Over 40s Success Stories

Options
FitnessTim
FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
My wife and I are both over 40. Obviously at our age, staying fit and staying motivated is more difficult than it was when we were in our 20's.

For all of us who are over 40 and trying to get back into fitness, it would be great to see or hear examples of others over 40 who have lost weight.

I believe the best advice and motivations comes from people who were in a similar situation and not from fitness gurus who have been fit all their lives. I love people like Jillian Michaels, Tim Ferris, Chris Powell, etc, but could these people really understand what it is like being over 40 and out of shape? Would they really understand the physical and psychological challenge that 40 somethings face?

Watch any fitness show on TV and you will hear the experts tell their clients, "You did it.", "Look at what you accomplished.". They know that they can only help their clients but it is up to the individual to meet the challenge.

If you were significantly overweight and have successfully lost weight after 40, please share your success story (before and after pictures would be great).

Replies

• joez71
    joez71 Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am 43, I lost about 60lbs last year through diet and exercise.

It does get harder when you get older but it can be done. The main difference I found for me is that I need to manage my recovery better, rest is more important than the exercise in some ways. I find exercising every second days works best for me.

You also need work around the little aches and pains rather than just taking time off and sitting on the couch feeling sorry for yourself.

No matter what hurdles are thrown at me , I know I will find a solution, I will try anything to resolve it and I am not afraid to fail until I find it.

On the bright side, you will soon find yourself doing things and feeling better than you did when your were in your 20's ;)

9wdz6dtrhoyh.jpg
  • jeepskate
    jeepskate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and I have lost 58 lbs since Sept. I got fed up with how I looked and there was no way I was going to hit 300 lbs. It was at that point, where I was fed up, that my lifestyle changed. I completely gave up soda and donuts, they are my kryptonite. We make smarter choices with the foods we eat, cook from scratch using whole food ingredients but we also do not completely deny ourselves the things we like. For instance I love pizza, when I reached 50 lbs lost, we celebrated pizza-palosa! Totally worth it in the end. If I can do it, anybody can. I know it sounds cliché but I love to eat so it is a truism.
  • Tabbitha1968
    Tabbitha1968 Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm am 46 and I have lost 110 lbs since March 2013. It didn't start out as a goal but it became what I made it. I'm still about 70 away from my goal but I know I have made permanent changes and I have what I need to accomplish my goal. This is the greatest accomplishment of my life and I look forward to doing so much more.

This picture was at 85 lost, when i get a chance ill do some updated
    shots!!
    y2klr38j3ir0.png

• BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! This is very motivating and inspirational! I am 52 and need all the help I can get!
  • WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes, thanks so much for posting. I'm 54 and have fond memories of how much easier losing weight used to be! :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I am in better shape at almost 41 than I was at 21
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I'm a 42 year old mum of 2 (daughter is 7, son is 5)....and I've found that my weight has crept up over the last few years.

On Jan 1st I weighed 181 lbs (I'm 5'5" so this gave me a BMI of 30.2 - obese!)....so, I'm on day 29 and have lost 11 lbs so far. It's SO much harder than it was losing weight in my 20s or 30s....even after having my babies in my mid-30s, the weight just dropped off within a few months. Sigh....

Anyway, so it's harder this time but I'm still going for it. Am setting an initial goal of 140 lbs but may go lower depending on how I feel when I get there.

I'm sticking to 1200 cals per day and doing lots of exercise (running, swimming, walking, kickboxing). I've also kick-started the year by having a sober January. I'm pleased with the 11 lb loss but it's felt like a full time job getting it off!!!

Will post before & after photos when I get to goal. I am taking photos in my underwear each 1st of the month for my own records....but I'll post fully clothed ones on here. Nobody but me and my hubby needs to see me in my bra & knickers!

Good Luck!

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I just turned 45 and joined MFP last August. I've lost 41 pounds (started at 230lbs) so far and have increased my exercise from 0 to 5-6 days a week. At the same time I started a couch to 5k running program and now run 3 days a week.

The first 6 months have actually seemed really easy. Now is when my determination has to kick in to lose the next 40 pounds. I'm not sure age has had much to do with it, except that I know I'll never have a flat stomach and my skin is likely to sag a bit. Still, once I hit my goal, I'll only weigh 5 pounds more than I did in junior high! I'll take a bit of saggy skin if that's what it takes.
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    oh, please keep this thread going! I took before pictures and want to post progress here! I'm 41 and need to drop 40-50 pounds. great inspirational stuff! good job y'all
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Started at 48.5 years old, October 2010, 221 pounds:
    SueSept2010_zpsd56edc36.jpg[/url]

75-pound loss, about a year later:
    SueSitko_1_zpsc4614adf.jpg[/url]

Now, I'm about 52.5, started lifting free weights, and don't have a current pic, but hoping to get more muscular and strong!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    53. I started 1/1/14 at 415. I'm now at 339. The important part is that I am changing the way I eat by learning the nutritional values and making conscious decisions as to what and how much I am going to eat. I'm eating some 700 calories per day less than I was when I started - sometimes 1000 less.

All I have to do is lose one more pound.

Then repeat that 125 more times.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds in my late 30's and now am 40 and have kept it off for around 2 years now. I really don't view it as all that much more difficult to be thin in my 40's, maybe slightly more. I was never significantly overweight though, just at the high end of normal for bmi and now down to my high school weight which I guess is technically underweight, but I don't really view it as so. Went from 140 to 105. Sort of viewing age as an excuse for people, but really not a good one. We'll see at 50, but that's my judgment for 40.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just a couple of months from 46 years young. 6' 0" 204 pounds to 155 pounds

Before: Skinny-fat to slightly pudgy. Definite classic beer-belly and moobs. 204 pounds

pfpn6ymcqe42.jpg

After: Abs, glorious abs. Skinny but fit and tight. 155 pounds

i60lisnct3i7.jpg

I lost one full quarter of me. 25%. Is that "significant"? I dunno but it feels great!

Easy Peasy

• youdiejoe
    youdiejoe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My goal last year at 49 was to lose 50 pounds by the time I turned 50, over the next 10 months I lost 55 pounds! Losing weight is not restricted by age.

1gpx3d5crp2t.jpg
    vv7aigpvrexg.jpg
    w3jrbycqradk.jpg
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I started being serious about losing weight in JAN14 when I was 43.
    I'll be turning 46 next month, and in the last year I've lost nearly 80 lb.

21APR14 258 lb
    20140421Krysta258_zps5e31ce01.jpg

14DEC14 205 lb
    I has cheekbones! And a chin, and muscles in my neck, and collarbones, and ribs, and hips, though you can't see those in this picture.
    20142012201520me_zpsaeg8ovrs_1_1.jpg

30APR14 253
    I was already 20 lb down here. I figured this was actually working, so I'd better document it!
    c0ebc0aa-19a3-4c80-8540-d728ff59af87_zpsde3c5fe6_1.jpg

15DEC14 205 lb
    This shows my progress shirt. I update it every 10 lb I lose, crossing off the last milestone.
    2014%2012%2015%2070%20down_zps7tyjevjz_1.jpg

51637601.png
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am 44. I started about 4 years ago at 237 pounds. I lost seventy pounds and kept it off for a few years then went back to school to study massage therapy while working full time during the day. A years worth of 12 hour days were not kind to me and I gained back about 35 pounds but now that I am back to a normal schedule I am on my way to losing it again. I actually want to lose about 50 pounds.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    My before picture was age 39. Now, almost 10 years later, I am very close to being half my highest weight (within 5 lbs). One by one, I have undercovered various pieces of my health that I could fix, and I have done so. The first 17 occurred when I began treatment for PCOS. Next, the Duodenal Switch (a malabsorptive Weight loss surgery) repaired my metabolism, cured my insulin resistance, and helped me lose the next 106 lbs. Last, I have begun doing Intermittent Fasting with Low Carb/High Fat to reduce inflammation, help regulate hypoglycemia and thyroid. With this, I have lost about 12 lbs so far over the last three months, and according to my scale (which measures BF percentage), it's all fat loss. Still have another 25-30 to go. But I haven't had a single hypo episode since I started this, so I feel that it's fixing more than just my weight.
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    oh, please keep this thread going! I took before pictures and want to post progress here! I'm 41 and need to drop 40-50 pounds. great inspirational stuff! good job y'all

Same (ish) age and similar goal....am sending you a friend request!!!
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing and for the motivation!
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and have lost about 80 lbs, and have been in maintenance for about a year and a half.

Wrapping my head around cals in/cals out was my key. Using MFP and Fitbit, I can monitor my daily (estimated) calorie expenditure and make sure that I eat accordingly.

I will be honest, at this point in my life a regular workout schedule is not happening. In fact, I ended my gym membership. Right now I can commit to fitting small things into my day - walking at lunch, during DS soccer practices, running up and down stairs. Being honest with myself and not setting unreasonable expectations was another key. I would be setting myself up for failure if I weren't being realistic.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!