To my new vegetarian friends - need tips on traveling for business.

Options
Hi guys,

I have a business trip to go on at the end of the month and need to have a plan when I arrive.

Here's what I have been doing - hubby bought me a Magic Bullet for Christmas last year (2013) and I bring that with me. I go to Wal-Mart and get some frozen strawberries, a can of peaches, a can of pears, kale or some kind of green veggie and then in the mornings I grab an apple and an orange from the breakfast bar and go back to the room and make a green smoothie.

Sometimes I get the oatmeal or grits.

Any ideas on how I could get less kale or green veggies = I hate to throw it away but can't bring it back with me on the plane - it would be very funky by the time I got home.

Lunches I usually go with some co-workers - so will have to be on the fly there

Dinner Options are:
  • Sweet Tomato -
  • Chilli's
  • Subway
  • Wendy's
  • Olive Garden

Any suggestions to stay on track at those places?

Sweet tomato is pretty easy - it has a buffet with lots of salads and baked potatoes and soups

Chilli's - I usually get the potato soup or a salad

Subway - veggie delight salad or sandwich

Wendy's - baked potato, chicken salad (minus the chicken) - Are their chili's pre-made or can you ask for chili no meat?

Olive Garden - haven't eaten there yet.

Would love some suggestions.

Business trips are fun but nerve wracking....going solo this time so it should be interesting.
It's Sunday night to Friday evening.

Need to get this down pat as they just changed it from a once a year trip to once a quarter.

Thanks guys!

"C"

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sweet Tomatoes adds/takes away a couple of items each month so you can check on line ahead of time. The salads with mayo or oil have more calories that you would expect and a few have stuff like bacon. The creamy soups have lots of calories but that is fine as long as you are aware.
    Chili's --here is their vegetarian menu:
    http://www.chilis.com/EN/LocationSpecificPDF/MenuPDF/001.005.0000/Chilis Vegetarian Menu Generic.pdf?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
    Wendy's chili comes with meat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Chili at Wendy's has meat, I get the baked potatoes instead. (They have a loaded one with broccoli and cheese that is pretty incredible.)

Olive Garden has a vegetarian vegetable marinara on pasta, for around 500 calories. The breadsticks are 150 cals each if I recall. I usually skip the breadsticks in favor of a glass of wine.

I don't do green smoothies, so I'm no help there, but maybe bring along some quest bars/other protien bar to help get some protien and fiber in, especially when your options are limited.

Drink lots of water to help with all that resturaunt food sodium bloat.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    All the big chains post nutritional info, and most of its available on mfp as well. Easy to track.
  • Healthylinda66
    Healthylinda66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Join Happy Cow.com. There is a mobile app as well. You can log into the area you will be traveling for Healthy Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurants. I recently planned a 2 week trip using Happy Cow and found many awesome restaurants that I would not have known about.
  • EverythingCubbies
    EverythingCubbies Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I would get some veggies (already cut) and a bean hummus to munch on before you go out to eat.

Wendy's potato is good, I get the plain one and just add s&p. If chick-fil-a is an option, they have a market salad (without chicken) that is good and they have good fruit cups, makes a nice filling meal.

I don't eat at the other places mentioned but most places will do steamed veggies for you.

Good luck and have fun!!
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!