My first gain - so what did I do wrong

Options
I'm devastated.

I went for a (planned) meal on Saturday and I know I didn't stick to my diet, but I did try to estimate honestly what I ate, I didn't have breakfast beforehand and ate very lightly that evening, but I thought I had been very generous with my estimates. (There are no nutritional values for the independent breakfast bar I went to)

I was at the hospital on Wednesday and ate a chicken curry but it seemed to have very little fat and again I thought I had estimated on the top side.

Apparently, to gain a pound I would have to eat 3500 extra calories. To have underestimated by 7000 calories is ludicrous - I don't understand. I thought that today Honestly, I didn't think for a minute that I wouldn't lose that quarter pound that I need to break my stone barrier: to find a gain, let alone so much, is more than disheartening.

I know that I have not drunk as much water - my work this week has been very stressful and I don't always have easy access to a kitchen. I weigh everything when at home (even fruit, etc) but obviously not when I am out.

I did about as much exercise as I usually do. I'm 55 and don't have a hormonal cycle as such, though I have noticed some fluctuations in the past.

Any idea, advice etc.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sodium. You're retaining water. It's temporary. Have patience.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Sodium. You're retaining water. It's temporary. Have patience.
    This^, it's normal daily fluctuations.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It could be water from increased sodium from your meals out. Weight loss is not linear, you weight is going to bounce around a bit. It's normal.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Weight isn't just fat! You could drink a pint of water and immediately gain a pound of weight.

I'm almost 55 and don't have a hormonal cycle either (obviously!!) but can fluctuate by 3.5lbs in a day.

Advice:
    1/ If you want to understand about normal daily fluctuations weigh yourself daily for a while.
    2/ Relax!
  • wolfruhn
    wolfruhn Posts: 3,025 Member
    Options
    My weight regularly fluctuates up and down by 2-3 pounds (1kg). It's due to water. So now I weigh in over longer periods, as it's the long term trend that is more accurate. Good luck and stay with it :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate up or down 5 lbs in a single day depending on how much water retention you have. Sodium can be a killer on water retention and when you eat out, you just kind of have to assume that you are getting a sodium bomb wrapped in a tasty meal. Curry is often high in sodium. Just go to any restaurant website that has nutritional values listed and see how many dishes have 2000+ mg of sodium.

Long story short, you are most likely retaining water. You did not eat an extra 7k calories in one meal. Drink your water, avoid high sodium foods for a while, and check your weight in a few days.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You worry too much
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Normal fluctuations as already suggested . Don't panic.
  • jporter1183
    jporter1183 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have an indian curry, I always retain water and see a gain on the scale due to the sodium. Don't worry about it. There will be weeks where you will gain and weeks where you will lose. As long as the overall trend is downward, don't stress yourself out.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Yep eating out always makes me gain water weight, it's the salt for sure. Watch your sodium for a couple days and you'll see it disappear soon enough.

My quick fix is a nice hot bath with epsum salts. I feel like it helps to get some of that extra fluid out of my tissues and balance out the sodium levels because of the minerals in the bath salts.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! I always see an increase after I have eaten out. It is water and will be gone shortly.
  • caddir
    caddir Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much. I will take your advice.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    As others have said - weight loss is not linear, esprcially around xmas :D03jdgyssvv6j.png
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Don't stress, enjoy life even if it involves going out to eat once a month :smile: Like others have said, could be sodium or water weight and will come right off once you get back into the groove of things.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can prevent this by being a robot instead of a human.

Biology is beautiful and messy :smile: Take heart as we are all in the same messy boat with you.
  • caddir
    Options
    So don't be a Sheldon, eh? Ah, thank you for restoring my faith. I'm on it!
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Please don't let this get you down. My weight regularly will fluctuate up a pound to a pound and a half and then the next day I will usually be down a couple pounds. For me, it seems to happen on the days I haven't had a bowel movement. tmi I know but for me that seems to cause the fluctuations. It will come back off soon I'm sure.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have a weight but a weight range. For most of us it's somewhere around 3-5 pounds, which can fluctuate up and down within the same day or even hour. It's normal. We're eating food and drinking liquids, which add weight temporarily, and our body digests and processes these and eliminates waste. We can retain water, have excess sodium, have hormonal fluctuations... you name it.

Log and track with an eye towards long-term trends, not short term data points. If it helps, download and use an app like Libra (Android) or Trendweight (iOS), which will smooth out some of those fluctuations and give you a better idea of how your weight is trending over time.

And relax. You didn't gain 2 pounds overnight.
  • caddir
    Options
    I took your advice and weighed myself and today's weight is 2.1lb down. That rate proves what you all said
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    caddir wrote: »
    I took your advice and weighed myself and today's weight is 2.1lb down. That rate proves what you all said

Woohoo!