Options
2»

Replies

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Some of it is genetics and some of it is muscle development. If you have a flat-butt you're probably not going to get up to a full-on bubble butt, but that doesn't mean you can't develop it a little. Squats will definitely improve your glutes, but here's the thing... If your glutes are underdeveloped and underactive now, then you probably won't perform the squat correctly and it will be of little value to you; you may need to start with some more basic strength exercises to develop your glues and hamstrings before you proceed. If you can find a Trainer that can do a Kinetic Chain Assessment on you that would be your best bet probably.

squats are one of the most basic strength training moves there is, babies naturally squat with good form. I would start with maybe no weight and a broom stick, but no point trying something else first. to get better at squats, do more squats.

Getting better at squats by doing squats is not always the solution. Yes, most people can squat correctly and yes squatting is a daily occurrence.

I have read many many case studies and prescribed many training programs and can tell you with 100% certainty that not everybody is able to correctly squat (loaded or unloaded) on day 1. It is often more appropriate and responsible of the trainer to prescribe other exercises to improve flexibility and strengthen the glutes, hamstrings, quadratus-lumborum, quads, and core musculature before proceeding to squats. What good are squats if the individual's adductors are overactive either due to other tight muscles or underdeveloped glutes and hamstrings? What good are squats if the individuals quads are overactive and they're not loading the eccentric properly or engaging their glutes properly on the concentric? It's a waste of time and a good way to get somebody hurt.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    How? With a barbell and rack.
    Where? At the gym or somewhere with said barbell and rack.
    When? As much as you want depending on your routine.

As long as you're going to squat, you'd better also be doing a full body routine including the main compound lifts (think starting strength or strong lifts). If you do that, then you will also be deadlifting, which is also pretty good for those glutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Squats will help, but it's not as simple as just doing a bunch of squats.

If you want to develop your butt, get on an actual program/routine designed to do so. Simply doing some squats a few times a week won't get you there.

Go here and do some reading, especially the glutes and hamstrings sections -
    http://bretcontreras.com/about-me/

Also, your diet will matter... don't forget about that piece.

^^^this^^^

also keep in mind that genetics are involved here. If you have a flat booty, it is likely you can improve that condition with some weighted squats and other glute work...but it is doubtful that you will ever have a Jay-lo booty...it doesn't sound like you're genetically inclined for that.