Help with what to eat at a Greek/British restaurant

Options
I'm going to be going out with my family later this week to celebrate a birthday, and I'm currently training for a half marathon which will take place 12 weeks time. I'm also focusing on improving my core, and I'm currently on 10.4% body fat and weigh 144lbs at 5 foot 8 (So BMI stands at 21-22).

Are there any recommendations you guys would make from the following menu (you have to go to Page 2 for it)?

leandrarestaurant.co.uk/menu.pdf

My mum has also made a small lemon birthday cake for us to share for afterwards. We may be having starters but not sure of that yet. I usually have had steak or a grill at a family night out before, but am open to experiment any of the Greek dishes as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The link does not work so I looked at the lunch menu.

Generally, at any restaurant, food prepared fried, with cheese, breading, or certain sauces can be a calorie bomb. I might skip the hummus but have some of the yogurt. If you are eating bread, have a little. Order the prawns because they are fairly low in calories.
    You could order any of the roasted meats like the pork with apple sauce and side vegetables or lamb with mint sauce.
    It is a family restaurant, so you can telephone them before you go to ask about the soup of the day and discuss your needs.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Link works for me. I would have the souvla from the Greek Specialities menu. Ask if you can have it with plain rice, if they normally serve it with pillau rice, which will be fattier.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i recommend taramasalata/ houmous with hot pita bread for a starter,followed by lamb kleftico/ veg or beef stifado.
    all standout greek specialities imo.guesstimate 1500 cals approx for 2 courses.
    prawns/ scallops or sea bass easy replecements,but like souvlaki,you get this anytime.
    make the most of the experience and balance it in your weekly macros.
    enjoy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lots of good options there. I'd go with the lamp chops with jacket potato as the side. Yum!

A bit weird that so many menu items are in French though.
  • Wavy1985
    Wavy1985 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys. Lamb seems to be very popular, does it have any nutritional significance in comparison to say chicken or steak? The Kleftico and the three lamb chops options are very appealing to me. And looking at either the Tuna Fish or Hummus as the starter.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go out for Greek, I order the pork or chicken souvlaki. It's marinated in oil but apart from that doesn't have any high calorie additives and if it's made on a decent grill it's very tasty. The stifado is also very good, but higher in calories and fat as it's beef cooked in a sauce made with oil.

As for the English options, I'd go for chicken (either bbq or 1/2 grilled and leave the skin), but I'd go Greek as I love Greek food.

Hummus is a very yummy started but I tend to just eat way too much of it, so I'd go with melon and ham, the tzatziki, Greek salad or tuna.

Enjoy your meal! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wavy1985 wrote: »
    Thank you guys. Lamb seems to be very popular, does it have any nutritional significance in comparison to say chicken or steak? The Kleftico and the three lamb chops options are very appealing to me. And looking at either the Tuna Fish or Hummus as the starter.

I'd go for lamb because I really like the taste, even though it has more calories than chicken, and it's hard to find places that make it (plus it's too expensive to make at home, mostly, when I can even find it in stores).
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Wavy1985 wrote: »

Kleftico will be delicious! :)
    Lamb is much like beef. Depending on the cut, lamb could be fattier or leaner.
  • Wavy1985
    Wavy1985 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.

Just wanted to give you an update. I went to the meal tonight and ended up having the mixed dips (hummus tzatziki and taramasalata) with pitta bread for starters, and the lamb Kleftico (shown in the photo). Really enjoyed it. We ended up having dessert so I chose Eton Mess (merragne and vanilla ice cream) but as they ran out of berries, they put mixed fruit like kiwi fruit instead, I actually preferred that.

I burnt 200 calories on our home cross trainer as well before and had a small chicken salad for lunch. So I think I'll be ok, even if I put on 1-2lbs I'll be happy.

Thank you for all your help on this thread.dpbobyz7hg18.jpg
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    thanks for updating and glad you enjoyed.
    a win for the tinternet.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    'Sweet of you to give us an update. Thanks for the picture. (*)
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Greek food is the best! Glad you had such a delicious dinner.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Good Lord just eat and enjoy. It's one day out of the next 12 weeks.