Olive Oil Alternatives?

Options
Hey there...

most everything I cook starts with olive oil, garlic, and onions. I also use olive oil for raw foods like salads and dressings so its hard to escape. I dont use too much (just 1 table spoon) but the small portions I do use add 14g of fat and 130 calories to my meals. I'm aware of the healthy benefits of the mono unsaturated fat that olive oil contains but I'm really trying to cut back on excess calorie and fat intake and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a lighter alternative?

thanks!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Use a little less olive oil. I would suggest sticking with it, as it is a healthy oil but reduce the portions. Just fit it into your daily calorie budget.
  • vw8dst
    vw8dst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. never realized b4 that my olive oil was 120 calories for ONE tablespoon. Ugh, I started using this olive oil spray (0 calories) for cooking food and only 1/2 tablespoon for my salad if any at all...
  • Clarity22
    Clarity22 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've been trying to reduce. Its nearly impossible to saute up garlic and veggies with anything less than a tbsp. haha...I've even experimented with using avacado to see if it would desolve like butter. no dice. But I did discover that hot avocado tastes amazing.
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Maybe Flaxseed Oil?
  • Clarity22
    Options
    whats the spray called? although, I'm leery of anything that 'sprays' or has 0 calories...
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If I'm cooking just for myself and sauteeing onions, garlic etc. I rarely use more than 1-1 1/2 tsp olive oil, so maybe try cutting back a little. Also, I don't cook that way as often anymore. I grill and bake and broil more.

Another brilliant thing that I love for salads and flavoring on veggies to cut down on the olive oil, is the Misto (I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond). It's a spray can that mists the olive oil (or you can use for balsamic, etc.) and you refill it. It's such a fine spray and I am guessing uses even under a 1/4 tsp olive oil. I will often give my salads two sprays. I sometimes even spray the pan when sauteeing mushrooms and it's enough. I even make my own sweet potato fries using the Misto instead of dousing with olive oil before I bake them. Very worth it. I've had it for a few years, but it's a great way to substantially cut down.

As much as I love more olive oil on my salads I've given it up, and use things like 1 tbsp Trader Joe's Light Champagne Vinaigrette mixed with 1 tbsp fat free greek yogurt, really delish!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Cooking spray for cooking when possible (I know, sometimes you need enough to saute the garlic and onion, but you can use less).

Cut out dressings or dips whenever you can. On sandwiches, use just mustard. More flavor and no calories. Use less salad dressing too (it's a matter of training your tastes to be happy with less. Add more flavorful veggies instead). Even though olive oil is better for you than many other oils, it is still a fat, and has to be taken in moderation.
  • Clarity22
    Options
    yes! I've seen that MISTO. That might be worth a shot.
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Btw, if you steam or saute veggies in water first to soften a little you don't need as much olive oil. That way you're using it as a flavoring and not to cook them in. It adds a process, but saves calories and fat. Once you've got it down it doesn't take long either in a good non-stick skillet...
  • swissmardi
    swissmardi Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of steaming... Or instead of oil, I'll put water with a bit of bouillon and herbs in it and cook up my veggies and meat. I LOVE the taste and it saves on fat...
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    You can fry onions with water rather than oil, they'll soften up perfectly well that way :) Or, if you're not vegetarian, you could do meat first, which would give you juices to cook the veggies with?
  • _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My friend just showed me today Extra Light Tasting Olive Oil spray. It's not in an aerosol can or whatever, it's just a regular pump spray. It has 0 calories. Maybe you could try that? And it's nothing sketchy, it's just straight up 100% olive oil.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Where possible I dry fry onions...after a minute they sweat out their own juices. Most of the meals I cook start with onion dry fried or even started with a drop of water. (if i'm in a hurry)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately with most boulions, you are adding 900 mgs of Sodium per cube....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have fry light and it just doesn't do the job. I would stick with olive oil, but cut the amount. I use a teaspoon for frying onions and garlic. Olive oil is ok for you, it's not saturated fat.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I use organic virgin coconut oil on occasion. The body processes it better than animal fats and is proving to be better for you than previously thought. (It was recommended to me by my naturalpath.) http://bit.ly/kqtUxH

Chef Marcus Samuelson also has a blog that is very helpful. He post lots of delicious recipes. He has suggested rice bran oil http://bit.ly/l55CQQ

I also came across this list of top 5 healthy oils. (olive, canola, rice bran, sesame & peanut)
    http://www.brighthub.com/health/diet-nutrition/articles/36952.aspx

FYI: While I do watch my fat, if it's a healthy fat, I don't flip out about it.While I tend to use water to soften my onions & garlic, I regularly use olive oil when I make my salad dressings. I would pick what oils you like and plane my daily meals around that.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I use around 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil for sautéing vegetables as you are describing. I don’t have any issues with taste or with the veggies sticking to the pan. However, I do have a good set of non-stick pans from Pampered Chef and allow me to cook with very little oil. If you do have non-stick pans I would not recommend cooking spray, as it will leave a gummy residue on your pans.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I use a mister (like the Misto, but it's a Pampered Chef one) or sodium free bouillion.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just throw mine in a good non-stick pan without oil or spray of any kind. Never had any problems. The only time I put anything in the pan first is a teeny spray of a store brand cooking spray if I'm making eggs. But I've even done eggs without anything in the pan and they come out just fine.

The onions in this pic were cooked with nothing else in the pan: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfchild59/5392223068/in/set-72157625743758624