Curry/Indian Recipes

Options
I'm craving curry right now, or some kind of Indian chicken or chickpea dish. Does anyone have any good, relatively low calorie recipes they can share? Preferably made with coconut milk (I'm lactose-free) and that I can make in a pot (I don't have a slow cooker or a pressure cooker). Thanks!

Replies

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I've made a healthy chicken balti in the past ... think it was diced chicken breast, a couple of chopped beef tomatoes, 1 onion, handful of spinach, tbsp balti curry paste, ginger, seasoning, boiled water ... someting like that anyways! Lol I got it from Closer magazine but lost the actual recipe so last time I made it I just tasted it along the way!
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love Indian cooking. My wife works in Afghanistan and several of the kitchen workers in the camp she has been in for the past couple weeks are Indian and keep bringing her dal, curry and flatbread so that she can pull my chain when we describe what we ate that day. How about some dal?

1 lb yellow lentils
    1 medium onion chopped
    2 roma tomatoes chopped
    1 cup finely chopped spinach
    2 tsp coriander
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp ginger
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 tsp turmeric

I don't know how authentic it is, but it works for me. As always I cook by how things look and smell and no dish is ever the same. Use some discretion in preparation. If you want things a little more authentic you can add some chilis, the hotter the better according to my Indian friends.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I love red lentils with finely chopped onion and Garam Masala spice mixture. It smells heavenly, with lovely blend of sweet and spicy.
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just had quick and easy chana masala from the Oh she glows cookbook. I just googled it and the recipe shows up for you (website was vegan yumminess) - I did not have cumin seeds used ground cumin1 1/2 teaspoon and did not have a chile pepper. YUM!
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm Indian, so here's an authentic recipe. No coconut milk in north Indian dishes.

Brown a lot of diced onions (on low heat for a while - kind of like carmelizing them) in a bit of olive oil and then puree this in a blenderblender. Then add crushed ginger and garlic and brown all of it together (jarred is good, it needs to be like a paste). Now add chicken pieces (you can use either beef/meatballs/kidney beans/chickpeas instead) and season them with salt, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander powder, and turmeric. Add a little tomato paste (maybe like 1 tbsp? when its all mixed together it should be a light brown color, not too red) and enough water to cover the chicken, bring it to a rapid boil for a few minutes, then let it simmer and cook down for a while.

Sorry I don't have measurements - use much more spices, onions etc than you would think, our food is very flavorful so don't be stingy. You'll get the hang of the quantities by cooking it more and tasting while you're cooking. If you need to add more onions/spices at the end, just bring it to a boil again afterwards and simmer for a bit.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    UrbanLotus wrote: »
    I'm Indian, so here's an authentic recipe. No coconut milk in north Indian dishes.

Brown a lot of diced onions (on low heat for a while - kind of like carmelizing them) in a bit of olive oil and then puree this in a blenderblender. Then add crushed ginger and garlic and brown all of it together (jarred is good, it needs to be like a paste). Now add chicken pieces (you can use either beef/meatballs/kidney beans/chickpeas instead) and season them with salt, red chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander powder, and turmeric. Add a little tomato paste (maybe like 1 tbsp? when its all mixed together it should be a light brown color, not too red) and enough water to cover the chicken, bring it to a rapid boil for a few minutes, then let it simmer and cook down for a while.

Sorry I don't have measurements - use much more spices, onions etc than you would think, our food is very flavorful so don't be stingy. You'll get the hang of the quantities by cooking it more and tasting while you're cooking. If you need to add more onions/spices at the end, just bring it to a boil again afterwards and simmer for a bit.

Ooh, that sounds good, and I have almost all of those ingredients already. Thanks!

Everyone's recipes are great, thanks. Looks like my boyfriend and I will be cooking Indian Monday night, so my cravings will be sated soon.