How often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• Jeanniekal
    Jeanniekal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost every day but if I am especially bloated or feel I have gained I don't step on the scale for a few days - I avoid bad news! :) I find weighing myself almost daily helps me keep in check.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only log a loss if I have maintained it for 2 days.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Daily. If I don't I rapidly get off track. Sometimes twice a day. I am definitely obsessed with it. I also chart it and track progress against goal and projected weight loss based on average trending. Might sound a bit sick but It's working so I am sticking with it!
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    Daily. If I don't I rapidly get off track.

I do the same but I only log my Friday weighs, whether they are up or down.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but only log a loss if I have maintained it for 2 days.

Similar but I give it about 4 days before I log a loss.

• TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think we get too caught up in the number. I am a firm believer in listening to your body and going by how you feel. weighing yourself too much will drive you crazy and make you obsessed. Personally, I don't think you should weigh yourself any more than once a week.
  • jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I weight once a week, Sunday morning first thing. I measure once a month too.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale, and the last scale I used was at my parents' house, so about twice a year, I hop on their scale. I'm pretty happy with my weight, so I use my clothes as a guide.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    daily. never weighed myself in the past, so it's educational for me to learn about body's weight fluctuations. I'm not sensitive to the numbers so much. my good feeling comes from realizing I've eaten great nutritious food that day.
  • iamburke
    iamburke Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks for all the replies. I think it's important not to lose motivation. For me when I was on WW. If I dieted hard and the scale didn't go down I would feel. It's not fair! I didn't cheat. But it was explained to me that sometimes the scale doesn't go down for some time but if u stick to the diet. Then boom ...it goes down ....it WILL go down even if you feel stuck for a week or two ...so the message is stick to it. Yeah the scale is important and keeps us same.....rewards us....but don't get too happy ! I lost 2.2. On my first week here. BUT w e weekend coming. I can gain it all back quickly....so it's. A life long process to pay attention to what we eat . Please send me a friend request.....this is only week one for me ....I'd love new friends !
  • ericah971
    ericah971 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Daily. I keep track on an app which shows my progress, I like the visual.
  • foreversunshine1
    foreversunshine1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been sneaking a "peek" daily, but to be honest, the fluctuations are a little disheartening. I decided this morning, no more daily peeks, I will only look once a week. Welcome!
  • TiliaIvanovska
    TiliaIvanovska Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Every morning, but sometimes the scale doesn't show your progress. I've noticed big change in my stomach area and lost just 1 kg. We have to keep it up :D (*)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Friday mornings, but I only worry about numbers every couple weeks.
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too -- in the morning when I wake up -- also knowing it can fluctuate by a couple of pounds.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    While at uni, every 2-3 weeks as I don't have a scales. At home, every day. I much prefer weighing every day, keeps me on track a lot better though I'm pretty okay with every few weeks, too. I just get really curious.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They speak rubbish. There is no right and wrong, do what suits you, but understand the pros and cons of each method.

I weigh daily at least. I record in other ways as well, especially gym performance, visual etc. Its just data, but useful.
    I understand about fluctuations and trends.
    I like seeing new numbers. A weight loss encourages me(fluctuations notwithstanding) im on the right track and a gain encourages me to work harder.

The scale motivates me, its a game. Think it would be more boring if I didnt exercise as much. It also prevents any anxiety about not knowing what weight I might be and lets me tackle any weight gains before they get out of hand.
  • maryrose_88
    Options
    I too weigh myself every morning, but I only record my weight on Wednesdays.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and then calculate the exponentially smoothed moving average of my weight, as John Walker explains in The Hacker's Diet. See the chapters on "The Rubber Bag," "Signal and Noise," and "Perfect Weight Forever." Actually, these days I use a WiFi scale and TrendWeight.com to do the calculating for me.

The advantage of using an exponentially smoothed moving average is that it minimizes daily fluctuations. The average only goes up when most of your daily weights are above it, so it provides an early warning if you're actually gaining weight. If most of your daily weights are below the trend line, then you're losing weight.
  • jporter1183
    jporter1183 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Daily, really just to drive myself a bit crazy :smile: But I don't think too much of it, it's more to keep myself in check and see the fluctuations based on what I ate or what exercise I did for the day. Weekly is the one that matters to me.