What to do at the gym?

Options
Hey everyone!

So I have been wanting to really get into the whole gym thing for a while now. I have always been intimidated going to the gym alone because I don't exactly know what to do when I get to the gym (besides cardio machines) that is considered a "good workout". Do you have any specific tips on what I can do to have a well rounded workout each time I go to the gym? Also, do you have any encouragement on facing the fear of going to the gym alone?

Thanks, I need all of the encouragement and help I can get so anything will help! Add me!

Replies

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend strong lifts 5x5 its fun
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I do StrongLifts 5x5 some days, I have a running training program I follow on the treadmill other days, and I also cycle on the stationary bike. You have to look at what you want to achieve in your workout and also what you like to do and what you can do and then balance that all out. You might do a little cardio followed by strength training or you may want to do a lot of cardio and only do strength training on a few in-between days.
  • juliejordan23
    juliejordan23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would see if your gym offers a session with a personal trainer who can set you up with a program you can do on your own, and show you the ropes on how to use the equipment. I have found one session to get orientated on track has been all I need, and my gym offers that service for free, which is great.

In terms of going alone - just know that you are in the right place. No one should judge you for being at a gym and trying to get fit. Do your thing, ask questions, and have fun. I go alone, and over time have met people who are there the same times I go and that makes continuing to go easier, and more fun too. You can do it.
  • whitxorose
    whitxorose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    I do StrongLifts 5x5 some days, I have a running training program I follow on the treadmill other days, and I also cycle on the stationary bike. You have to look at what you want to achieve in your workout and also what you like to do and what you can do and then balance that all out. You might do a little cardio followed by strength training or you may want to do a lot of cardio and only do strength training on a few in-between days.

I've never heard of StrongLifts 5x5! (again totally new to this entire thing). I'm going to look into it, thank you!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer one free session with a personal trainer to show people how to use the equipment. That would be a great place to start. Once you are more comfortable with being in the gym, you will naturally get motivated to try other things you see in it.

As far as going to the gym alone. I prefer it. That being said, I do see the same people over and over because I always go at the same time in the morning. Some of them say hello... others stick to themselves. There is even one girl in particular that says hi on the floor but we talk a little in the change room when we are getting ready to leave. A gentleman I see every morning without fail occasionally asks me how I am progressing. I'm not saying it is a bad idea to have someone to go with... but don't depend on them to create your motivation. Even if they don't go... get in there anyways.
  • kimhere
    kimhere Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love doing classes if your gym offers them they are a great workouts and it's guided. Feel free to add me :)
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    BodyBuilding.com has programs you can choose based on your goals. You can choose a plan and download the bodyspace app which you can use while you workout. It will tell you what exercise to do, how to do it and tell you what days to rest on.
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going to the gym and being intimated. We all have to start somewhere. Take some headphones and motivational music and just tune everyone else out!
  • Peanut_321
    Peanut_321 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have a workout plan ready! What I do is carry a sample plan that I get from different sites. Oxygen Magazine has some great ones and I have also found some at bodybuilding.com. Just as a few others suggested, finding a trainer or someone at the front desk (depending on what gym you go to. My gym offers a free session of training.) They would be happy to help you get started.

As for going a lone, I prefer it. I don't mind working out with friends but when I have a plan I am ready to get to it. If you prefer to go with someone they must just as motivated as you. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The only reason I go to the gym is to lift. I do some cardio here and there, but only when the weather is too lousy to get outside on my bike.
  • whitxorose
    whitxorose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! This is so encouraging :)
  • fawlty70
    fawlty70 Posts: 22 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I felt the same when I started going to the gym. I soon found out that nobody really cares about you but you though, haha. That's good AND bad.

As others have said, most gyms have free or very inexpensive introduction sessions, take advantage of that. I go to the YMCA and they use a computerized system for exercise suggestions (they even give you the machine number in the facility so zero thinking is involved :)) and tracking which I have found to be very useful: https://www.activtrax.com/

I'm sure there are others similar, with the app it has it makes it super easy to get a decent plan and track your progress (no matter what you choose to do, I'd say that tracking your progress is extremely important in order to stay motivated).

If you just want to do SOMETHING, I'd say just do a trial membership and go and do treadmills or stair machines for a few times and get to see how non-intimidating it is, then try to find out more about other exercise programs. Doing anything is better than nothing. :)

Good luck!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My trick for going alone- 1 just do it! The first couple times are the hardest. 2 nobody knows you! They dont know if your new or youve lost 100lbs already by coming to the gym all the time. (fake it til you make it
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    3 just show up and do whateve youre comfortable with- stationary bike or treadmill. After a few times, youll be comfortable in the new surroundings. Most people are wrapped up in themselves or they may be feeling just like u! I swear i had a mini panic attack the first time! But now i love it and actually enjoy my alone time there. Thats what the gym is for- getting in shape. I always said to myself- would i rather be seen at the gym alone and feeling self conscious or be out in public for another year looking and feeling how i do? And as far as what to do- ask someone up front. People do it every day. You can do this!
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym and learn. Some will look at you funny, others will help. Watch other people, and pick their brains for idea. Get in there and work, own it and before you know it you'll be comfortable in there. It was intimidating for me in the beginning being so big. I drew a lot of stares. Now I'm just another meathead. Good luck.
  • happycpl052
    happycpl052 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people that are in the same shoes that you are so you should not feel intimidated. They all were where you were at one point. Hook up with the personal trainer to begin with and they can give you tips based on what you are trying to achieve. I go alone and quite honestly, due to the time limitations (I go before work) i am too focused on my own workout trying to get the most out of the time there that i can, to worry what others are thinking. Be proud that you are there and taking steps to better yourself. Nobody can judge you badly for that.
  • weedod
    weedod Posts: 2
    Options
    I've just started going to my local gym, it is what is known as techno gym, when you first attend your personal trainer takes your height, weight and blood pressure, he then works out a training programme, puts this programme on a key, you put this key in the machine each time you attend the gym, depending on what you are wanting e.g. weight loss or muscle toning, all in all a really good system. You can alter your training programme manually, but if you increase it to much it "flags up" on your trainers computer.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    For me, the gym works this time round because I mix it up. I started going for the classes - Pilates, which I do weekly - but as I've got more fit I have built up. So now I do a variety of classes, which I recommend you try, as it really does make it more fun - Pilates, yoga and Body Balance (which is a mix of tai-chi, yoga and Pilates to music - it's fab), and just tried Body Combat. I also go on the elliptical and a bit on the stationary bike, do stretches, and am working on my upper body strength with bicep/tricep curls, seated row, etc on the machines. Definitely get a five session induction if they offer that :)