How often do you go grocery shopping?

Options
I absolutely detest grocery shopping. I try to plan out every meal for the week and only go shopping once a week. The problem is the healthier my meal plan, the more I have to go shopping. Lettuce won't make it through the week along with a few other vegetables.

Just wondering what everyone else does, if they go a few times a week or just plan for the week and go once.

Replies

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Lettuce can make it through the week! It's all about storage. I read a trick recently that if you blow into a bag with which you keep your lettuce, it will keep longer because of the CO2.

I only go grocery shopping once a week as well, easier to keep to my grocery budget that way.
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If they have them at your grocery store, get Debbie Meyer Green Bags. They really do keep your vegetables fresh longer. You might find them in the produce department. I was surprised how long lettuce lasts when in one of those bags.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I prefer to only go once a week as well, but sometimes I'll get a second trip in after work so I can check the co-op for meats on sale. Most of my veggies are frozen (broccoli and spinach) because I don't want my vegetables to go bad in the fridge.
    Lettuce should make it through the week, though...I'm kinda surprised yours doesn't. Are you keeping it in the crisper?

-T.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I go once a week as well and that's plenty frequently. I'm not a meal planner but I love to cook, so I just use what's in the fridge until it's gone rather than going out again to get whatever we feel like for that night.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i have my main shopping delivered once a week and grab random bits as needed maybe once or twice a week
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I do my main shopping once per week and then may make some supplemental trips for other things.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Once a week for meat and fresh items. Every other week for staples and non-food items.
  • AllTheNoms
    AllTheNoms Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    2-3 times per week. Now that I am eating better I really enjoy wandering around Whole Foods to see what new things I can discover that will fit in with my macros and calorie count. I hate errands, so this was a big change for me. One thing that helped was changing grocery stores to one that is by my gym so I can pop in on my way home after a work out.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    1x per week, but replenish during the week as necessary
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    AllTheNoms wrote: »
    2-3 times per week. Now that I am eating better I really enjoy wandering around Whole Foods to see what new things I can discover that will fit in with my macros and calorie count. I hate errands, so this was a big change for me. One thing that helped was changing grocery stores to one that is by my gym so I can pop in on my way home after a work out.

I know this sounds dumb but I am intimidated by Whole Foods. I love it there but I have no idea what half the stuff is or how to use it! I am a novice cook and going from an all fast food diet to cooking at home has been challenging. I'm good with the basics for now and maybe over time I can move on to bigger and better things!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    grnice39 wrote: »
    I know this sounds dumb but I am intimidated by Whole Foods. I love it there but I have no idea what half the stuff is or how to use it! I am a novice cook and going from an all fast food diet to cooking at home has been challenging. I'm good with the basics for now and maybe over time I can move on to bigger and better things!

Try asking somebody! The other day I was at Whole Foods and was scoping out the oils to see if they carried macadamia nut oil or walnut oil. Some lady came wandering over looking all lost and grabbed an employee for help choosing an oil to fry fish in. I had actually just done a lot of research on oil types (new keto diet person) and perked up a bit. The poor guy couldn't answer her question, but said, "This lady looks like she might have an answer for you!"
    I love food. I love talking about food. If you ask, what's the worst that can happen? They can ignore you or say I don't know...or MAYBE they will talk your ear off and you'll learn a bunch before you have to fake a situation to get yourself outta there (yeah, that's happened to me before, too). haha

-T.

• AllAboutThatPace
    AllAboutThatPace Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I go once a week to grab things like bread, milk, veggies, fruit, etc. I'd say in a month's time, I go big grocery shopping - meats, cereals, canned goods, etc.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I only have time to go once a week myself. I just make sure to use the most perishable produce first and by the end of the week I'm usually using some frozen veggies and chicken breasts
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I go about once every two weeks (sometimes even less). Lettuce lasts about a week for me (mostly because I eat it quickly). Things like onions, peppers, apples, etc. last for the entire two weeks. I buy a lot of frozen broccoli and spinach too. I make and freeze my own bread. I hate grocery shopping too, so I go minimally. I probably average about $50/shopping trip.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I used to go weekly but not so much any longer. I will more than likely go this Sunday but it's been a while since I've had to go.

I make my own yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream. I have a freezer filled with veggies and some things that I've made. I have meat in my freezer to use and we're getting a 1/4 cow soon so that will be a ton of frozen beef that I won't need to go out for (we plan on grinding our own meat to make ground beef). Really the only things I go to the store for right now are eggs, butter (which when I run out I'm going to make my own), lettuce for salad, cheeses and lunch meats. I like not having to run to the store weekly.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Usually we go once a week. There are times that we have to run out during the week to get something that we missed or forgot or that we ran out of. We are big salad eaters - and eat a huge salad every night with whatever we are having with dinner (helps with portion control). There are times that we need more lettuce or tomatoes or something - we usually go through 3 or 4 big boxes of lettuce.

I recommend Olivia's Organics lettuce - even when we are busy some weeks, and eat less at home, the big boxes (11 oz) stay fresh for us, and we keep them on the bottom shelf of the fridge (we can't fit them in the crisper since they are big). I find bagged lettuce is never enough and doesn't last as long.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Once per week...occasionally I have to pop in to pick up something we're missing for a particular meal, but otherwise we shop once per week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Once a week - usually on Sundays - and we usually eat lettuce (& other stuff that goes bad fast) more in the beginning of the week than the latter part.