Do carb make you fatter, like really or just technically?

Options
Ok so I had a question. I am someone who loves to eat pasta. Someone said taht carb will make you more fat because usually there is more in food and so more calories. But does fat gain only rely on calories or like eating sugar and a carb while staying in calorie limit will still make you not gain/loose fat?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    The only way you will get fat is if you keep eating more than you should... Eat whatever you like, whenever you like and stay at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. :smile:
  • stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories causes weight gain, whether they are carbs or not. Some things, such as pasta, are just more calorie dense so it is easier to eat a large amount of calories in one sitting. A serving of pasta is not very much, but if you load it with veggies and chicken it is still a very satisfying meal. So long as you're watching/weighing your portions you don't have to worry about carbs/sugar...unless of course you have a medical issue. But most people could technically lose weight eating pasta for every meal as long as they watch their portions.
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eating too many calories causes weight gain, whether they are carbs or not. Some things, such as pasta, are just more calorie dense so it is easier to eat a large amount of calories in one sitting. A serving of pasta is not very much, but if you load it with veggies and chicken it is still a very satisfying meal. So long as you're watching/weighing your portions you don't have to worry about carbs/sugar...unless of course you have a medical issue. But most people could technically lose weight eating pasta for every meal as long as they watch their portions.
    The only way you will get fat is if you keep eating more than you should... Eat whatever you like, whenever you like and stay at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. :smile:

Ok good, not that this is confirmed I don't have to worry. So it all goes down to calorie, right?

Thanks,

• rmyers14
    rmyers14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, calories in vs calories out is the key. But that doesn't mean that 75% of your daily cals should come from carbs. Make sure you have a healthy balance of protein, carbs, and fat.
  • NarwhalofNight
    NarwhalofNight Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    rmyers14 wrote: »
    Yes, calories in vs calories out is the key. But that doesn't mean that 75% of your daily cals should come from carbs. Make sure you have a healthy balance of protein, carbs, and fat.

But if I have to do it, mostly on hockey days, will it still make me more fat or not? I know it can make me more hungry but if I can resist.

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You burn off carbs when you exercise, so if you eat carbs and do no exercise then likelyhood is that you will gain weight, or maintain at the very least! Switching to brown pasta is better for you, and making sure you have the right portion size, i.e. a fist size amount.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    You can live on 1200 calories a day of pizza and beer and lose weight, but it's not the same as being healthy. If all you are interested in is making the number on the scale go down, eat whatever you want at a deficit. If you want to live as long as possible, you need to be a little more particular about a lot of factors, carbs just being one of many
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Worry more about overall calories.
    http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2013/05/do-carbohydrates-turn-into-fat.html
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-overfeeding-overview-high-fat-carb.html
    "In the short run, like on refeed days, for example, carbohydrate overfeeding has another advantage over fat overfeeding, because it takes roughly 500g of carbohydrates (that's 2,000kcal) before even a single gram of those carbs is converted to fat and potentially, but not necessarily stored as body fat (Acheson. 1988) - at "only" 400kcal extra from carbs for one day there was no net lipogenesis at all (see Figure 5). This result is corroborated by data from McDevitt et al. (2000) who observed that the fat gain with fat overfeeding starts with day 1, while there is a time gap in the increase in body fat with carbohydrate overfeeding (McDevitt. 2000).
  • whitespider360
    whitespider360 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I read that carbs turn into sugar in your body. I am on a low carb diet and have lost 14 pounds this month by cutting out carbs.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think carbs are just usually more calorie dense. If you eat smaller portions then it's fine but I like to eat more protein like chicken because you get more bang for your buck. I ate a huge plate of chicken stir fry with vegetables and about 100 calories worth of rice and it ended up being about 378 calories and it was a huuuuge serving
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    How and when did this irrational fear of carbohydrates come to be...it's *kitten* annoying and stupid.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Okay, if it ain't protein or fat, it's carbs. Period. (the apple, the broccoli AND the spinach, too)

If you're using "carbs" to mean tuber or grain-based foods (potatoes, pasta, rice, bread), yes, they are calorie dense per volume (which is why they're cultural staples. They provide enough calories overall to sustain a population cheaply), so it's really easy to over-eat on them, but you know, there are part of Asia that has a significantly higher carbohydrate intake and a significantly lower incidence of obesity than the US. It's down to calories at that point.

The reason a low-carb diet works is that it's REALLY HARD to overeat on lean protein and veggies.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes, overeating carbs will make you gain weight, just like overeating any other calorie source will make you gain weight.
    One reason most people see an immediate weight gain after eating carbs (such as a big spaghetti dinner) is because carbs take several grams of water to process each gram of carbs, so you have water weight gain.

Yes, spider, carbs are sugar. Your body makes them into glucose (blood sugar, which the body runs on) and glycogen (carb storage in the liver & muscles).
    You should not "cut out carbs" because it is unhealthy.
    You could eat lower levels of carbohydrates, and especially lower levels of simple/empty sugars (such as candy or white bread) in favor of healthier complex carbs (vegetables, whole grains, beans).

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein to stay within the healthy macro ranges.

In my newbie help post I compiled links to helpful info, including sexypants, logging accurately, goal setting, including weight, calories, and macros, and motivation.

Have a look at the goal setting post... it includes a link to a table showing the healthy macro ranges & percentages.
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

51637601.png
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    How and when did this irrational fear of carbohydrates come to be...it's *kitten* annoying and stupid.

In the 90s, it was a fear of fat.

*shrugs* If it appears in a so-called fitness mag where being sexy is the point, I know I'm being sold something and generally don't bother to listen.

• ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I love pasta, too, and my family enjoys eating lots of different pasta dishes so I had to figure out a way to work it into my daily calorie goal. Usually, it does mean having less of the actual pasta and more of what I'm eating with it. I also try to separate my own portion so I know exactly how much of the pasta I am having. I usually have a large serving of vegetables to go with it (broccoli or cauliflower with a dusting of parmesan), so I no longer mind the smaller portions of pasta anymore. My family has gotten used to it, too, so that's good for them as well. We usually skip the bread we used to eat with it as well. Talk about a lot of calories saved!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Yea really. So over it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

*shrugs* If it appears in a so-called fitness mag where being sexy is the point, I know I'm being sold something and generally don't bother to listen.
    protein's on the chopping block next- we all know it's coming.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

protein's on the chopping block next- we all know it's coming.

then we'll all just have to suck air and drink water and go into "starvation mode"
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Probably about the same time low carb diets started a come back.