Time of the month...woman post.

Options
I was wondering, how much do you gain when on your period? My period is about a week away, I'm supposed to weigh in tomorrow but today I woke up so bloated, and have continued to stay bloated all day, not sure why, I am thinking of not weighing in tomorrow because i might be disheartened by the scales going up.

How long does it take to drop the few pounds of water weight you get during your period? Should I just wait until after my period to weigh myself again?

I was 139 on Saturday

Replies

• jazzy1129
    jazzy1129 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I normally gain 2-3 lbs the week before I start, but lose that by the time it is finished plus some... I have gotten to where during that time frame, I dont weigh until afterwards because I still find it discouraging.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you stay bloated during your TOM but it can be days for me. It seems pointless to weigh yourself when there are things going on in your body that you can't control. My stomach will get so big and bloaty and I just feel disgusting! It can be 2-3 lb difference. My suggestion is to skip your weigh in (or weigh yourself but don't log it) until the following week. You don't want to discourage yourself, especially when it's due to TOM where you can't control it at all.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i usually gain 3-5 lbs the week before my period mainly from water and carbo-loading. then during my period i end up losing it.
  • snowbaby1492
    Options
    mine makes me gain 10 pounds and it doesn't shed for about three days after my period is up.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Last time I weighed during my period I had gained about 5/6lbs. Lost it all again within about 5 days :)
    If you know that you are likely to have gained weight through the bloating I would not weigh until it's over - alot less disheartening that way.
  • maillekelly
    maillekelly Posts: 132
    Options
    Thank you guys :") I will wait until about 3 days after the awful thing has gone away!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh in, just wait till the bloating is over. No need to discourage yourself.
  • flyingspatulas
    flyingspatulas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 2 or 3 lbs the first day and hold on to it for about a week before it disappears. It's annoying, but at least I know there's a good reason for it. ;)
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Sometimes Pamprin over the counter medicine keeps me from retaining as much bloating and water weight! I usually get 1-2 pounds before period but gone when period is over! I hope this helps!
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely 3 or more lbs can be gained. I'd wait until you stop or almost at the end. The other thing you might try is drinking a lot of water the week before to help ward off so much bloat =)
  • Raven00
    Raven00 Posts: 67
    Options
    For me it depends on how heavy my flow is. But ussually its 3pounds, that I gain and then when its over sometimes I have lost a pound due to being so bloated and not wanting to eat
  • caitie88
    caitie88 Posts: 19
    Options
    I used to gain 3-5lbs during TOM but since I've changed my diet and added exercise it maybe gets to 3lbs now....I find exercise really helps control my bloating and it decreases days faster than before. I still weigh myself but i dont record the weight until I see it back to normal.