Protein Powder Does it Really Work or Hype?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure what "hype" you're talking about...it's just a supplement to, you know...help you hit your protein goals.
    DanoMammal wrote: »
    Like others have said, if you are eating nutritiously there isn't really a need for it. There are plenty of more natural (and in my opinion, much healthier and better tasting) sources of protein out there - greek yogurt, nuts, beans, to name a few. If you eat more protein than your body can use it gets stored up anyways.

I'll be doing my 4th Tough Mudder this September and believe me when I say you don't need to 'bulk up' for this event. It's about 85-90% cardio/endurance, with some strength obstacles sprinkled in. Best ways to prepare (IMHO): work on your distance running (think 6 to 9 miles at a time), lots of burpees, and pull-ups. Congrats on signing up!

What is "unhealthy" or "unnatural" about whey? I use a whey isolate, I'd love to know how this is bad for me.

Also, it doesn't get "stored up" unless you are consuming an excess of calories...in which case anything you eat gets stored up.

I would agree that you don't need to supplement if you can hit your protein goals without it...but I think we can skip the fear mongering bull *kitten*.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    It's a food. It's like asking if eating chicken breast works.

I came in here to say the same thing. I hate it when people ask me if my protein powder "works" like it's a steroid or something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's just a liquid food that's high in protein and very convenient if you aren't hitting your protein goal with your regular food - nothing magic about it.

If your friend is "very toned" it's probably because she is about the right weight and does lots of exercise!

this.

(and in my opinion, much healthier and better tasting

you do realize whey is essentially dehydrated milk... so you think milk is unhealthy?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I've just discovered a plant-based protein powder that I really like: https://healthyskoop.com/products/53f51ba6086f140200b25d71 Tastes excellent with just almond milk.

Like others have said, is it a magic bullet to make you stronger, faster, and leaner? Of course not, but if you have a day where you can't get a full meal in post-workout or are lacking protein, it's a lifesaver.

plant protein... it's like jumbo shrimp!!!!
  • IngridGurule91
    IngridGurule91 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love love protein powder I take the Gold standard cookies and cream with 2 bananas and blended with vanilla soy milk for breakfast it's on point. I exercise a lot and it does help me keep toned especially since I don't eat much throughout the day.
  • Lofteren
    Options
    I've just discovered a plant-based protein powder that I really like: https://healthyskoop.com/products/53f51ba6086f140200b25d71 Tastes excellent with just almond milk.

Like others have said, is it a magic bullet to make you stronger, faster, and leaner? Of course not, but if you have a day where you can't get a full meal in post-workout or are lacking protein, it's a lifesaver.

"Muscle biopsies from participants taking whey, casein, or plant based protein powders after intense weighted exercise showed that whey and casein proteins were vastly superior for m-tor signaling and activation as well as intensity and duration of protein synthesis. This leads to the conclusion that whey and casein proteins are nutritionally superior for an athlete who is in search of dietary proteins as a means of recovery and to build muscle mass and strength."
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

"Muscle biopsies from participants taking whey, casein, or plant based protein powders after intense weighted exercise showed that whey and casein proteins were vastly superior for m-tor signaling and activation as well as intensity and duration of protein synthesis. This leads to the conclusion that whey and casein proteins are nutritionally superior for an athlete who is in search of dietary proteins as a means of recovery and to build muscle mass and strength."

I wasn't really looking for a debate; just posting something that I like and that's working for me. :) Whey and casein proteins don't work for some people for a variety of reasons.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have similar thoughts to OP. One of the trainers at the gym insists that we need to eat or drink extra protein after a workout. My calorie goal is on the low side because I'm small, so I almost never meet my protein macros with food. On the other hand, protein powder is a food, too, and you usually have the mix it with something else to be palatable. The one I bought is 120 calories for 2 scoops and if I mix it with milk, I'm now at 200 calories, more if I add a banana, etc. So, basically I would have to cut out a meal or snack to consume a protein shake. Many people believe that somehow these products are "magic" but then stay at the same weight or even gain because they act as if the fact that they are "protein" negates the calories.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I lift and the protein powder helps me reach my total protein goal. I do my best to get it from lean meats, not so lean meats and beans...but I just don't always make it. So...I take a scoop and blend it up.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

I wasn't really looking for a debate; just posting something that I like and that's working for me. :) Whey and casein proteins don't work for some people for a variety of reasons.

It's not really a debate. What Loftren is indicating is just a matter of what's most effective in promoting muscle protein synthesis. If you're buying protein from that site, the only protein worth a darn relative to strength training is the "B | Strong" which claims to have an Amino Acid profile, although it's not displayed. The others are not effective for supporting strength training as they do not contain amino acids, seems like just collagen. Which really is great if you're trying to improve your nails and hair.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I mix a scoop of Jarrow unflavored protein with my unsweetened almond milk and it tastes pretty good -- I usually only use it on days I do strength training but it can be taken anytime to add protein to your diet -- I will probably start using it daily as I usually am short on my protein macros.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    By no means do I view protein shakes as a magic food (there is no such thing). I use it, count it in my calories, and move on.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    By no means do I view protein shakes as a magic food (there is no such thing). I use it, count it in my calories, and move on.

Yes there is, haven't you ever heard of the "Paleo Diet"? Lol
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a supplement taken to get this "supplement your daily protein intake." It is an easy way that if you are low on your protein intake for the day to supplement it to make sure you are hitting your protein macros for the day. That is it.

It comes in many forms, however, you need to understand that this is used as a way to increase protein intake easily and quickly. Not really any hype to it.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    ETA: And you cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time (except for very rare circumstances).

Going to have to disagree here...

• Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I know my husband (letter carrier) drinks protein everyday after work, because he just can't EAT enough protein so that his muscles recover from the 8 hours of walking.

As it is now, he eats til he's tired of chewing, several times a day. He's ALWAYS hungry. It's like having a teenager!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

It's not really a debate. What Loftren is indicating is just a matter of what's most effective in promoting muscle protein synthesis. If you're buying protein from that site, the only protein worth a darn relative to strength training is the "B | Strong" which claims to have an Amino Acid profile, although it's not displayed. The others are not effective for supporting strength training as they do not contain amino acids, seems like just collagen. Which really is great if you're trying to improve your nails and hair.

Well, duh, given that I linked to B-Strong (the only product they even market as protein), I'd say that's the one I was mentioning.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    drepublic wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    ETA: And you cannot lose weight and build muscle at the same time (except for very rare circumstances).

Going to have to disagree here...

But very impractical.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/reducing-body-fat-percentage-by-gaining-muscle-qa.html/
  • Lofteren
    Options

The only reasons they wouldn't work for a person are if the person is allergic, has a digestive disorder, or is a vegan (in which case trying to build muscle is a futile endeavor so optimal protein intake isn't terribly important).
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I prefer to snort mine off of a stripper, but I guess almond milk works too.