Thyroid..Depression...Weight Gain

Options
I have come to some realizations in the last few weeks and with some additional research am wondering if there are anymore out here like me. People who can relate and encourage.

Several years ago like 13 I had a goiter on the inside of my thyroid they did not know if it was cancer or not so they opted to remove half of my thyroid. At this time I weighed 100lbs and was a very happy go lucky person minus not being able to carry a pregnancy past the first term trimester. I was told at that time that you only needed 1/4 of your thyroid and I would be ok. Little did I know that was not to be the case. It was not cancerous but it is not like you can put it back once it is gone.

I gained 40lbs overnight because the doctor did not immediately put me on medication, remember you only need 1/4 of your thyroid. Well the surgery threw me from hyper to hypo so along with weight gain came depression and anxiety. I will say at times I know I am married to an angel because I would have left but he didn't he stuck it out with me. Over the years I have come to understand that all 3 are directly related but I get so frustrated with trying and fighting to always control them.

If anyone out there has any ideas on ways to help me and others that would be greatly appreciated.

I am tired of always feeling broken.

Replies

• kathrynmac12
    Options
    I am sorry I don't have any advice for you but I as well would like to know what people have to say about this. I have just been told that my thyroid goiters are cancerous and that I will be having my whole thyroid removed soon. I am in the research stage of coping so the more I can learn the better. I have suffered from weight problems, depression and anxiety as well.
  • donaleejohnsen417
    Options
    Kathryn I am so sorry to hear that. The anxiety and depression are hand in hand with the thyroid that I do know for sure. I am praying for you and if you need to talk do not hesitate to contact me.
  • 2015jer
    2015jer Posts: 103
    Options
    I know the feeling! I have an underactive thyroid x I take 100 thyroxine a day x I get easily depressed! And have been anxious for years! You just need to find a way to accept it and smile :) weight gain is a defenet! I went up to 310lb but with a lot of determination I have lost 145 pounds in the past 8 months even though everyone said I'd never lose that much weight with thyroid problems I proves them wrong :) if you ever want to talk, give me a message x
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Donalee, are you not on synthroid or other thyroid med? If not, I would ask the doctor why and get a second opinion. I have my thyroid (for what it is worth, which is not much). I can always tell when mine is out of whack and my meds need adjusted because I have no energy, don't sleep well, slight depression, and extremely dry skin. I have not experienced anxiety. When I first found out I had an under active thyroid 15 years ago, I was put on synthroid 50 mcg. I am now up to 275 mcg. My suggestion is you get on meds, get a second opinion if need be. Have your TSH levels checked every 3 months.
  • donaleejohnsen417
    Options
    Lisa yes I take armour thyroid and they just switched me to Cymbalta for the depression. After the removal of my thyroid Or half of my thyroid to be exact the depression hit me hard and i fought it for years. My problem with the depression is that one of the side effects that gets me is weight gain and low libido. I understand that the depression for me is a lack of the seratonin and that I will have to take meds for ever but I hate that as I fight the weight and see the doctors about my weight I still end up with meds that it is a side effect of. Argh

What I would like to find out is how others have fought and won this battle because there is no way that I am the only one. I want to be whole again and not always have one part that is broke. I do not mind working out or watching what I eat but two or three pounds over night is not normal along with the other things that seem to go along with it.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    No thyroid issue here but do have bouts of depression/anxiety. Just throwing in support to do what you have to so you can balance life and health.

Thoughts and prayers.

Cheers.
  • FitFoodieFla
    FitFoodieFla Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    THERE IS HOPE!

I had a total thyroidectomy five years ago -- removing the remaining half of my thyroid after having had the first half out 20 years ago. Multiple cysts, nodules, a big ole party going on in my neck - benign but a party nonetheless.

I'm here to tell you everyone is different. You may sail through -many do, and I know lots of them!

However, you are likely to have some ups and downs till you get settled on meds that work for you. You have to be well-informed, your own advocate, and vigilant. And you have to stay positive.

The list of possible hypothyroid symptoms is long and overlaps with other conditions (menopause, auto-immune things, etc.) so it can be frustrating and you can easily feel overwhelmed with info and fear. BUT DO NOT GIVE UP!

I have not suffered from depression. I have generally stayed my happy, bouncy self.

However, I do get very tired. I was fine for the first few years but my energy now slumps in the evenings. I've been tested for everything else to no avail (not peri- or menopausal; gut and digestion is okay, etc.). But for whatever reason, it's been hard to stay balanced on meds. (I take them perfectly, know about supplements that impact them, yada yada.)

I have been on Synthroid, then Synthroid plus a compounded/slow release T3, and just didn't feel good or like "me" and was still too tired. So I just this week switched from those to Armour thyroid (natural/dessicated pig's thyroid) to see if that can help my fatigue. I have gained some weight - not a lot - but cannot budge it despite exercise and eating well! So... keeping hopeful.

The things that have helped me TONS are:
    - A progressive endocrinologist, not afraid to work with you and try T3 (as well as traditional T4 drugs) and who's open to Armour/natural thyroid if needed. And who does more than just the TSH test.
    - Additionally, an integrative or functional medicine internal medicine physician who can help manage overall health.
    - Acupuncture and massage work well to help me feel great.
    - Reading Mary Shomon - thyroid patient and advocate - starting with her Thyroid site on About.com and then her books and personal website.
    - Reading Suzy Cohen - pharmacist - thyroid book, makes it all easy to understand and empowers you to know what to ask your doctor(s).
    - Staying positive and realizing people with problems are more likely to be online talking about our challenges - and those who are just peachy with thyroid meds mostly don't share their stories or need the online support! And they're out there.
    - Find your people who can relate but stay positive.

A trainer at my gym has very challenging thyroid issues. She works hard at self-care but looks and feels great. She really inspired me! There are other clients who have had similar or worse problems than I've had with hypothyroidism and they have all found what works for them and feel great now.

BEST OF LUCK! Be well-informed and keep bugging your doctors or finding new ones till you feel listened to and supported.

:wink:
  • VintageMisery514
    VintageMisery514 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some awesome responses, but I wanted to chime in here. I've had thyroid issues for the past 4 years, and for awhile, my Synthroid dosage was being changed almost every single month because my levels were just way out of control. During that period of time, it was impossible to lose weight, and like you, I gained so quickly and easily, no matter what I did. It was frustrating and made me feel hopeless, eating right and working out and still seeing the number go higher and higher. I switched doctors twice before I found one that knew what she was doing, and she pretty quickly got my levels stabilized. Within a month of that, I was down 15 pounds. That was probably a year ago or so, and now I only have to get my bloodwork done every 3 months (instead of every single month, ugh) and my dosage hasn't had to budge since then. So please make sure that you ask questions of your doctor, see different ones if you need to, and never ever ever give up!! It can be controlled, I promise. Hang in there. :)
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've had a brain injury via an accident and sustained damage to my thyroid, pituitary, hypothalamus glands as well as front lobe and temporal lobe damage so know of which you speak. I need thyroxine or can't function. I excersize to combat the depression, anxiety and such. I lost over a hundred too by eating low carb, also feels better.
    You've been given knowledge in this as often skinny ppl judge heavy people as lack of control and or commitment. Not so but the chemicals in our minds have much input into what we look like.
    You are you no matter 40 pounds. Watch what you put in you as with your thyroid not working you can't get away with what you had.
    Sounds like your guy is awesome.
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Also see an endo if you haven't already