How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Is it good to weigh yourself everyday? How often do you weigh yourself?

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Nataliethin81 Posts: 315
    Options
    I "try" to weigh myself once a week but I have a serious obsession with seeing those numbers so end up weighing in almost everyday. It's definitely better to weigh only once a week because of fluctuation. You get a more accurate number with weekly weigh ins.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself once a week! I don't want to see my weight spiral up and down day-to-day! I want to c permanent success not failure and give -up! I hope this helps!
  • Twylyght
    Twylyght Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself everyday but I like it much better now that I weigh myself once a week. There is usually a bigger change in one week and I feel like I accomplished much more. I think it is all in your mindset and u need to decide what is best for u!
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Never, unless I have to set a new caloric intake number. Weight fluctuates daily. Bodybuilders have been known to shed 10+ lbs in a matter of days before a contest in water weight. Oftentimes people will go to a buffet and consume a huge meal, only to weigh themselves the day after and to realize they've gained a couple of pounds. When in reality, the case is that they probably consumed too much sodium and retained a lot of water in their body.

THE SCALE IS A LIE

Please do yourself a favor and use a bodyfat caliber instead.
  • misslashon
    misslashon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have OCD and I weigh myself every morning :/
  • eastcoaster
    eastcoaster Posts: 67
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. A lot of people say not to, but I can't resist. Do what works for you, everyone is different.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself every day will see all of the weight fluctuations you deal with on a daily basis. I suggest once a week. I weigh myself every Sunday morning, to make sure that I haven't gone off track on the weekends. First thing in the morning, after going to the bathroom, wearing as little as possible or without any clothes on.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Every single day! Sometimes more...I love it!
    This last week I watched 2.2lbs slowly leave day by day.

For me it is total motivation!
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but I understand that weight fluctuates daily too. The only reason I do a daily weigh in is so that my weight doesn't creep up on me. I only record my weight once a week. Good luck!
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    Options
    I have OCD and I weigh myself every morning :/

DITTO! It is complusive. Even when I know it is not going to be accurate because I am retaining water.
  • jess142
    jess142 Posts: 3
    Options
    I weigh and record almost daily, but I know not to take the fluctuations too seriously. I think it's neat to see how different foods affect bloating.
  • ashleighasbury
    Options
    now that my scale is now in order again, i hve put it in the kitchen and weigh myself every morning. its an obsesson, but i don't get worried about the daily small changes!
  • cm40
    cm40 Posts: 30
    Options
    If you think about one cup of water is 8 oz. Two cups of water is 16 oz. 16 oz = 1 lb.
    So if you drink water, sodas, etc, exercise, go to the bathroom, you can easily fluctuate in weight through out the day. Imagine you only weigh yourself once a week? Is that an accurate measurement? I don't think so, so if you're not take a body composition test the best way to know if you're doing well is in MY opinion is to weigh yourself several times a week under the same condition (same times of day, before meals, after a shower, etc.)

I personally weigh myself about 2 times a day and average my weight out. It's easier for me to say I gained .5 lbs or 1 lb and work on it the next day than it is to be caught by surprise almost a week later and realize I gained 3 or 5.

BUT JUST TO ADD... it's not just about weight either. You need to also looking at what you're doing to your body. Are you improving your health? You can build muscle, burn fat, and may appear to look or even weight the same amount as you did the previous week, but you're still making progress. Most people care only about weight and will try to focus on eating less or try sauna suits, waist trimming belts, etc, when that's only fluid loss.
    But that doesn't mean you're healthier.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Between every 3 months and 2 weeks.

I am very glad I don't weigh myself more than that, as I often don't see a loss over 2 weeks.
  • MsRobin_TheSequel
    MsRobin_TheSequel Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, same day, about the same time. I like the anticipation of waiting...hoping for a 'good' number. Waiting gives me more time to forgive myself for any less than stellar cal moments AND it gives me more time to squeeze in just one more work out =)

Of course, there's the whole weight-fluctuation thing too.

I also round up to the next highest number, that way I have a buffer and a head start on my journey for the next week! Kinda like setting your clock 5 minutes fast I suppose. Ha.

Good luck to you!!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Once a month! I would weigh myself every day, but my husband hid the scale from me. :-) I'm following a plan to lose 1/2 pound a week, so weighing in once a month gives me a good measure of my progress.
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to weighing myself 2 times per month. If I do it more than that then I get a little obsessed and crazy about whatever number is on the scale. I don't want my focus to be on just on my weight. I also put the scale away where I cannot see it so that I am not tempted to use it more often. It works for me because I feel like when I do weigh myself I usually am ready for it and can enjoy it rather than obsessing over a 2lb gain one day or something like that.
  • LucifersHammer
    LucifersHammer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning just before my shower. Weighing in each morning allows me to see an accurate picture of my weight over a period of time. I know that each morning I haven't eaten or consumed any liquids in at least 8 hours. That's the only way to have consistency if you weigh in daily.
  • sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    EEEEEEEVERYDAY! hahaha I have seen my weight go up and down a little due to retaining water, but now I drink 64-100oz of water everyday, so that's not a problem anymore! :) It actually helps me because if my weight goes up or down on certain days, I'll know what foods do and don't work for me! :)
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    Once a week is all I can handle...otherwise I would have destroyed several scales by now. My measurements is where I can really see success, I may have gained a pound or two in muscle but I have lost inches all over.