Has anyone tried weight loss supplements, and if so, what was your reaction/experience?

Options
I've had some people tell me supplements are helpful, such as Hydroxycut's products, but to me they just seem like a way to cash in on this market. Does anyone have any weight loss supplement success stories?

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Nope, you won't find any success stories outside of their website & the hired hands reading scripts.
    Nothing sold on the shelves of a drugstore for "weight loss" will help you lose weight.
    They might have caffeine, which you can get elsewhere for lower cost, and would give you a little more energy.

There are prescription appetite suppressants which do work for some people, but they have side effects and you'd need to be supervised by a doctor and either obese (by BMI) or overweight (by BMI) with other health problems.

And there are actual scientific studies which have found that people who take (for example) a multivitamin lose weight faster & are more healthy, but IIRC it's only a correlation/association, not a proven causation. I quote from & link to 2 of those studies in this blog post.

51637601.png
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Experience: heart palpitations
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight I tried Hydroxycut. The only thing it made me lose was money. I had more luck just lowering my cals to a reasonable deficit and logged everything that I ate. Hope that helped- Good luck OP. :)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    What did I lose? Money. What did I gain? The shakes. Don't waste your time. No magic pills.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    My experience was,

They Didn't work :s
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I hate those commercials!!!! I've not tried anything, but had to comment because butterfli's comment made me bust out laughingQ
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    They can actually be very dangerous.

I don't know about recent versions of Hydroxycut, but in 2009 the FDA was warning people to stop using the products. It was apparently causing liver damage.

Most "weight loss" supplements contain high dosages of caffeine and other stimulants. They tend to leave out exact amounts of what is in there on the label and just say there "blend" is so many mg's.

Best to just avoid stuff like that.

Multivitamins aren't a necessity and I don't know if they aid in weight loss. I do know that I feel better when I take one, but that could easily be from the fact that I probably don't get all my micronutrients in through food. I currently take a vitamin called "One Source Women's" (found at walmart for like $5) and that's the only supplement I take.
  • LiveForTheWilderness
    Options
    An EC Stack works wonders with curbing appetite in the short-term while and helps to boost metabolism. I do it for a couple of weeks when I need to break a plateau (along with careful caloric intake regulation).
  • tostaky
    tostaky Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Heart paliptations... It was quite scary actualy... No weight loss at all...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    An EC Stack works wonders with curbing appetite in the short-term while and helps to boost metabolism. I do it for a couple of weeks when I need to break a plateau (along with careful caloric intake regulation).

I thought Ephedrine was illegal in the states ...

(I know not everyone in the forums are from the States)
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No thanks. I like my liver and kidneys.
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hydroxycut made me gain weight and made my chest hurt too! For a more natural approach to boosting your metabolism and burning fat use Green Tea. Do your research!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    In the past, they were relatively harmless--didn't work, but were reasonably safe. Now, because many of them are sourced from China or other countries, where manufacturing standards can be somewhat to very "lax", they could be downright dangerous. Some have been tested and a fairly large percentage should have been excluded from being sold here. They have been shown to often contain amphetamines, others are loaded with heavy metals, steroids, etc.--and the list goes on and on.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Green tea extract can be particularly dangerous to the liver. Green tea is usually okay to drink, but I would avoid the extract.
  • hdrenollet
    hdrenollet Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    The only FDA approved weight loss supplement in the US that I'm aware of is Alli. It's not some miracle drug. It's only for people who are severely overweight and it only works in conjunction with a fairly strict and low-fat diet program. It prevents a portion of the fat you eat from being absorbed which helps you lose small amounts of weight. I used to know someone who was on it, the key is really the diet and it helps you stick to it. If you happen to eat a cheeseburger while you're on this, plan on spending the rest of your day on the toilet...

As far as everything else out there, it's not worth it.
  • linzb91
    linzb91 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody for affirming what I had originally been skeptical of! Apparently I was right.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    In my experience:

If you find something that works it will either be banned soon or will lead to tolerance which means it will stop working, probably within a couple of weeks. Then backlash sets in and you devour everything you can get your hands on and end up right where you started.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I thought Ephedrine was illegal in the states ...

(I know not everyone in the forums are from the States)

It is illegal to sell it as a marketed dietary supplement because idiots abused it thinking more is always better. It does work, tons of studies to back it up and still readily available in most every drug store across the nation, just got to know what to ask for because they keep it behind the counter.

Shouldn't be used by extremely overweight, people with heart conditions, or people extremely sensitive to stimulants because the combination will raise your resting heart rate.