you get a nice tasting meal with the veggies included.

I make a smoothie with apple, tomato, baby carrots and spinach with about 1 cup to 1//2 cup water. It is quite good with the taste of the apple in there. I first add the water to the blender and blend 1/2 cup baby carrots real well, then I add 1 medium cored and chopped apple, then cut tomato in four pieces, skin and all and 1 cup spinach on top. Add some ice to hold the spinach down and make your drink ice cold. Whirl it up again and you have a tasty meal in a cup.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    I used to hate stew when I was a kid...turns out I don't like pearl barley and everyone I know puts it in their stew! My stews are lovely, because I've cooked them without it.

Try cooking them in different ways and you'll be surprised. For instance, I fry (with just a tiny bit of oil or 1 calorie spray) courgettes, mushrooms, onions and peppers and put some paprika over them or some bbq sauce and it's amazing! W
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, season (and, for some veggies, add some lower calorie butter). I particularly like Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning. It gives them a kick. Yum. Or, good old fashioned salt and cracked black pepper. Buy fresh, or, at the very least, frozen-- canned veggies are NEVER as delicious.

If you don't like them, you don't like them. Vitamins FTW.

As far as fish go, seasoning can go a loooong way, too. Try grilling, pan-frying, whatever. If you still can't get past it, you're not the only one in the world who doesn't eat fish, and they all manage to live on! ;)
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try sauteing carrots, onions, mushrooms, and red bell peppers in a little bit of coconut oil and add garlic, salt, and pepper. I also add some low sodium teriyaki sauce to help flavor them.

As for eating fish, tuna fish is good for you. I mash up avocado, onion, tomatoes, a lil dijon mustard, cumin, cilantro, lime zest & juice, and garlic salt with it. It tastes great, is really healthy, and it fills me up. I eat that for lunch on whole grain bread and don't even think about food until 4 or 5 hours later.

Another good thing for salmon is to marinate it. I've marinated it in a home made Jack Daniels sauce and I've seen recipes for a chili glaze.

The key to foods you don't like is to find ways to add spice and flavors you do like to them.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Sneaking them in is also a good idea. My partner isn't a huge fan and when I met him he'd not eat most veg. When I do a lasagne or bolognese or a chicken dish I put in onion, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn and other veg that he might not like on its own but goes well in a meal.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I've read that if you try something 7 or 8 times you'll get over your perceived dislike for it.
    I always thought I'd hate cooked cabbage, since the smell was so stinky. I didn't try it until I was over 40. Turns out, I loved it! Same with Brussels sprouts. Only one thing I can't seem to like is cooked carrots. I like them raw, but something about the texture of them cooked turns me off. So, when I make soups or stews (my family loves cooked carrots) I shred them. This changes the texture and we all enjoy them now. I've yet to eat an oyster- but I think I can live without trying one of those. ;)
  • cdrockylady
    cdrockylady Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Start with more FRUITS, rather than vegetables.. they taste better (esp. organic ). Just pair any protein of any kind with a complex carbohydrate (like an apple, or anything really). Fruit is your complex carb - pair it with chicken, or anything protein. After some time, you will notice you are feeling more okay with swapping out the fruit for a "red bell pepper", or switching out the apple for a garden salad (as you learn more). This process will sensitize your taste buds, and prime them for a higher veggie diet.

Use the fruit as a stepping stone. Be searching for various vegetable simple recipes to try here and there as you feel comfortable. Your comfort level with better proteins and better complex carbs (like veggies instead of fruit) will get better and better over time.

Ease into it - it's a long term lifestyle and way of eating. It will be an evolutionary process, starting with things you DO like, and eventually morphing into something even healthier. But it takes time. You don't have to jump in all at once eating only what is healthy for you. If vegetables are feeling yucky to you, don't force it. It will scare you away from them for longer. Ease into it. Best of luck!