natural foods

Options
My sugar level are high, I am usually under my calorie goal and watch what I eat and how much very closely. Had a Nutritionist tell me that anything natural is good for you Like Fruit, nuts, fresh veggies, ect. but all these things shout up sugar and carbs. how do I fix this

Replies

• SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're a diabetic. Get checked.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about your MFP set sugar level? Because it is insanely low and can be gone over by eating a couple pieces of fruit. The general advice is to ignore it, as it is unrealistic.
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to watch your carb and sugar intake, stick to mostly vegetables, lean proteins, eggs, nuts, seeds, etc. All of those choices are "relatively" low in sugar, thus carbohydates. Be sure to include some carbohydates though, as they are necessay for a balanced diet. Ensure the carbs you do eat are complex carbs rather than simple carbs. I read somewhere that you want to find foods that contain at least 1g of fiber per 10g of total carbohydate. Hope that helps a little :)
  • mernagustinbaker
    Options
    Maybe you're a diabetic. Get checked.

No not Diabetic
  • mernagustinbaker
    Options
    Are you talking about your MFP set sugar level? Because it is insanely low and can be gone over by eating a couple pieces of fruit. The general advice is to ignore it, as it is unrealistic.

Yes MFP. and that's what I was meaning, fruit is an all natural sugar, and should not count against you.....so was just concerned if what I had been told my a nutritionist was wrong or miss understood. thank you comment helped.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Track fiber instead of sugar intake.
  • mernagustinbaker
    Options
    If you are trying to watch your carb and sugar intake, stick to mostly vegetables, lean proteins, eggs, nuts, seeds, etc. All of those choices are "relatively" low in sugar, thus carbohydates. Be sure to include some carbohydates though, as they are necessay for a balanced diet. Ensure the carbs you do eat are complex carbs rather than simple carbs. I read somewhere that you want to find foods that contain at least 1g of fiber per 10g of total carbohydate. Hope that helps a little :)

What Is the difference between Complex Carbs and Simple Carbs.....I am so Confused on this.......
  • ValentineNicole
    ValentineNicole Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins and lots of veggies, eat fruits but limit them, make sure grains are WHOLE grains and eaten sporadically. That's the best way to limit carbs and lower blood sugar. Fats are great, as long as they are healthy - just watch portion sizes. Dairy is fine, but too much upsets some people. Watch the added sugar
    -
    Try things out and track everything. You'll find a way to keep those sugars down that satisfies you.

And please, please don't worry about the veggies. Unless you're mostly eating potatoes (starch) or corn (actually a grain), they're highly unlikely to spike blood sugar
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My sugar level are high, I am usually under my calorie goal and watch what I eat and how much very closely. Had a Nutritionist tell me that anything natural is good for you Like Fruit, nuts, fresh veggies, ect. but all these things shout up sugar and carbs. how do I fix this

Your nutritionist is an idiot. Lots of natural things have the potential to be very bad to deadly to you
  • CamoGirl1985
    CamoGirl1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Complex vs. Simple Carbohydrates: Well, I am not a nutritionist or an expert on the subject; however, I will explain how I have come to understand it. Complex carbs have longer molecular chains of sugars and therefore take the body longer to break down and absorb into the blood stream. This will, in turn, promote a more gradual increase in insulin levels. A simple carbohydrate is usually only a couple sugar molecules held together and is very easy for your body to break down and use. (Obviously, I am not a scientist either :) So this is in layman's terms. ) When it does not take the body long to break the sugar down it elicits a quicker spike in insulin levels. Also, most complex carbs have fiber and more micronutrients than simple, and the fiber helps the body digest it more slowly. I kind of like to think of complex carbs as giving you "more bang for your buck". Some examples of complex carbs are dark leafy vegetables, nuts/seeds, and beans. Some examples of simple carbs are white breads, candies, sodas, etc. I personally, have tried to cut out all simple carbs and focus on getting my carbohydrates from more nutritional sources. Hope that clears a couple things up.... I am sure someone more educated on the subject may chime in as well.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

What Is the difference between Complex Carbs and Simple Carbs.....I am so Confused on this.......

Don't worry about it. People misuse it to mean healthy and unhealthy, but it just has to do with the molecular structure. Potatoes (including chips) are complex carbs, and fruit are simple carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Track fiber instead of sugar intake.

And this is the most sensible thing to do, IMO.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

http://www.bellwood.ca/blog/addiction-treatment/carbohydrates-the-simple-and-complex-truth/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Just because a fruit contains simple carbs doesn't mean you cut it out of your diet altogether. Just like we don't cut all the simple friends out of our lives. It's all about moderation and variety.
  • mernagustinbaker
    Options
    thank you all. and my blood sugars are fine. Its when I put in my food to MFP that the sugar levels are high. everything else seems fine. just didn't know what to do about MFP