Over Today; Eat Less Tomorrow?

Options
if I went over today and I eat less tomorrow will that make up for it?

Replies

• missmeakin123
    Options
    How much did you go over by?? I find generally, I do, partly because I feel bad but if it's not much I say just draw a line under it and try not to do it all the time.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I try to do the same thing. It does sort of help me. I'm just not sure if helps more mentally or what.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I went over by 466 calories. It's so easy to do! Not giving up though!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jazzy550 wrote: »

Look at a weekly average of calories. You could spread the 400 calories over 4 days and eat 100 calories under each day. That way you don't feel as deprived. Or, if you're full after eating 400 calories less than normal, that's fine too.

But, in the long run, 400 calories over one day won't change much; you can just eat normally and move on. It's kind of up to you, how hungry you are, and how much energy you have. If you're doing it consistently, make sure your calories are sufficient, and you would probably need to compensate.
  • jazzy550
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    jazzy550 wrote: »

Look at a weekly average of calories. You could spread the 400 calories over 4 days and eat 100 calories under each day. That way you don't feel as deprived. Or, if you're full after eating 400 calories less than normal, that's fine too.

But, in the long run, 400 calories over one day won't change much; you can just eat normally and move on. It's kind of up to you, how hungry you are, and how much energy you have. If you're doing it consistently, make sure your calories are sufficient, and you would probably need to compensate.

Thanks Auddii! It's my first week; kinda still releasing bad habits. I weigh myself on Tuesday so I have time to make it up.
  • LorettaB1967
    LorettaB1967 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Is anyone on the 20 carbs a day?
  • jazzy550
    Options
    Is anyone on the 20 carbs a day?

Loretta,

My carb allotment is much higher than that; I am not on a low carb plan. Just counting calories and trying to eat sensibly.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. Log it and move on. If you decide to make it up, don't do it in one day. Keep up the good work.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can go for a long late night walk or climb stairs for 30 mins at home in your PJs if you're over for the day. I like to eat so I've done both many times. As long as you're not over by 400+ calories on a regular basis then you should be fine. You can make up for it on the other days of the week. It's your weekly amount that you want to make sure you're not over.
  • jazzy550
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I so skip a meal so the average is where I want it. Some days I get a run/walk to make up for some of it.

If you are just starting out, be patient. You are still learning.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on!
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some good responses here. I just wanted to say Welcome to the boards!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    In the first couple of weeks, don't stress too much about getting the calorie counts exactly right. Just log what you actually eat, and focus on learning how to log it properly. It's daunting at the beginning: So many database entries to choose from (most of which are inaccurate), not really knowing portion sizes, not having all your recipes and meals conveniently stored.

You'll start to see patterns after the first couple of weeks, and you can start adjusting your food intake like a jigsaw puzzle. It does get easier.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If I go over I try to make up for it during the week by eating under here and there. I take more notice of my weekly deficit.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I take more notice of my weekly deficit.

Same here. Tracking your calories daily is important but if you slip up and go over on a day, it's not a deal breaker. If you're set up to lose 1lb a week, as long as you're 3,500 calories under for that week, you'll lose 1lb.
  • misskarihari
    misskarihari Posts: 104 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If you find it difficult to stay under your daily calorie limit, perhaps raise your limit and lose the weight slower... :) It works for me, eat around 1800cals a day and lose about 1 lbs a week instead of 1500cals and 2 lbs loss a week. Since you only have 22lbs to lose it might be fine to take a bite more time.
  • pinkshoelaces
    pinkshoelaces Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do this sometimes but I find it's really not the best idea because it then starts becoming an almost every day thing. For example, I overeat by 600 calories one day causing me to eat 600 calories less the next day; but because this has me feeling really hungry by the end of the day, I end up over eating again and the cycle continues.

I find it best just to deal with the 'bad' day and start again the next. It lessens the likelihood of continued over eating. It's not to say it's an inherently bad thing to do, I think it just requires a lot of will power to eat under that day and not totally go crazy again the next.
  • embee2301
    embee2301 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day. :) get up and move forward making good decisions. You got this!
  • jazzy550
    Options
    Holla4mom wrote: »
    You've gotten some good responses here. I just wanted to say Welcome to the boards!

yes, I agree Holla! Thanks! Today's a new day, towards a new me! ;)