Does drinking fizzy drinks make the tummy/stomach fatter?

Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Of course, I am talking about my own experience. There is a cheat where the patient eats a meal then washes it in to the bowel with any sort of liquid. I am sure soda would do that too. The patient can then eat the meal all over again.

Drinking soda would eventually stretch out the little tummy so it could take more food at a single sitting. The stomach will gradually stretch out anyways.

Which is why it was emphasized over and over to me that the surgery is a tool. The rest is up to me (you know, CICO).

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jjasmelon wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    The fructose in HFCS (sweetener used in pop) can be put directly into fat by the liver. The fructose in pop has been shown to increase visceral fat - fat around your organs, leading to that rounded apple-shape - the inflammed liver look.

http://w.banpac.org/pdfs/sfs/2012/ssg_maersk.pdf
    Subjects drinking 1 liter cola a day had more visceral fat develop than those drinking 1 liter of another beverage.

Liver fat and visceral fat (the types encouraged by soda) increase the risk of diabetes (type II), metabolic syndrome, sleep apnea, and vascular disease (heart attacks). In women, the risk of breast cancer and the need for gallbladder surgery increases as well.

Eating in a deficit, exercising, and eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and dairy reduces visceral fat.
    Interesting, i guess i will keep it as a now and then thing.

Hey. You're asking about diet soda, yes?

There is no HFCS in diet soda. The paper is not relevant to your question.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    jjasmelon wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    The fructose in HFCS (sweetener used in pop) can be put directly into fat by the liver. The fructose in pop has been shown to increase visceral fat - fat around your organs, leading to that rounded apple-shape - the inflammed liver look.

http://w.banpac.org/pdfs/sfs/2012/ssg_maersk.pdf
    Subjects drinking 1 liter cola a day had more visceral fat develop than those drinking 1 liter of another beverage.

Liver fat and visceral fat (the types encouraged by soda) increase the risk of diabetes (type II), metabolic syndrome, sleep apnea, and vascular disease (heart attacks). In women, the risk of breast cancer and the need for gallbladder surgery increases as well.

Eating in a deficit, exercising, and eating whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and dairy reduces visceral fat.
    Interesting, i guess i will keep it as a now and then thing.

Hey. You're asking about diet soda, yes?

There is no HFCS in diet soda. The paper is not relevant to your question.

Sorry - missed the diet part.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Oh please, not another soda is ebil thread.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mkm85ccStH1qz4rgp_zps47fbcffc.gif

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
  • barby6011
    barby6011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Scares me
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Only if you had gastric bypass or something. Apparently the carbonation can expand a tummy made smaller by surgery.

I drink seltzer like everyday and have no issues

I heard that recently, I think on that 600 lb life show. The patient was cheating by having diet soda, and that caught my attention that diet soda would be "cheating", but I guess the carbonation expands the stomach temporarily so that greater quantities of food than the surgery is designed for can be eaten in one sitting.

YES! It was "My 600lb Life"! Dr Nowzaradan said that in bariatric patients, the carbonation will stretch out the itty bitty pouch that was constructed in surgery, allowing her to eat more than she should be able to. The episode was Zsalynn’s story.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Only if you had gastric bypass or something. Apparently the carbonation can expand a tummy made smaller by surgery.

I drink seltzer like everyday and have no issues

I heard that recently, I think on that 600 lb life show. The patient was cheating by having diet soda, and that caught my attention that diet soda would be "cheating", but I guess the carbonation expands the stomach temporarily so that greater quantities of food than the surgery is designed for can be eaten in one sitting.

YES! It was "My 600lb Life"! Dr Nowzaradan said that in bariatric patients, the carbonation will stretch out the itty bitty pouch that was constructed in surgery, allowing her to eat more than she should be able to. The episode was Zsalynn’s story.

Yes, that was it. Thank you.