Are Apple shaped people doomed??

Options
Hi everyone!

I am feeling really down right now. I've lost 7lbs since start if jan, doing well. I measured myself as well and I have lost 3cm off both my hips and my waist. All good you would think but it means my hip to waist ratio is the same, I'm still at risk of diabetes and heart disease. Because I'm an apple I feel like I'm doomed to always be at risk. Does anyone else feel like this? It is possible that eventually I'll have a healthy hip to waist ratio?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

Replies

• hgwill78
    hgwill78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple an no you are not doomed but it will take some time and patience. I've lost 73 pounds and it's coming off my tummy last. I have learned I'll have to be a very low body fat percentage to have a flat tummy. It's a bummer but it can be done! Just trust the process and stay consistent!
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this about six-seven months. I have lost 4 inches off my chest and about the same off my hips. Only 1 inch off my waist (!). I am so frustrated but I just noticed last week that it is finally starting to come off. Just keep at it. You are decreasing your risk with a healthy diet and exercise.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Another apple shaped here as well. It is a PITA for sure.

Right now I am sitting at 37" around my gut and according to BMI, I am not "overweight" although I look it.

AB work helps pull those muscles tighter. I am not going to lie, it takes long term dedication to lose those inches. Blah... :s
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is way too early in the game to be feeling like this. Be patient and accept that this is going to be a lifelong endeavor. I've been at this for over a year now and have accepted that it's just going to take time and patience and, yes, a lower weight or body fat than I'd hoped, to lose the middle.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am feeling really down right now. I've lost 7lbs since start if jan, doing well. I measured myself as well and I have lost 3cm off both my hips and my waist. All good you would think but it means my hip to waist ratio is the same, I'm still at risk of diabetes and heart disease. Because I'm an apple I feel like I'm doomed to always be at risk. Does anyone else feel like this? It is possible that eventually I'll have a healthy hip to waist ratio?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere.

I started in October with an apple shape. My waist measurement is now smaller than my hip measurement. My hips will probably not get much smaller but my waist is slowly getting smaller. My waist to hip ratio is getter better every month. I would think more like a minimum of 6 months to a full year to get to the healthy ratio depending on how far off you are to begin with. You aren't doomed. Be patient and keep at it. You are doing well.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    7lbs is just the start. Toning while dieting is the best way for the tummy fats
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    No, you aren't doomed. It will eventually come off your middle. However, your hip and waist ratio may not ever be what is recommended, because some people just aren't shaped that way regardless of fat--that's why there are lots of measurements to look at, like BMI, body fat percentage, and waist to height. My waist to hip ratio probably would still indicate a risk factor (I forget what the ratio is supposed to be) and I do fine on the other tests and can wear a size 2 jeans (in fact, I can do that because I have narrow hips and thus the ratio problem). But what all of these tests mainly are is a signifier that you might be at greater risk to have visceral fat (fat around your organs). They don't mean that anyone who "fails" does. If you are still concerned when you would otherwise think you were at goal, you could have something like a DXA scan, which will show you if you have visceral fat to be concerned about.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I'm an apple. A few years ago I had an ultrasound done where the technician kept asking me to take deep breaths so my lungs would push down my organs. I'm lying there, holding my breath, wondering "what is pushing them up"? I'd had a uterine fibroid at one time, has it grown out of control? I only realized recently (years later) that it was my visceral fat that was pushing my organs up! Ugh.

Personally I'm not too worried about ratios. I am what I am. My job is just to reduce fat while preserving LBM. Best me I can be.
  • Malteaster
    Malteaster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hope not. It doesn't seem fair that holding weight on your belly also makes you look fatter than if you carry it all over or on your hips but it is also worse for your health.
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Stuck to it yesterday and feeling a little better. I'm about 1st from a healthy BMI (Middle of the range for my height) but a whole 19cm off a healthy waist size! Just seems so unachievable! But like you say, just have to be as healthy as I can and it's not a sign of failure, although that's how it feels! Keeping on it. Thank you everyone for the support!