New Keto-er, looking for some friends :)

Options
Hey everyone!

I've been doing calorie-tracking diets for years now (with another website), but this time it's different! My biggest problems have always been overcoming the psychological strain of the dreaded plateu. It's broken my will power so many times! This time I'm doing things differently. I'm weighing myself only once a month, restricting calories and excluding carbs completely, and focusing on a new LIFESTYLE instead of a new DIET.

The ketogenic lifestyle is endlessly fascinating to me, and I'm so glad that I've gotten through the first week (boy, my body sure did protest against my carb restrictions!). Problem is I've been irritating close ones about my constant keto talk (I get it, I get annoyed when someone goes on about a new diet in a way which makes it sound like they've suddenly become superiror to everyone else), so I'm looking for some internet buddies to chat with online.

If you're into keto or low carb, please let me know and we can hang out in this MFP virtual playground!

Replies

• statrixbob
    statrixbob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aloha! Good luck!

I've been cutting back carbs heavily since October or so and have lost about 32 lbs since October. Overall I'm down about 46 lbs since last April, but I didn't start limiting carbs and thinking about keto till the fall. As you can see, most of my drop has been after cutting the carbs.

Currently I'm trying to keep myself under 100 gr a day and doing pretty well with it, generally under 75.

My blood sugar A1C has gone down from sweet (not quite diabetic but not good) to high normal and while my overall cholesterol has gone up my risks have dropped because my HDL has gone up far more than my LDL. My doctor is quite pleased with both my weight loss and my blood work.

I started all this after getting a hip replacement last April. Because my movement was so dramatically improved I upped my walking (I already bicycled a lot as it didn't hurt). So overall my exercise is up, my carbs and weight way down.

You might want to check out the Eat Bacon, Don't Jog website for a friendly and fun read. It's run by a fellow who runs a great bicycle business which is how I got into all this (I have a couple of his bikes).

Bob
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    PiculiDar I have been doing less than 50 grams of carbs daily for four months now. My first two weeks were hellish but my health was poor after 40 years of abusing carbs of all types. You are correct to look at is as an eating lifestyle vs a new diet.

There is nothing magical about it science wise but the way cravings just fade over time can give it a magical like air.

Welcome to MFP. The site is loaded with features for tracking your interest.
  • AMTaylor1980
    AMTaylor1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started keto 10 days ago after my doctor told me I needed to lose 5-15 lbs to get my BP (140s/90s) and cholesterol (291 and not favorable ratios) down or seriously think about meds. He wanted to write me a script that day for the BP but I refused. He recommended a low carb diet, so why not go all the way? Plus I honestly need to lose more than just 5-15 lbs. I'm trying to stay around 20 net carbs since I go back in 3 months for a recheck. My brain was pretty grumpy the first week, but I'm doing pretty good now. Lost about 1/2 lb a day though I know it's water. At least walking to the bathroom so many more times a day is exercise, right? :smiley: I don't have anyone to talk to either. My BF couldn't care less about nutrition & all my other friends are either fit, don't care, or still drinking the conventional wisdom kool-aid.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to watch your electrolytes, especially when you're first starting out on keto. You'll be a super unhappy camper otherwise.
    I've been using chicken broth to help out.
    I was also buying those packets you add to water (like Emergen-C, but low / no carb). You can get those at health food stores if your local grocery store doesn't carry them. After my SO pointed out that the packets cost as much per serving, if not more, than his Aminolast, I decided to buy a canister of that instead.

-T.
  • PeculiDar
    Options
    So great to hear from you all :)
    I've added you to my friends list and am really looking forward to seeing your updates show up on my daily newsfeed!

Yay for keto-friends :)
  • meredithmz
    Options
    Hi i started keto, I'm learning ive been reading a book called Keto Clarity that I'm loving.
  • qhorseperson
    qhorseperson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please add me.,. I'm looking for some people who are eating the Ketogenic diet. I'm trying optimal Ketogenic living diet. Eating very low carbs. Looking at this being a sustainable lifestyle. I've lost 100 lbs on ideal protein since March of 2014. I have 13 lbs to lose to get to my original goal weight of 140 lbs. I want to use the Ketogenic diet to complete that goal. Perhaps lose a bit more to get my body fat down some more. Currently body fat at 37 percent and weight 152 lbs. please add me as a friend.
  • cookie_monster35
    Options
    Good luck!! :D
  • naveenlb
    naveenlb Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I will share my honest review on low carb diet.

Low carb diet is fascinating because we can eat our favorite foods without counting calories. But the problem with most of the people are that they think eating fruits and vegetable carbs are not good for weight loss. That is one stupid thing to do. Being healthy should be the first preference then comes the best shape of the body. I workout regularly like 6-7 times a week including 3 strength training, 2 yoga for stretching and 1 sprint routine. I am eating less than 100 grams of carbs a day since 2 months. I eat those carbs mainly after my workout only which includes rice and vegetables. Rest of the day I eat chicken, eggs, olive oil, protein shakes, cheese. I don't like butter since my childhood.
    I have lost about 8 pounds of fat in 2 months and look toned as well. I have got no more fat to lose.

I like to eat carbs because they taste good and I feel good emotionally.

My advice: Workout, eat a balanced diet which includes fruit and vegetable carbs. No need to exclude starchy vegetables.

I don't know why you want to lose weight, you look fine to me.
  • PeculiDar
    PeculiDar Posts: 18
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your point of view, Naveen.
    naveenlb wrote: »
    Low carb diet is fascinating because we can eat our favorite foods without counting calories.
    Maybe some people do this, but I am a firm believer in counting calories. Even when I'm not trying to restrict, I find it's imperative to know exactly what I'm consuming. Nowadays it's becoming harder and harder to guess-timate the calorie content of certain foods (especially when eating out!), so I don't think this is an issue.
    I workout regularly like 6-7 times a week including 3 strength training, 2 yoga for stretching and 1 sprint routine. I am eating less than 100 grams of carbs a day since 2 months. I eat those carbs mainly after my workout only which includes rice and vegetables. Rest of the day I eat chicken, eggs, olive oil, protein shakes, cheese. I don't like butter since my childhood.
    You sound really healthy! Obviously if you're consuming (sugar) carbs after workouts you will burn them instantly. Unfortunately, unlike you I don't have as much time (or, quite frankly, self-motivation) to workout 6-7 times a week. I have a very busy university schedule and I work part-time afternoons. I try to get in a minimum of 2 proper workouts per week, and usually average at around 4 workouts a week. I like cardio, weight training, swimming and team sports.
    I don't know why you want to lose weight, you look fine to me.
    I thank you for the compliment, but I have a BMI of around 27-28 (upper overweight range). Because I am 5'11 (181cm) tall, my extra weight is more evenly spread out and allows me to keep a basic feminine shape. However, I still feel it is unhealthy to be overweight.

My last reason for choosing no carbs, is because I have serious insulin resistence problems (PCOS) and therefore I believe someone like me really NEEDS the keto lifestyle.

I'll be sure to check out your website! Thanks for sharing.
  • miketoryan
    miketoryan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i'm doing keto. anyone that wants to add me can.
  • naveenlb
    Options
    @PeculiDar: Yes, I am healthy. I don't smoke, drink and I don't party much. I don't eat biscuits as well. I usually make smart choices regarding food intakes. I occasionally eat junk foods as well for all the hard work I am doing it to myself.

Best of luck to you in all the endeavors of life.

FYI :

Keto diet : 70-80% fat, 10-15% protein, remaining carbs.
    Atkins diet : 50-60% fat, 25-35% protein, remaining carbs [Usually less than 30grams].
    Low carb diet: Usually less than 100 grams of carbs if exercising, or less than 50 grams in no exercise. Remaining fats and protein.
  • statrixbob
    statrixbob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PeculiDar wrote: »
    You sound really healthy! Obviously if you're consuming (sugar) carbs after workouts you will burn them instantly. Unfortunately, unlike you I don't have as much time (or, quite frankly, self-motivation) to workout 6-7 times a week. I have a very busy university schedule and I work part-time afternoons. I try to get in a minimum of 2 proper workouts per week, and usually average at around 4 workouts a week. I like cardio, weight training, swimming and team sports.

I'm lucky with exercise living in Hawaii. I am able to use a bicycle as my main mode of transportation and do it daily. Generally I get in at least 10 miles a day as well as taking two one mile walks on breaks from work. I mostly did that before going keto but wasn't losing any weight - now, of course, that's changed.

I do need to add back in some upper body workouts. We have a gym at work and I've go off and on, sadly more off than on since the holidays.

Aloha!
  • PeculiDar
    Options
    That's so lucky :)

I grew up in the southern part of Africa, so I was a really active child. I LOVED my bike, wouldn't go anywhere without it... Now I live in Russia, in a large city with over 5 million people, and I heavily rely on public transportation (especially during winter time).

Also, the cold always brings me down.

Living in Hawaii sounds like a dream!!
  • AMTaylor1980
    AMTaylor1980 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    statrixbob wrote: »

I'm lucky with exercise living in Hawaii. I am able to use a bicycle as my main mode of transportation and do it daily. Generally I get in at least 10 miles a day as well as taking two one mile walks on breaks from work.

I miss being some place where almost everything is accessible by foot or bike! Every time I go see family in Taipei or Singapore I eat like crazy and don't gain an ounce from all the walking. Plus the beautiful weather on a tropical island! I could totally do without four seasons and just be warm all year.

• joey858mfp
    joey858mfp Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been on a low carb duet since Sept. I'm down almost 70 lbs. but from a healthcare point if view, it's important that our bodies have some carbs daily. A lower, 25g of carbs per day is good for 2 week induction, after that, 30-50g is more healthy. If you are to low, long term you can cause kidney damage. See a doctor regularly to have blood tests and have all levels checked, ei: B12, iron, electrolytes, etc. also make sure you're taking a good multi vitamin.
  • naveenlb
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is what I eat 4 days a week [Low carb diet]. Other 2 days high carb 150 grams], 1 day moderate carb[70 grams].

9 am - 3 scrambled eggs (large) cooked in 2 pats[10grams total] of butter, with any veggies you prefer such as peppers, diced onion, mushrooms, spinach, etc. This meal contains about 330 calories and 20-22 grams of protein.

12 am - Whey protein shake, 3 fish oil softgels and 3 ounces of strawberries or blueberries. This meal contains about 157 calories and 22-25 grams of protein.

3 pm - 2 pieces of regular fat string cheese and one ounce of almonds. This meal contains about 324 calories and 22 grams of protein.

Dinner (post-workout) - 10 ounces of baked, boneless and skinless chicken breast. (312 calories and 65 grams of protein)
    Sour cream and salsa topping for chicken breast. Combine 2 ounces of full-fat, natural sour cream with 2 ounces of salsa. (141 calories and 2 grams of protein)
    Spinach salad. 2 cups of spinach, 2 tablespoons of olive oil along with 4 tablespoons of red wine vinegar (dressing), salt and pepper to taste, 1/2 diced onion, 10 halved cherry tomatoes, 3 ounces of diced mozzarella (full-fat) cheese, one ounce of diced black olives. (631 calories and 23.2 grams of protein)

Pre-bed Snack - Protein shake, 3 fish oil softgels and a medium apple. This meal contains about 213 calories and 25 grams of protein.

Total calories around 2100.
  • Justheretodome
    Justheretodome Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    PeculiDar wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

I've been doing calorie-tracking diets for years now (with another website), but this time it's different! My biggest problems have always been overcoming the psychological strain of the dreaded plateu. It's broken my will power so many times! This time I'm doing things differently. I'm weighing myself only once a month, restricting calories and excluding carbs completely, and focusing on a new LIFESTYLE instead of a new DIET.

The ketogenic lifestyle is endlessly fascinating to me, and I'm so glad that I've gotten through the first week (boy, my body sure did protest against my carb restrictions!). Problem is I've been irritating close ones about my constant keto talk (I get it, I get annoyed when someone goes on about a new diet in a way which makes it sound like they've suddenly become superiror to everyone else), so I'm looking for some internet buddies to chat with online.

If you're into keto or low carb, please let me know and we can hang out in this MFP virtual playground!

Hi... New/back.
    I don't know how to add!?!? :P
  • janentmurray
    janentmurray Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Please add me too ;) I've just had baby no7, 3 months ago and my weight isn't shifting at all so I've decided to do the keto diet....I did it before and lost some weight but then got pregnant.....I'm in Australia but would like to make some friends wherever you all are, thanks :)
  • PeculiDar
    Options
    Wow! 7 kids and you look absolutely stunning in your picture! I think it's so impressive when moms take care of their bodies! Not only are you prolonging the time you get to spend with your children, you're also being a great role model. SO inspirational :smile: