Carbs or Protein

Options
Which burns fat and provides energy better, carbs or protein? my carb intake is about 150g a day but I struggle to get near my protein goal without adding to my fat intake.

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Neither. Calorie deficits and exercise burn fat. Eating your allotted calories and sleeping well provides energy.
    Also, MFP sets the protein and fat goals low. Don't be afraid to go over those.
    Protein and lower fat is easy- choose chicken, turkey, or other lean cuts of red meat. Also consider beans or tofu.
  • rmyers14
    rmyers14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You need to eat lean protein sources to keep your fat low. Food=energy, but food doesn't=fat burning.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Neither. Calorie deficits and exercise burn fat. Eating your allotted calories and sleeping well provides energy.
    Protein and lower fat is easy- choose chicken, turkey, or other lean cuts of red meat. Also consider beans or tofu.

• lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    lisaw19855 wrote: »
    Which burns fat and provides energy better, carbs or protein?

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

Back that truck up a minute there, Skippy - you think foods <boggle> "burn fat" ... and that different types of foods [macro nutrients] do such at "better" and presumably worse rates??!?

O ...... K ......

No need to be a sarcastic know it all, we are all here to learn!!
  • lisaw19855
    Options

I just find so much conflicting info, eg apparently carbs are awful things etc I rarely go over fat but don't seem to get as much protein as I probably should because I worry I'll go over my fat allowance.

I eat a lot of chicken, rarely red meat, I eat fish twice a week too so probably should stop worrying about maybe eating those things more than once in a day.
  • lisaw19855
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

Back that truck up a minute there, Skippy - you think foods <boggle> "burn fat" ... and that different types of foods [macro nutrients] do such at "better" and presumably worse rates??!?

O ...... K ......

There was, indeed, a need - and I am here to serve all sarcasm needs.

At your age I'd have thought you would have got past the need to belittle and patronise those who may not be as knowledgeable as you think you are, and instead learned to use that knowledge to guide those who want to learn.

Negativity and belittling does not help those who are working hard to find out more about their bodies and improve health.
  • lisaw19855
    Options
    I don't need to accept you, and I've not time for games. So go and find something constructive to do.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

O ...... K ......

At your age I'd have thought you would have got past the need to belittle and patronise those who may not be as knowledgeable as you think you are, and instead learned to use that knowledge to guide those who want to learn.

Negativity and belittling does not help those who are working hard to find out more about their bodies and improve health.

We can play this game all day long, can't we?

I'm entertained enough to stick around.

Or ... you can just accept me for who I am and move on with your life, right?

It's your move ...

So, belittling people to see if they dare to stick around is a game to you? *smdh*

OP, if you're just starting out, it can all be very confusing, especially with so much bro science and outdated info out there.

Basically, the deficit is what will cause you to lose weight. That means you're burning more calories than you're taking in, so your body has to use some of the energy stored in your body to make up the difference (ie. burn fat and unfortunately muscle too).

It is advisable to start a lifting program while you're losing weight, because it will help protect muscle and cause your body to burn more fat instead of muscle. Also, eating adequate protein will help...this is usually touted as 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

Fat is also important because that's what your brain uses for energy. Eating very low fat can cause some side effects including poor concentration and memory, and even gallstones.

Personally, I mostly pay attention to my protein goal. I have no health issues so I don't worry about sugar or sodium. I just try to hit protein every day, since I lift and want to keep my muscle, and I don't avoid fat, so I let the fat and carb counts take care of themselves.
  • lisaw19855
    Options

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!

O ...... K ......

We can play this game all day long, can't we?

I'm entertained enough to stick around.

Or ... you can just accept me for who I am and move on with your life, right?

It's your move ...

So, belittling people to see if they dare to stick around is a game to you? *smdh*

OP, if you're just starting out, it can all be very confusing, especially with so much bro science and outdated info out there.

Basically, the deficit is what will cause you to lose weight. That means you're burning more calories than you're taking in, so your body has to use some of the energy stored in your body to make up the difference (ie. burn fat and unfortunately muscle too).

It is advisable to start a lifting program while you're losing weight, because it will help protect muscle and cause your body to burn more fat instead of muscle. Also, eating adequate protein will help...this is usually touted as 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass.

Fat is also important because that's what your brain uses for energy. Eating very low fat can cause some side effects including poor concentration and memory, and even gallstones.

Personally, I mostly pay attention to my protein goal. I have no health issues so I don't worry about sugar or sodium. I just try to hit protein every day, since I lift and want to keep my muscle, and I don't avoid fat, so I let the fat and carb counts take care of themselves.

Thank you that makes a lot of sense, I do cardio through horse riding and using a stationary bike.

My job (10 hours a week) involves mucking out, filling and hanging haynets so is heavy work but I squat too (although my weights are far too light) I work out at home as can't afford a gym but from what you've said I should be looking at getting more protein into my body.

I have lost 12lbs in 5 weeks but keen to retain my strength and lean body mass because I don't want to be fat and slim (if that makes sense) I have already discovered the side effects if I drop below 100g carbs on an active day unfortunately and if I don't have enough fat.

Luckily I love chicken lol will swapping from probitoic yoghurt's to greek yoghurt help my protein intake?
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    And fat too, please... Wait, what...? I thought it was a menu choice :)

On topic, I think what you probably have in mind is " which is more readily convertible to fat" or sth like this? If you are eating at a deficit, neither will be stored as fat (fat in your food won't either) so you're safe. As far as I know you need all three to function properly all the time. And having all three in your meals is likely to increase satiety and taste/flavour and make you stick with weight loss longer :) and make it easier to eat socially with family and friends, to cook, shop, to learn how to eat all three after weight loss so you don't gain the fat back....

So yeah, I guess I would recommend both, "and fat too, please" :)

ETA: basically what SnuggleSmacks said, didn't see it before. Good luck finding a sustainable nutrition approach to your goals!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ignore your fat intake. As long as you are eating healthy fats it doesn't matter how high the intake is. Mine is commonly around 60g/day. Burgers & pizza & fried foods are definitely not healthy fats.

This should help you get to your protein goal. A protein shake might also be worth considering.
  • lisaw19855
    Options
    I know I need to stop being scared of fat lol I have very little saturated fat and some fat I eat isn't healthy fat but the majority does come from yoghurts, chicken, eggs, fish.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @lisaw19855‌ that's OK, I'm scared of carbs and lake water monsters lurking to pull me to a watery grave. *shudder*

Sounds like your on the right track. Nuts and avacado are also good fat sources. Don't let the calories scare you, just make adjustments and eat sensible portions.

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    MFP is low for macros and calories, try taking a look at scooby calculator. Been using that one for awhile now and its been working great!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I know I need to stop being scared of fat lol I have very little saturated fat and some fat I eat isn't healthy fat but the majority does come from yoghurts, chicken, eggs, fish.

Healthy fats are poly and monounsaturated...so a lot of what you listed aren't really healthy fats (like chicken, eggs, dairy...)

Fatty fish like Salmon have healthy fats. So do avocados, nuts, olives, and soy, so think about those things when you cook...choose oils from those sources, like olive oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, etc.

That's not to say that you need to stay away from chicken, dairy, etc. but try to increase the good fats in addition to that, and eat "animal" fats in moderation (ie. burgers, sausage, bacon, etc.)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Fat is also satiating (feeling full). Why do you think low carb diets work in the beginning for most. Low carb dieters end up feeling more full and thus eating less calories on average than they were eating before.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When I first started the keto diet, I had a hard time getting my protein / calories / fat all balanced out. I added greek yogurt and BAM. Protein. Unfortunately the carbs are a little high for me, so I end up having a half serving and add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream. And vanilla extract. And a couple drops of stevia. >_>
    If you're struggling to get your protein up, using real greek yogurt (like Fage brand) may indeed help.

-T.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken tenderloins and fish filets and shrimp. Those are my main, go-to proteins. I find it easy to hit my protein macro if I make sure I eat about 12 ounces of one of those per day. I use Greek yogurt a lot for dessert or for cooking (just made Greek yogurt souffles today!) so it fills any gaps.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken tenderloins.

I am sorry, but what is a chicken's tenderloin? I thought only animals with four legs had them. Or are we talking of chicken breast? Chickens don't have much meat around their loins...