Research into the one fit all diet plan

Options
Hi Everyone,
I don't usually post but I read an article on the BBC website (UK) that really made sense.

The article was about research conducted into the one fits all diet plan by Cambridge/Oxford university and the result: there isn't one, but never fear they have some advice.

Research found they there are three types of people/reasons for over eating:
1. The Feaster, this group generally find that once they start eating they are back and forth to the fridge for more. They found this group don't release much of the hormone that tells the brain it's full. The answer increase your protein intake.
2. The Cravers: this group are hungry all the time, even after a meal. This time the brain have trouble detecting this hormone. The answer a 5:2 diet, normal healthy eating for 5 day and 2 low calorie days.
3. The Emotional Eaters: this group generally comfort eat during periods of anxiety. The answer counselling coupled with a good diet to learn better coping techniques and stress relieving activities.

I really hope this helps it's been great for me, initially I wasn't sure which category I was in but decided on Feaster and it's really helped!

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I am #1,2 and 3. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

yup
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Lol 2nd. Honestly, increasing protein (and maybe fats) could help people described in each category because it's more filling. I have no idea why someone wouldn't rec increasing protein/fat for people who are always hungry.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    One of the great things about MFP is that almost nobody here believes that "one fits all" baloney.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much just a glutton.
  • gillywig995
    Options
    Well I'm a feaster and my sister is a craver and we are both doing really well now. We joined weight watchers some years ago and I excelled but my sister struggled
  • gillywig995
    Options
    It's is just a guideline and I didn't mean it to sound like there are three categories and that's it. This is just what I read in a article, obviously there are a million variables in a persons life that can affect weight loss but this is what Cambridge and Oxford have found so far. They must have found this important enough to publish.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I don't usually post but I read an article on the BBC website (UK) that really made sense.

The article was about research conducted into the one fits all diet plan by Cambridge/Oxford university and the result: there isn't one, but never fear they have some advice.

Research found they there are three types of people/reasons for over eating:
    1. The Feaster, this group generally find that once they start eating they are back and forth to the fridge for more. They found this group don't release much of the hormone that tells the brain it's full. The answer increase your protein intake.
    2. The Cravers: this group are hungry all the time, even after a meal. This time the brain have trouble detecting this hormone. The answer a 5:2 diet, normal healthy eating for 5 day and 2 low calorie days.
    3. The Emotional Eaters: this group generally comfort eat during periods of anxiety. The answer counselling coupled with a good diet to learn better coping techniques and stress relieving activities.

I really hope this helps it's been great for me, initially I wasn't sure which category I was in but decided on Feaster and it's really helped!

I don't believe in synchronicity, but I'll make an exception for this post because I just realized I'm a feaster and I can be a healthy one as long as I feast on the right foods and moderate on some days to make up for it. I lost a pound last week after downing several pounds of meat on Sunday evening. Hey, I went for a hike and came back ravenous, so I feasted. Then I woke up feeling amazing and went for a jog. If I'd feasted on food that whacked my blood sugar and was full of preservatives and dyes, I would have barely dragged myself out of bed next morning.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am #1. If I wake up and don't eat for a while, I am good for the day. If I eat as soon as I get up and open the fridge, I will eat not stop. Just to eat. I can be full and still want more.
  • auntchellebelle
    auntchellebelle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much just a glutton.

Me too at times
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I am #1. If I wake up and don't eat for a while, I am good for the day. If I eat as soon as I get up and open the fridge, I will eat not stop. Just to eat. I can be full and still want more.

This too! I try to wait to eat as long as I can because of this. The later I eat, the less annoying my day is.
  • angelrn1224
    Options
    I'm a Feaster too, but a little of #3...I know once I get started...OH BOY....watch out. So what I've been doing is pausing before I start the feast. I rethink what has happened in the past and how I felt. Then I quickly analyze, based on how I'm feeling (#3). Will I be able to tell myself to stay within normal limits or am I thinking that I won't have any control until the entire bag of chips and carton of dip is gone...
    I've done WW in the past with hitting goal 2x's and NOT a bunch of others. I had to think of why was it successful before and not now? It was me. It was my thinking. It was what I was willing to do. It was me rethinking. Whether I "succeeded or not" was up to me. The problem is that I've always been motivated by group activities and like the high of being a part of something. But when others would go off plan or eat something they shouldn't, my mind told me it was okay if I did the same. Sometimes I would and sometimes I wouldn't.
    Another area I continue to need to work on is my feelings of self-worth, and I need to stop comparing myself to anyone else!
    I find myself doing self-talks in my head throughout the day and this helps.
    Just some random ramblings on a Saturday...
    ps - I just rejoined up here on MFP. I've used it in the past with good success. I need to remind myself that life is a journey and I am in control. Somedays will be a roller coaster ride and others will be smooth sailing...