Does drinking fizzy drinks make the tummy/stomach fatter?

Options
OK, not sure if this is silly. But, a family member told me from a young age not to drink lots of fizzy drinks as it will make me have a big tummy permanently.

I don't drink it all the time but do like a diet coke from time to time... So will it cause me to gain tummy fat or not or just a myth?

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like one of those things parents tell kids to scare them into building good habits. Like don't swallow watermelon seeds, or a watermelon will grow in your belly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    No, eating and drinking too many calories does.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Sounds like one of those things parents tell kids to scare them into building good habits. Like don't swallow watermelon seeds, or a watermelon will grow in your belly.

Like swimming after eating lunch :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    They make me burp.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Only if you had gastric bypass or something. Apparently the carbonation can expand a tummy made smaller by surgery.

I drink seltzer like everyday and have no issues
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I believe it's just the gasses from the fizzy drinks themselves that can cause a TEMPORARY bloating appearance, or feeling, for a short time after drinking them. Obviously, if you drink sugary fizzy drinks every day and don't account for their calories, you can become heavier. I say if you enjoy a fizzy drink from time to time, and it fits within your calorie count for the day, why not? Life's too short to deprive ourselves. This site is a wonderful tool to help us learn how to eat and be healthier. I find that for me, no food is off limits, and it's everything in moderation. Otherwise, that forbidden thing simply calls my name and calls it until I overindulge. :-)

That was a good question, by the way!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

It's not true??? GASP

laughsssss (couldn't resist). OP NO, eating too many calories makes our tummies bigger.
  • SofiaofNY
    SofiaofNY Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Actually it is true - all of the carbonation makes you bloat with gas.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Similarly, a "beer belly" isn't caused by beer, it's caused by too many calories. Personally I'm not a huge beer fan, but I have a wine belly and a cookie belly and a pie belly.
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    Oh ccool! thanks :smiley:
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Deanna886 wrote: »
    Actually it is true - all of the carbonation makes you bloat with gas.
    Permanently?

Until someone pokes you with a pin :-p
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    The fructose in HFCS (sweetener used in pop) can be put directly into fat by the liver. The fructose in pop has been shown to increase visceral fat - fat around your organs, leading to that rounded apple-shape - the inflammed liver look.

http://w.banpac.org/pdfs/sfs/2012/ssg_maersk.pdf
    Subjects drinking 1 liter cola a day had more visceral fat develop than those drinking 1 liter of another beverage.

Liver fat and visceral fat (the types encouraged by soda) increase the risk of diabetes (type II), metabolic syndrome, sleep apnea, and vascular disease (heart attacks). In women, the risk of breast cancer and the need for gallbladder surgery increases as well.

Eating in a deficit, exercising, and eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and dairy reduces visceral fat.
  • jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    The fructose in HFCS (sweetener used in pop) can be put directly into fat by the liver. The fructose in pop has been shown to increase visceral fat - fat around your organs, leading to that rounded apple-shape - the inflammed liver look.

http://w.banpac.org/pdfs/sfs/2012/ssg_maersk.pdf
    Subjects drinking 1 liter cola a day had more visceral fat develop than those drinking 1 liter of another beverage.

Liver fat and visceral fat (the types encouraged by soda) increase the risk of diabetes (type II), metabolic syndrome, sleep apnea, and vascular disease (heart attacks). In women, the risk of breast cancer and the need for gallbladder surgery increases as well.

Eating in a deficit, exercising, and eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and dairy reduces visceral fat.
    Interesting, i guess i will keep it as a now and then thing.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ...and be careful crossing your eyes or they will get stuck that way.

...and swallowed gum goes straight to your liver and stays there FOREVER.

...and sugar makes children hyper.

...and stepping on a crack brings dire consequences to your mother.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Only if you had gastric bypass or something. Apparently the carbonation can expand a tummy made smaller by surgery.

I drink seltzer like everyday and have no issues

I heard that recently, I think on that 600 lb life show. The patient was cheating by having diet soda, and that caught my attention that diet soda would be "cheating", but I guess the carbonation expands the stomach temporarily so that greater quantities of food than the surgery is designed for can be eaten in one sitting.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No, heck. The diet soda expands the stomach to overfull and nothing else can be eaten. The danger is malnutrition, not over-eating.

Yes, the carbonation expands the stomach. No danger for a normal stomach that deflates and inflates like a football. Dangerous for a bariatric stomach.

But carbonation does not add to belly fat! The expansion is not permanent!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    No, heck. The diet soda expands the stomach to overfull and nothing else can be eaten. The danger is malnutrition, not over-eating.
    That wasn't the explanation given on the show. The danger of carbonation was overeating, I think the patient either gained weight or didn't lose as expected - not from soda, but from overeating because of cheating with soda.

I just heard this on a program about bypass patients, I guess it's possible the show is wrong.