Oatmeal and cholesterol?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
Is it broscience that oatmeal can help with cholesterol, or is it actually true?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It's true...also legumes and other soluble fiber sources (fruits with high pectin like apples)...legumes are also a rich source of plant sterols and stanols which are difficult to come by. Basically these things prevent the body from absorbing nutrients, including cholesterol...this is also another reason why you should be getting lots of micro-nutrients in if you're eating a high fiber diet.

Also, get your healthy fats...I swear avocados and almonds are some kind of miracle food when it comes to optimizing health. I also eat a lot of salmon...much of which comes from a can and gets put in various kinds of salads and whatnot.

I also avoid most commercially baked goods and anything that has added trans fats (hydrogenated oils).

That said, keep in mind that many cholesterol issues are hereditary...I have mine under control now with diet and exercise, but these issues are prevalent in my family. I've had to work very hard to get where I'm at now and there's really no guarantee that diet and exercise are going to take care of things forever...but I have my fingers crossed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thanks, but excuse me if I don't really trust a 30yo research study, lol... especially as it involves a 'fat-modified' diet, and it's been proven since that fat doesn't make any difference on cholesterol anyway...
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's true...also legumes and other soluble fiber sources (fruits with high pectin like apples)...legumes are also a rich source of plant sterols and stanols which are difficult to come by. Basically these things prevent the body from absorbing nutrients, including cholesterol...this is also another reason why you should be getting lots of micro-nutrients in if you're eating a high fiber diet.

Also, get your healthy fats...I swear avocados and almonds are some kind of miracle food when it comes to optimizing health. I also eat a lot of salmon...much of which comes from a can and gets put in various kinds of salads and whatnot.

I also avoid most commercially baked goods and anything that has added trans fats (hydrogenated oils).

That said, keep in mind that many cholesterol issues are hereditary...I have mine under control now with diet and exercise, but these issues are prevalent in my family. I've had to work very hard to get where I'm at now and there's really no guarantee that diet and exercise are going to take care of things forever...but I have my fingers crossed.

Oh I know. My doctor told me to eat low fat, which makes me laugh, considering that I was eating maybe 60g a day at the time. My bad cholesterol is higher now than when I was 80 pounds heavier, but my ratio is better. I've been trying to eat more nuts (not gonna lie, mostly in the form of nut butters) too...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thanks, but excuse me if I don't really trust a 30yo research study, lol... especially as it involves a 'fat-modified' diet, and it's been proven since that fat doesn't make any difference on cholesterol anyway...

I think you are mistaken on that. Fats do have an impact, it's just that other things have more of an impact. And why would study results be less valid as time passes?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://ajl.sagepub.com/content/2/1/51.abstract

All too easy to find in Google Scholar. The link between oats and cholesterol reduction is now been tested and verified for over ten years.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    True.

On their way out, some fibers will take along some bile. In order for the body to make more of that bile, it has to use up some cholesterol.