Confused about calories in/out

Options
I am really confused about how the calories are calculated. How is your BMR calculated through MFP ? I don't understand how it is all different from my vivofit. EG MFP says consumed 911, active 154 & net (BMR) is 757 but my vivofit calories are 1276. I just don't get it. Can someone please explain.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is not your net. It does not change day to day based on what you eat and how much you exercise. It's your basal metabolic rate -- the energy your body needs everyday to sustain bodily functions at rest -- breathing, heart beating, keeping all your cells alive, etc. MFP calculates it using an algorithm that takes into account factors like your weight, height, age, and gender (although I believe weight has the greatest effect), based on information you provide. Your vivofit, I assume, is a heart-rate monitor. I would assume the 1276 is probably the calories it estimates you have burned for the day while you were wearing it, based on your heart rate and information that you have put into the vivofit, such as your weight.
  • penwithlass
    penwithlass Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best calculation I know is the Harris-Benedict equation . Bit complicated to repeat here but if u google it and do the math I hope it will help u x best of luck xxxxx
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,803 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A couple of terms for you: TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure - all the calories you burn in a day, whether you're awake or not. BMR, as lynn said, is the bare minimum calories your body needs to survive if you were in a coma. Do a Google search for "scooby calculator" and put in your numbers. Your TDEE and BMR are based on your height, weight, and activity level. You should be eating somewhere between those two numbers in order to lose weight the healthy way.

Are you logging your foods and drinks accurately here on MFP? If yes, your gross and net calorie intake on MFP is far, far too low. The consumed number implies you only ate 911 calories throughout the entire day - probably well under your BMR to begin with. Then you exercised, so you got a net of 750. Try to read up on some of the sticky posts at the top of the sections - you'll learn a lot about how to track, what to track, and what all these acronyms mean. :)
  • Hattink
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for your help. The calories of 911 was at the time of sending my post so my day hadn't been completed. So if MFP calculates my BMR, where do I find their calculation on the website ?
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Even though I wasn't looking for this information, it was very helpful/insightful. Thanks y'all, for sharing your knowledge in an easy-to-understand way! :smile: