Shaky & headaches

Options
On my 2nd week and getting mild headaches some shakiness before/after breakfast and before lunch

Usually just have a protein smoothie for brkfst. Cant eat eggs :(. Sensitive to breads and similar (really affect my weight in a negative way even small amounts)

Any recommendations?

Replies

• nelsonab
    nelsonab Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have a small snack in between. I find myself to get that way too so I space my days worth of calories over 6 meals eaten every 2-3 hours. There's no weight loss science to it, but it does help me not get headahces or dizzy.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Have you had your blood sugar tested recently? I tend to experience similar symptoms when I'm experiencing hypoglycemia associated with my diabetes (hypoglycemia being a blood sugar less than 70mg/dL), and it might be possible that you are hypoglycemic (though don't take my advice as a doctor's advice. I know squat compared to a doctor.)
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 7 (eggs and toast) and snack at 10 (protein bar). I work out in the morning. I used to not eat toast but I notice it helps me feel fuller longer.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat a snack. It could also be withdrawl from sugar/caffiene/processed foods.
  • teedub63
    teedub63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Last blood sugar test was normal (about 2 mths ago) I'm not diabetic.

I love eggs and toast but they don't like me.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Beans help me control my blood sugar levels. I used to get low blood sugar and the shakes if I didn't eat often. now I just feel hungry if I don't eat but I don't have the shakes or any panicky feeling that I need to eat NOW. A couple non-egg breakfasts that work great for me are two pieces of whole grain toast with half and avocado spread on it. Add some salt and pepper and some tomatoes if you like. Also, another is whole grain toast with some hummus spread on it. Very satisfying and will help keep blood sugar stabilized. You can always skip the bread if you don't like it and instead use vegetables or something like that with the hummus.

Your headaches could also be caused by not eating enough carbs? When I first started I was doing way too few carbs and I would get headaches. Just a thought. But since you mentioned the shakes, I am guessing it's more to do with low blood sugar.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're drinking plenty of water, too.
    Too few carbs? Yesterday I had a total of 7 carbs. On a normal day, I'll have 18 or less...
    Avocado is great, though. I do recommend it. Good healthy fats, and tasty to boot!

-T.
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking either blood sugar drop or electrolytes out of wack. I would suggest talking to your doctor, rather than getting advice from us.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking either blood sugar drop or electrolytes out of wack. I would suggest talking to your doctor, rather than getting advice from us.
    I would echo twinteensmom's thought of looking into things more professionally if you're confident that your data entries into the app are correct (like not underestimating your activity levels to slew caloric requirements extra low, etc)...

Beans and other slow carbs (as coueswhitetail posts) are handy to keep energy and sugar-levels in check. Also, consider your protein sources, and look for something to help avoid catabolism. For me the 'fix' for those morning hunger headaches was to insert a fat-free cottage cheese snack roughly 90-minutes prior to bedtime, and if I had calories remaining for the day a bit of low-fat milk just prior to sleep. For me, the casein protein from the milk products did the trick entirely.

This may just be a time between nutrients, but professional insight would always be preferred over self-experimentation and pain.
  • teedub63
    teedub63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate your replies. Ive added a snack and am feeling better. Plus lost another 2 lbs last week (thats my goal/wk) yippee!
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    2 lbs./week weight loss is an aggressive goal if you are not Obese (www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator). If you have trouble with shakes, headaches, or lightheadedness again, I'd try scaling back to 1 lb. a week. There's a handy dandy chart around here somewhere that perhaps someone will post on how much to lose per week based on total goal loss. Update: Here's the chart.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs.? Set to lose 2 lbs. range.
    Between 40 - 75 lbs.? Set to lose 1.5 lb. range.
    Between 25-40 lbs.? Set to lose 1 lb. range.
    Between 15-25 lbs.? Set to lose 1 -.50 lb. range.
    Less than 15 lbs.? Set to lose 0.5 lbs. range.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Sounds like hypoglycemia, you just need some more for breakfast. Make your smoothie bigger or eat something in addition like nuts. Don't try to push through that or your gonna end up fainting one day.

Nevermind, looks like you got it!!^^
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    teedub63 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Appreciate your replies. Ive added a snack and am feeling better. Plus lost another 2 lbs last week (thats my goal/wk) yippee!

No wonder you're shaky and headache-y. You're at 1,200 calories a day! Judging by your profile picture, that is probably too aggressive for your goals. Use the tier above to set a goal based on how much you need to lose. Start with eating more than 1,200, and get checked out by a doctor in the interim since you are experiencing these kinds of symptoms.