Thyroidectomy?

Options
I will be having this surgery soon. Is there anyone out there that wants to share their experience? Do you find it harder to lose weight now? Thanks

Replies

• bode64
    bode64 Posts: 9
    Options
    I had a total thyroidectomy back in 2003.
    Don't know if this is the reason why I gained weight for sure or not, (as I was a very good couch potato and liked to eat everything in sight) but, since doing the MFP I have been losing weight. I just need to stay active and watch what I eat.
  • want2walknotwaddle
    want2walknotwaddle Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i haven't had this procedure but i have been taking thyroxine since i was 2. I have always struggled with my weight but put this down to the fluctuations in the levels of thyroxine i have had to take, now after finally getting it settled down ( it fluctuates with hormonal imbalances, ie puberty, pregnancy and menopause) i am losing weight well, so you may well have periods of slow metabolism until they balance your post op medication but once thats sorted given an healthy diet and exercise should beable to continue losing weight

all the best x
  • alebalestra
    alebalestra Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had thyroidectomy in 2006, I gain several pounds, but since September 2010, I started to keep a diary with the food that I eat, and I realized that the problem was what I eat. I lost 40 pounds since 2010 and I feel so good!!
  • dennypup
    dennypup Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I've been reading some troubling stories online about the nightmare this can be. It's a relief to hear you are all doing great and able to achieve your goals despite the thyroid issue. I figured I would get a straight answer from you!