How to Start Lifting w/ Free Weights

Options
melliebee
melliebee Posts: 187 Member
Hello friends,

I just had my little on 9 months ago. I have successfully lost all of the weight, but I want to take it to the next level!

I'm just wondering if there are any programs for ladies getting into lifting? I have all free weights from 3-60lbs. I want to get fit! iiz4r7ikcnra.jpg

Replies

• heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You already look very fit (muscle definition on your arms and abs) with a low body fat %. Any "fitter" and you are talking about competition (bikini not bodybuilding) level type look. In fact you look like you are more than halfway there. I mean damn girl you even got Adonis belt!!
    If you want to get stronger, lift heavy or do kettlebell
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What are your goals? You look hot.
  • heronh
    Options
    My message got cut off...
    I want to say way to go on losing weight! You look great! What is your workout routine?
  • melliebee
    Options
    Aw you have to be kidding me!! Thank you both so much! I would like to lose 10lbs of fat (I am currently at 136lbs). I want to get a booty! I lost it after having my baby. I hear weight lifting can really help build muscle there!

Currently I do 30 Day Shred, Shred it with Weights and Turbo Fire. I try to do some workout at least 6days/ week.

I want to start a weight routine 3X a week. Would really like an app or guide that works well for others!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you want a booty start doing squats, plie squats, split squats, & forward/backward lunges and do some glute exercises etc hip thrust and kickbacks. Building muscle helps to burn fat so that will help w/ the 10lb weight loss. I would also suggest 20-30 minutes of High Intensity cardio 2 or 3 days a week. I wish you well!
  • heronh
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yep, if you want booty start doing squats with weights. Sumo squats are great for glutes and inner thighs. Make sure you have proper form(video tape yourself) when you do a proper squat you are mainly using glutes, quads and back. If you are felling it too much on you quads,you are not using those big glute muscles. Cannot stress how important proper form is.
    You should be very proud of yourself anything after this is just bonus. ;)
    Check out this webinar on how to build a booty. That chick Rachel Fox is badass. She can lift HEAVY and she has a killer booty. The video should help you http://youtu.be/toFIw_xE9GY
    Good luck
  • blahblah123314
    blahblah123314 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com also has a ton of workouts and programs, some specifially for glute (booty) training. Here is one with Amanda Latona, she's awesome!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Bret Contreras has a lot of glute building workouts, and he has ton of workouts on his blog and guest posts on t-nation.

Also, I don't know if you actually have 10lbs of fat to lose. You have a great body, and you're already relatively lean. If you aren't happy with your body, you may need to actually build muscle. It will definitely be up to you and your goals, but consider it. So many people are concerned by the number on the scale when they really should be just looking at the mirror and working on the look they want to achieve.

And if you are interested in bulking, there are a ton of people with a lot of experience in the gaining weight section. If you do decide you still want to lose, I'd suggest a rather small deficit and definitely utilize those weights. There are plenty of ways to use your dumbbells to get you where you want to be.
  • melliebee
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouragement and the tips!! I am going to get on those squats!

• Joelley1007
    Joelley1007 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com they have hundreds of free videos. They have strength training, cardio , hiit, Pilates, yoga , kick boxing you name it. It's all
    Completely free unless you want to buy one of their programs which is a detailed day by day schedule. They are usually under $10 bucks though. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I was reading this last night and thinking of how to respond.

OP, from what I can tell from your picture, you don't need to lose fat. Do you know what your body fat % is? It looks low enough to bulk. If you want a butt (I believe I saw you post that), you have to eat at a surplus while you're doing your lifting, to build muscle. If you lose more fat at this point, your butt is just going to get smaller too. If you bulk and build it up, then cut, you'll have great results.

Anyway, I rarely comment on someone's physical attributes like this-but I think you look great. I would not lose anymore weight. This is coming from someone who hates hearing that, so please know I'm not trying to annoy you. Ha
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think you look pretty fit already. You look great. I think it would be better for you to not lose any more weight if you want to build some muscle but that's just my opinion!
  • sazzyb_
    sazzyb_ Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You're looking good girl!! If you want a booty then YouTube or bodybuilding.com are definitely the best tools out there to get workout ideas. Roxy Winstanley also has a glute plan which is worth checking out!

Also she's already been mentioned but if you want booty inspiration- search Amanda Latona. That girl is the booty queen!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!