Curry Question

Would American Chili, being essentially ground beef, tomato paste and chili powder, constitute a type of beef curry? If not, what puts it outside of that category?

Replies

• SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    The word "curry" seems to be derived from the word "kari" meaning a sauce for rice. Chili is usually eaten as a standalone stew. Also, most curries will use spices like curry powder, garam massala, turmeric, anise, and the like. So I'm going to say that Chili constitutes a beef stew rather than a curry.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Curry spices differ according to what type of curry you are making.

Some will involve more use of coriander or cumin, others tamarind or cardamom or cloves.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    I think the curry traditionally comes from the countries of southern and south-east Asia, and is all about the blend of spices rather than just straight chilli.

If an American chilli includes spices other than chilli then I reckon it therefore qualifies as a curry.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    rumour has it that we eat more curry in the UK than they do in India so I'm qualified to answer :)

- beef isn't really used in curry, lamb provides the red meat option, otherwise it's mainly chicken or prawns (shrimp)

and, chilli is just that, ground chilli's to provide the spice, curry spices are blended, cumin, turmeric, fenugreek, garam masala and others, when you get used to using them you can adjust the blend to suit your taste, and of course you can add chilli powder to really spice it up if you enjoy that

I love both; the closest curry I make to chilli is called keema peas, lamb mince, tomatoes, spiced up before the peas are added, delicious, i call it an Indian 'shepherds pie' :)
  • HappyGladGal
    HappyGladGal Posts: 21 Member
    Different curries uses different spices.. Eg. There are chicken curry, fish curry, vegetable curry. For some, either coconut milk or yoghurt are added into the curry. I use a combi of both.
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    The word "curry" seems to be derived from the word "kari" meaning a sauce for rice. Chili is usually eaten as a standalone stew. Also, most curries will use spices like curry powder, garam massala, turmeric, anise, and the like. So I'm going to say that Chili constitutes a beef stew rather than a curry.

In the UK, most people eat chili over rice, though I refuse to allow them to eat my Texas chili that way.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    So how do you Americans eat your chilli then? Just on its own?

I tend to eat mine either with rice or with nachos. But then I'm Australian so have an excuse not to know better!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,299 Member
    If you watch the Rick Stein in India tv episodes (made me so hungry just watching them!) it appears that curry is an entirely 'British' word dating back to the British Empire and made up to categorise all types of indian food - and the locals hated that everything gets labelled curry. So I would guess not - it is more simply a beef chilli. Sounds nice!
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member

I tend to eat mine either with rice or with nachos. But then I'm Australian so have an excuse not to know better!

We eat it straight, on nachos, fries, hot dogs, burgers, or dip bread in it. Or eat it in a bowl made of bread!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    If you watch the Rick Stein in India tv episodes (made me so hungry just watching them!) it appears that curry is an entirely 'British' word dating back to the British Empire and made up to categorise all types of indian food - and the locals hated that everything gets labelled curry. So I would guess not - it is more simply a beef chilli. Sounds nice!

Thank you! We do hate it :). "Curry" just means any dish with gravy/sauce, it doesn't mean all Indian food or any dish with curry powder (another invention of the Brits, Indians do not use curry powder!). So no, chili is just a stew or soup. I usually eat chili alone or on spaghetti.
    beef isn't really used in curry, lamb provides the red meat option

It depends, you don't usually find beef in Indian food because most Indians are Hindu - my family isn't, we make things like (beef) kofta curry, keema matter (its dry, so not a curry) etc.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

Most Americans put their chili in an empty bowl. Some will eat it with tortilla chips (or tortilla "crisps" to Brits?? -- the things you use to make nachos). Traditionally, truck-stops, diners, and cafeterias served it with saltine crackers. When I was growing up, we almost always had cornbread with it (cornbread is made from ground corn leavened with baking powder and/or baking soda, egg, maybe a little buttermilk, salt,and sometimes a noticeable amount of sugar, and cooked in a flat pan, not a loaf pan, and some people insist it must be cooked in preheated cast iron). Shredded cheese and chopped onions are traditional toppings.

Some Americans serve their chili over spaghetti. This is especially associated with "Cincinnati-style" chili.

There was a post above that seemed to suggest that ground chilies are the only spice used in the dish chili. Almost all chili in the U.S. will contain cumin, and oregano is pretty common too (oregano is a component of most commercial "chili powders").

Edited to fix typos.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Would American Chili, being essentially ground beef, tomato paste and chili powder, constitute a type of beef curry? If not, what puts it outside of that category?

Also, there are places in the U.S. where the idea of ground beef (as opposed to cubed steak or beef roast) would get you dirty looks, to say the least. And I would say whole tomatoes (canned, usually) are used more often than tomato paste. Unless "American Chili" is a reference to the dish as it is prepared somewhere outside the U.S.?

I'm a little afraid to mention the beans v. no-beans debate.
  • littleknownblogger
    littleknownblogger Posts: 67 Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone, this has been very educational!
  • quilt938
    quilt938 Posts: 57 Member
    we always ate chili with crackers (saltines) and my dad liked to have onion and a hunk of 'rat cheese' (cheddar but he called it rat cheese)
  • iamnotvoldemort
    iamnotvoldemort Posts: 56 Member

If it's red chili: in a bowl, topped with sour cream and a bit of cheddar. I make a couple of varieties (white chicken and turkey pumpkin black bean) and I normally eat those plain. If I'm making it for a large group, I provide sour cream, cheese, onions, tortilla chips, and sliced jalapeños for toppings. Chili is an easy low carb meal for me, so I don't often do chili mac/spaghetti, but I do like it.

I had a friend who grew up topping his chili with sugar. Plain white sugar. It's ... interesting for a few bites but not my thing.
    Some Americans serve their chili over spaghetti. This is especially associated with "Cincinnati-style" chili.

The addition of pasta isn't Cincinnati chili though. Cincinnati chili is its own regional thing from the spices. Their chili flavors include cinnamon, clove, allspice and sometimes chocolate.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    In the US Texas chili is the standard. Meat, usually beef, and chili powder, usually ground chili peppers and cumin. Some other items can be added, but Texans never add beans. The idea of Cincinnati chili, or some of these others from the eastern US turns my stomach. Really good Mexican chili (the original) is made with green chilis and pork. Eaten with corn tortillas, NOT tortilla chips, you have a real meal! Chili is eaten from a bowl and NEVER over rice. Curry goes over rice.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    diegops1 wrote: »
    In the US Texas chili is the standard. Meat, usually beef, and chili powder, usually ground chili peppers and cumin. Some other items can be added, but Texans never add beans. The idea of Cincinnati chili, or some of these others from the eastern US turns my stomach. Really good Mexican chili (the original) is made with green chilis and pork. Eaten with corn tortillas, NOT tortilla chips, you have a real meal! Chili is eaten from a bowl and NEVER over rice. Curry goes over rice.

Not in ALL of the US ;) In Wisconsin, there is a conglomeration of "Texas" chili served "Cincinatti" style. Meat only chili served over spaghetti (to those in the UK, similar to a Spag Bolognese, but different seasoning). Myself, I prefer pork or turkey or chicken vs. beef, and YES to the beans, served with tortillas.

To the original question, I think an argument can be made that what Americans (generally) consider "chili" is more similar to a ragu or Bolognese than curry (pasta or other starch optional). But with so many regional and cultural variations on what is considered "chili", I don't think it's valid to categorize US chili as anything other than its own food.