Stationary Bike

Options
So i have been very lazy these last few years and have gained 30 lbs. Partly due to a dumb steriod shot that i had to get twice in my knee. I have stopped the shot and want to get back in shape. I purchased a stationary bike. Do you think the bike will be effective? Like i said i have been lazy and have built a habit of it, so i would like to start slow..

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you like using the bike, then it would be good for cardio. Which is good for heart, lung health and improving your fitness level.

To lose weight, though, is a matter of making sure you take in less calories than your body uses on a daily basis. Set up a profile, enter your stats/etc. and start logging/tracking your food. Be realistic in your goals - if you gained 30 pounds over a few years, you can expect to take it off in 6-12 months.
  • demi1luv
    Options
    Thank you, thank you for your response. I appreciate the advice. It is so hard to change eating habits. I have been logging my meals and it is really helping.

Thanks
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    There are better forms of cardio/endurance training. I would also recommend that you work in resistance/strength training. Variety is a great thing when making a fitness regime.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a road bike set up on a trainer to flexibly turn it into a stationary bike during colder months. The key to stationary biking is to make sure your MFP calorie burn assumptions are lining up with reality. It's easy to spin the stationary bike and not really build up heart rate if the resistance is set too low. One way to keep everything in check is to monitor your heart rate. I use the Instant Heart Rate App from Azumio for the iPhone and the following website to calculate my calorie burn. http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx" Like the first poster said, it's all about running an overall deficit. One way to do that is make sure you're not giving yourself too much credit for your exercise.
  • dblanch2013
    Options
    I lost about 30 lbs. It was a combination of diet and doing the stationary bike. It definitely can help you lose weight. But like all others have said, try to get a daily deficit with your food plan first and then add the bike as an additional weight loss tool.

Also, make sure you are pushing yourself on the bike. It should be sustainable for a long period of time, but still somewhat difficult. I typically ride for about 45 minutes to an hour 3-4 times a week.

And I agree, variety in exercise will help. But yes, the stationary bike can make a change too.

But first and foremost, focus on the diet. The bike will help speed up the process.

If you get bored, watch TV/movies or read. I love reading and I have been able to pound through quite a few books on the bikes.
  • k_stump_13
    k_stump_13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think if you log your food and use the stationary bike you should have some success. A few years back, I was able to lose almost 40lbs just logging and using the bike. I would select the 'hill' workout and do that for an hour 5 days a week. The other 2 days I would just walk around the neighborhood. I think the bike is a good starting point for you!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its not bad as a piece of cardio equipment, but its directly dependent on the duration and intensity of rides for effectiveness and as a calorie burner. If you put the effort in then you will get benefits, but you should start with controlling your diet and then supplement it with exercise.
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Diet is the key but exercise is good for you on many levels. Depending on your age you may want to get clearance from your doctor before beginning an exercise routine. I would recommend interval training when using the bike and also floor exercises and weights to build muscle and core strength
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and fat is much more about diet than exercise. That said, getting healthy and fit requires some exercise. Some exercises are better for burning calories and overall fitness than others, of course, but you're better off doing something you like because you're more likely to stick with it. So if you like biking, then have at it!

I also own a stationary bike and I do use it, especially when the weather outside isn't conducive to running, which is my exercise of choice. I put a TV show or movie on and pedal away for 45 minutes to an hour. It may not burn as many calories as the same time spent running but it's better than sitting on the sofa watching TV, that's for sure.
  • amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do some HIIT work outs with your bike. I have a spinning bike, and I do spinning videos three-four times a week, so its low-high resistance at different times of your work out, while working different parts of your body since you sit, then stand, then bend, etc. Youtube has some great spinning videos that can help. Staying at a low resistance on your bike wont do much.

Good luck
  • juicengrilledcheese
    Options
    I also just got a stationary bike. I'm trying to get started. Things I can do other things while I'm on the bike so better to do a little bit… Even if it's not high resistance then nothing at all.