Mexican Restaurant

Options
Whats the best options to choose at a mexican restaurant? My sister choose this for her birthday....just wondering whats the best (if any) option to choose for dinner.

Replies

• acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I went to a Mexican Restaurant last weekend. I tried to save up some calories before I went so I could eat what I liked without going too far over. I know the chips are high in calories so I only ate two or three. I ordered a chimichanga and enjoyed all of it! I tried to add in the calories as best as I could in my diary. I think if you can save up some calories just enjoy or maybe exercise before going to add up some calories. If all else fails, look at the week and save up a few over several days because in the long run one day isn't going to destroy all your work!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Fajitas. You can control the portion size and the add ons.

I usually have one fajita in the tortilla and then just eat the remaining meat and veggies.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Probably something that isn't deep fried, and is made with something other than beef.
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas instead of flour (just warmed -- not fried). 100 calories for 2 or 3 (vs 100-150 for just one flour). Chicken or shredded pork. Easy on any sour cream. WAAAAY easy on any queso sauce (regular cheese shouldn't be too bad) and easy on the corn chips. Look up beans and rice calories before you go to get an idea for how much you should eat. It's actually surprisingly simple to find meals to fit your calories at a Mexican place. You'll probably eat more than you think, but it's not a big deal if you're mindful and don't eat a giant deep fried bean and rice burrito dipped in queso or something (or just take it east the next couple days if you do!). Enjoy your sister's birthday dinner :)
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Depends on the restaurant but some have the healthier options of grilled chicken, with rice and charro beans. I think if you avoid the deep fried tortilla wrapped foods and the cream sauces and cheese covered items you'll be okay. I know that is everything wonderful and good in Mexican food (my personal fav kind of food). Chicken fajitas are a great option. Just eat the meat and the beans and veggies and skip the sour cream, guac and cheese. The tortilla may or may not be a deal breaker for you. If you must have them but want to be careful the corn tortilla maybe the lesser evil to the flour tortilla. But in moderation it should be fine. Personally it's the chips and queso that are my undoing every time. So I just don't go out for Mexican very often.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I usually get a fajita taco salad and don't eat the shell. Chips and guacamole are a huge weakness but I can't say no. Just portion some out on a plate instead of reaching into the basket over and over
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

I usually have one fajita in the tortilla and then just eat the remaining meat and veggies.

Exactly this.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I lost my sombrero recently, but I'll plow through some carnitas, or caldo de camaron, or sopa de albondigas, or menudo, or pozole. But never the burritos. I don't like 'murican food at my mexican restaurants.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Actually, sour cream isn't really all that high in calories.
  • AcctgChicka83
    AcctgChicka83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I have saved up calories so that I can enjoy some chips and salsa and I will either choose chicken fajitas or chicken fajita taco salad and not eat the shell...

And try not o have over 1 margarita :p ...its been a very stressful week!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

This.