::Warning-Kinda Gross:: Question about my stool

Options
Since I have been eating clean all of my stool's have been dark green and liquid. I am using a nutribullet in the morning and adding chia seeds, flax seeds and coconut oil to it. Am I having to much fat? Do I need to be concerned?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tobyhurst wrote: »
    Since I have been eating clean all of my stool's have been dark green and liquid. I am using a nutribullet in the morning and adding chia seeds, flax seeds and coconut oil to it. Am I having to much fat? Do I need to be concerned?

What do you mean by eating clean?
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I googled it for you

Causes of Green Diarrhea

Decreased Bowel Transit Time

Green bile, after excretion from the liver into duodenum, slowly changes to yellow, and then to brown color due to chemical changes performed by normal intestinal bacteria and enzymes. When the bowel content flows through the intestine fast, original bile color does not change, resulting in green or yellow stool. Causes of decreased bowel transit time include:
    ◾Diarrhea – loose bowel movements; there are several causes of loose bowel movements, including food poisoning (giardia and salmonella infection often result in green diarrhea), rotavirus infection, food allergies, lactose intolerance, fructose malabsorption, celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, and so on.
    ◾GERD (Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease
    ◾Thyrotoxicosis - elevated levels of hormone thyroxine in the blood, usually due to autoimmune thyroid disorder (Grave’s disease)
    ◾Impaired gut innervation, common in diabetes

Impaired Bile Re-absorption in the Small Intestine

Bile salts are absorbed into blood mainly from last part of small intestine (terminal ileum). Causes of impaired bile re-absorption are:
    ◾Inflammation of the small intestine, mainly due to Crohn’s disease
    ◾Surgical removal of the terminal ileum

What to Do, If You Have Green Bowel Movements?

Green bowel movements due to ingested food or medication/supplement are normal, and do not require any action. In all other cases, especially if symptoms like fever, diarrhea, constipation, weight loss, or general malaise are present, you should visit a doctor, because a serious underlying disorder may be present.
  • barby6011
    barby6011 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would be green means sick.
  • tobyhurst
    tobyhurst Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Mostly natural, organic foods. Veggies, fruits, meat, quinoa, boiled eggs, protein powder (advocare muscle gain).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    barby6011 wrote: »
    I would be green means sick.

Not necessarily. Try eating a lot of spinach and see what happens to you.

OP, what's in your nutri-bullet shake? It sounds like you just started taking in a lot of fiber that you're not used to all at once.

• tobyhurst
    Options
    Mamapeach:
    Spinach
    Frozen Berries (blue, ras, and straw)
    Protein Powder
    Chia Seeds
    Flax Seeds
    Coconut Oil
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Mostly natural, organic foods. Veggies, fruits, meat, quinoa, boiled eggs, protein powder (advocare muscle gain).

With the veggies, are many of them dark green/leafy? That could definitely be a reason. Are all your stools liquid or just some?

I know- kind of personal questions but if nothing you are eating is green in color (like kale) I'd see your doctor since green stool is typically a symptom of and issue with bile.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Green smoothies cause green pooh especially early on. If your base is spinach, kale, etc. That's probably why.
    Lots of greens can also lead to loose stools.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Spinach and berries can do that. You are probably fine
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Be sure to grind your flax seeds before adding them to your shake/smoothie, otherwise your body does not absorb the nutrients. Chia seeds are fine as-is, though.
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How long have you been drinking these smoothies? If it's been less than a week, it's probably just your body not being used to the new food.

TMI:
    When I started drinking kale smoothies for the first week or so I had stinky farts out the wazoo, and was visiting the restroom multiple times a day. Always green, always more liquid-y than solid. After that week it started being more regular.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Mamapeach:
    Spinach
    Protein Powder
    Chia Seeds
    Flax Seeds
    Coconut Oil

Spinach, chia seeds, and flax seeds with berries? There's your answer right there. That's green and a lot of fiber.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, good for you for washing your veggies. Second, what in there is fat??
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Mamapeach:
    Spinach
    Protein Powder
    Chia Seeds
    Flax Seeds
    Coconut Oil

Spinach, chia seeds, and flax seeds with berries? There's your answer right there. That's green and a lot of fiber.

Not true, I have a smoothie with these ingredients every day and have never experienced what OP has described.
  • jrlarsonus
    jrlarsonus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @sofaking6‌

Wow! You were on top of this thing like nobody's business! Also, I love how your name can be read two ways. It's like one of those famous optical illusion pictures. You are both helpful and nefarious. I want you on my team if I'm ever in a pinch! :smiley:
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    AdieEve wrote: »
    Mamapeach:
    Spinach
    Protein Powder
    Chia Seeds
    Flax Seeds
    Coconut Oil

Not true, I have a smoothie with these ingredients every day and have never experienced what OP has described.

I wouldn't either, but I regularly consume upwards of 50g of fiber a day. If you were used to more fiber and healthy eating, then ... no, you would not have experienced anything. If this was all new to your diet? You'd might have a different story.

Every body responds differently to food, too. Some people tend to, um, process their food very quickly, and for others, it's really slow.

• tobyhurst
    Options
    Thanks for the info. This has been 3 weeks of smoothies and the loose stools. I add two big handfuls of spinach to my smoothie each morning.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fiber theory. Increase fiber gradually. I have a nutra-bullet too. But I do mostly frozen fruit and protein powder. Ease up on it and gradually increase it over a few weeks.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    20121214-204339.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Thanks for the info. This has been 3 weeks of smoothies and the loose stools. I add two big handfuls of spinach to my smoothie each morning.

At the risk of sharing too much TMI myself, I cannot tolerate raw spinach and would have much the same reaction myself any time I'd eat it. Cooked is fine, though. If this continues too much longer, you could try switching it out for another leafy green in case you're having a similar reaction to it.